Losing hair

Long story short: I’m losing hair on my head. It doesn’t look like “alopecia areata”, and I was wondering if apart from age, there could be some other factor, inherently Taiwanese, that could be causing it. For example water with too much chlorine, or diet too rich in this or too poor on that… etc.

I wasn’t meant to be bald!!!

I hear stress does it. :tired_face:

unless you’re starving yourself, have something like hypothyroidism, stress and anxiety disorders, or you keep pulling on your hair and checking if it’s falling out, it’s pretty much all genetic and how sensitive you are to DHT.

You can take a DHT blocker like Finasteride, can come in topical cream, shampoo or pill form.

I was actually losing some hair, idk why. It grew back really well after they shaved my head in the military. My hair grew back really thick and nice after that. But i can’t guarantee yours will if you go this route.

Trump one thumb up

Yeah, but I’m not especially stressed now. I think.

I’ve been thinking for a while that the motorcycle helmet can’t be good. And that may be some bacteria or mold or something could be growing in the inner padding and that could be bad for my hair. I also thought of the water when taking a shower (and somebody else pointed in this direction). I’m far from starving myself (but I’m always hungry!) but the hypothyroidism thing made me think o something that I have read recently. Supposedly people from Europe and other regions can’t digest / process seaweed as well as Asians, and that it’s kinda dangerous for us, being possible to damage liver AND produce hypothyroidism O_o

I have trimmed out my hair very short twice since Summer, the second time in an attempt of getting stronger hair…

Within the last six months?

I think not. I think. When I moved here, and a couple of years later, I was very stressed. I’ve been pissed off many times in these last months I guess, but nothing really serious.

Taiwan pisses me off. This forum too… :angry:

1 Like

Then try taking the metro, in case it’s the helmet. It’ll be good for the environment too. :slight_smile: :rainbow:

Some people start losing hair in their 20s. Most guys go bald eventually.

I’m trying to avoid riding motorcycle, but for other reasons (ear problems…).

I always wonder why so many of my female Taiwan friends have occasional random bald spots. (don’t have as many male Taiwan friends so can’t comment)

probably stress… and…

I was going to say “lack of sex” (a stupid joke). Another thing I was thinking… is it possible that I have a spike of testosterone and that makes me lose hair? supposedly a high level of testosterone is associated to baldness…

I know a couple of guys who went completely bald in their 20s. You could go for hair implants but they don’t come cheap.

I have not lost hair in my 4 years in TW but man oh man did I get a lot of grey ones

unless youre taking testosterone or other androgenic DHT based compounds, it’s highly unlikely you have hyperandrogenism as a guy. Men naturally have drops in testosterone. And it’s not testosterone that causes boldness, it’s a derivative of it, DHT.

But you can take DHT blockers. But to be honest, it just might be your time to start losing hair. You can take DHT blockers or rogain to help and slow down the process. But it’s genetic and natural for people to start losing hair. How much and when depends on your genetics.

Are you messing with your hair a lot? I think I was doing this and it caused me to lose hair. Having black hair and fair skin, you can see more of my scalp due to the contrast. I’m pretty scared of balding so I constantly checked by pulling and feeling my hair to see if hair is falling out. I don’t recommend this, it made it worse during this time period I thought I was losing hair. It got better in the army when they buzzed it as much as possible. I could no longer pull and mess with my hair.

Any dry scalp issues? I suffer from dry scalp. Often caused my the weather and AC in Taiwan. And I need some special shampoo to help me with it and I often put oil and dry scalp treatment in my scalp. So the environment in Taiwan can certainly cause this. It may make your scalp unhealthy and make you scratch a lot because it’s dry. Try buying products to keep your follicles healthy. Some hair treatments actually do the opposite and clog up your follicles.

Also are you using hot water to wash your hair? Use cold or at least not hot water. It’s better for you scalp. How often do you wash your hair and with what shampoo. Too much washing is bad, too little is also bad.

Check your diet; protein is good for hair. Vegetarians sometimes have your problem.

Definitely see if you have a proper diet.
Any lack of nutrients, protein, minerals, calories can cause it. Especially if you see an obvious symptom like rapid weight loss, even if it’s meant to be healthy and you’re trying to get in shape. Hair is not really vital to your survival, so if you’re losing a lot of weight. Your body might stop hair growth and focus on more vital parts of your body for survival. Your body doesn’t know you’re on a weight loss diet. It just thinks you’re dying if you are losing a lot of weight.

Stress, anger, losing hair,

Any tremor, shaking? Fast heart rate or pounding heart.

Hyperthyroidism!

See my experiment about water here

Another suggestion is to stop washing your with shampoo
Try baking soda every other day

Also baldness is related to stress… calm down… settle down…
set up your goals and vision.

Thanks. I’m not sure if I’m ready for the baking soda thing, but I’d like to know what would the benefit be, or in other words, why it is better than shampoo. Does it neutralize the chlorine or something?