Losing a Job Because of COVID-19?

Seeing how several of us foreigners here in Taiwan are teachers in both the public schools and in the private sector, a concern has crossed my mind. Even though Taiwan is handling the COVID-19 situation well, there are some people who speculate that it will get worse in the near future. If it does get worse, a lot of sectors will be negatively effected, such as the airline industry and the loses in the stock markets that will result in companies loosing millions of dollars. When companies listed on the stock markets lose a lot of points and a lot of money, that will result in the shedding of jobs, needless to say.
I believe that our health is the most important thing to help keep us going. But when a contagious virus is spreading around, it is a threat to our health. I do not have much fear over COVID-19 because 3% of people who had COVID -19 have died and 55% have recovered. But here is the point: I am teaching for a local public school with 1300 students enrolled. None of them came down with COVID-19 which means no 14-day quarantine thank God. What I am concerned about is whether or not it is true that COVID-19 will get worse later and if we will risk losing our jobs because if it. For foreign teachers in the private sector, they may face greater job loss because if the fears over COVID-19 should result in the tanking of the economy, many parents who have their children enrolled in private schools or buxibans will not have as much money anymore to send their kids to these schools. So you will think teachers like me are better off in the public school system with a more increased enrollment right? Wrong.
As I said health is the most important thing for us. And if the COVID-19 pandemic gets worse, it may be very likely that some of us foreign teachers may not have our contracts renewed over concerns of our health. I could be wrong myself because perhaps by June we could turn the corner on Coronavirus. We just don’t know what’s going to happen, but if you will face a job loss here in Taiwan over the concern regarding COVID-19, don’t be surprised. It may be upsetting, but it will be for our own good. All I can do is hope and pray for positive outcomes as we battle COVID-19.

1 Like

I’m hoping people will double down on spending towards education.

start learning how to teach your students in an online format. that’s the next phase of preventive measures if the virus worsens.
those ahead of the game in this regard will be the “winners”

I could consider that. But most of these online jobs don’t pay much.

no, that’s not my meaning.
you may teach for public school thru online format. like other local teachers at public school.
start learning about it so you can show your principal you can do it, if/when the time comes

1 Like

You have a 42% gap.

3 Likes

Teaching is not related to a tourism industry like airlines or hotels. I don’t think it’ll be affected. If things get worse, classes will probably just go online for a few months.

1 Like

42% not recovered yet? Or is that too obvious?

3 Likes

They can still die, in Italy mortality is like 6-7%?

I think one of us is missing the other’s point - could well be me - so I’ll call it a day.

1 Like

Any of us could lose our job over this we don’t really know all the repercussions and how it will all play out. Things are changing so fast.

My uni has lost around 20% of its student intake. I almost lost two classes because I couldn’t hit the minimum student requirement. It required a lot of charm on my part to attract more students.

It’s messy.

1 Like

did it happen to involve some of those condoms you finagled away from @Hanna ?

1 Like

a lot of people worldwide are worried about losing jobs and income. me too.

If anyone has a job that is tied to the markets, or tied to an industry that is effected by the economic slump caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, they will most likely be on the losing end.

My school had someone walk around and have all the teachers check off if we’d be willing to teach online if the virus got bad. I was the last person to be asked and I was like “yeah I don’t really care. Something to do all day while holed up at home" and the person with the clipboard just pointed to every other teacher’s check on “不願意” (not willing) and I just went with it. Guess our school will have a huge fight on their hands if this all needs to go digital.

1 Like

I dislike teaching online (did it for 2 weeks in February), but you gotta do what you gotta do. It’s weird that you have some anti-online mafia at your workplace that’s trying to pressure you. Are the other teachers older? Boomers aren’t that comfortable with it.

No I think it’s because a lot of them have kindy and elementary aged kids. If they’re teaching online, their kids are going to have to learn online, and they can’t supervise their kids while also trying to teach their students.
TBH what kid has the self control to do their homework and not get sidetracked down the rabbit hole of everything else on the internet? The only reason I didn’t fail high school was because we had dial up

3 Likes

These are legit questions.

Right now there is a travel ban on teachers and students from leaving Taiwan until the end of the semester. The semester at my school ends on July 14th, 2020. It would not be fair for me not to be able to leave Taiwan until August because I am scheduled for an appointment with my hematologist in Canada for July 27 when school will be out.

But because of all this trouble over the COVID-19 pandemic, I will not be surprised if my school does not renew my contract if economic woes occur as a result. And I would not be surprised if my contract does not get renewed if they want me to return to Canada for my own good if this pandemic continues until this summer. I want to renew my contract but I will still brace for rejection.