Losing APRC due to DUI?

Is Betal nut driving illegal ?

Truck drivers do it all the time

36 posts were split to a new topic: Alleged racism in Taiwan’s immigration system (2019 edition)

This rock is a very confusing place to exist. At least I don’t have to do a papillon to get off it, not yet anyway ha

2 Likes

There’s a pretty interesting clip here around 4mins+ that kind of shows how that will look. Thankfully she did manage to enter Japan in the end.

1 Like

It depends on the country. I heard of a common law precedent along the lines of you can’t deport someone to limbo.

2 Likes

So try and get deported to Switzerland rather than say Cambodia if one was stateless.

This is probably due to the foreign labourers getting caught drink driving on electric bikes or scooters .

Yes.

To revoke ARC or APRC, a year or more of imprisonment, but I guess MOL can revoke work permits with lower threshold.

When you are an alcoholic, and drink daily or a weekend alcoholic, they don’t want to get a taxi.
Alcohol is a terrible thing when abused because it leads to so many problems like driving when drunk. :rage:

Ain’t that the truth. Relative of mine wrecked my car and had to pay a fortune in compensation to other party. Wiped out much of his savings. Lucky the injured party wasn’t badly injured.
Same relative had crashed multiple times before.

I did some Googling and found that, yes, about 400 wailao were deported and barred from re-entering Taiwan for drunk driving. This article gives the case of a Vietnamese worker who’d been here for 10 years and got pulled over for riding an electric bike drunk. Their sentence would have been 2 months, but their work permit was nonetheless cancelled and still got deported. Luckily, the article adds, the employer could just apply for another wailao.

I think they brought it to a court, and won to cancel the revocation of work permit by WDA. This might be a different case, but very similar situation.

Article 73 of Employment service act

Where any of the following circumstances has arisen or existed with respect to a foreign worker, the employment permit therefore shall be annulled:
6.Other than the above, the employed foreign worker has been in serious violation of applicable laws and regulations in the Republic of China; or

I had a DUI in April this year, (after a couple whisky cups at night, next day I still had 0.25 alcohol level), I was supposed to get my APRC last month but they rejected me for this reason. I can only get it until my case is clear (one year after the DUI unfortunate event). Hard way to learn but even you have a slight hangover, don’t drive.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

However, you should change the title of your thread. The current title suggests that someone who has an APRC could lose it due to a DUI. This is not an accurate portrayal.

You got a DUI in April of 2020. You applied for the APRC and were scheduled to receive it in September 2020, but your application for the APRC was denied because of your DUI. So, if I read this correctly, you never had an APRC, but were in the process of applying for it.

“APRC Application denied to due DUI right before application” might be a better title and more representative of what actually happened.

So, what’s next? Are you on a working visa or a JFRV? When is the soonest you can re-apply and hopefully pass the application process.

Best wishes.

4 Likes

That was the case of the original post.
@metaljhongli have a different problem. Maybe it should be split on a new thread?

2 Likes

Thanks for your best wishes. I have an ARC and I am renewing it every year, however my working permit and contract expires on December 31st. I am not sure if where I work will extend my contract (which automatically extends my working permit for another year), but thats my only hope for now. I can apply for APRC when my case is cleared by the court of New Taipei (end of April). I don’t know how to change the theread title. Create a new one? My purpose is solely to advise the readers here to really be carefull if you want to drink and drive (even the day after you can fail the breathalizer) because it can jeopardize your ARC/APRC application (even the case is not serious) and all the other consequences most people already know.

4 Likes

I know people probably had one too many drinks and then decided to drive home. In the US this may be understandable because public transportation doesn’t exist, but in Taiwan you have a million options to get home besides driving. Maybe if you were asleep at the wheel with the key in the ignition but poses no danger it’s one thing, but to me DUI is like putting on a blindfold and then firing a AK47 in random directions. If you didn’t kill anyone it was luck.

If you want to have a night out and is driving there, then bring a non drinking friend with you and have him drive you.

Do you get someone to drive you next morning?

Thanks for being so candid and sharing your unfortunate experience as a cautionary tale for everyone!

Warmest regards and wishes for your future APRC application. Stick to it!

As for changing the thread title, that’s my bad. I didn’t realize you weren’t the original post creator. Therefore, there’s nothing for you to do. All good. Thanks to @RickRoll for setting me straight.

1 Like