Lost files

Download the iso file: ftp://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Linux/SuSE/i386/live-cd-9.1/LiveCD-9.1-01.iso
It’s a 700MB file, but it’s on an FTP server in Taiwan, so it should be ready in a couple of hours.
You can use Nero to burn the file - make sure you choose the ‘burn CD image’ option (or something like that - I’m not sure what it’s called exactly since I don’t run Windows). It’s not a ‘normal’ file, so you shouldn’t use the ‘data CD’ option.
If the system doesn’t boot from CD by default, make sure it does (look in the BIOS for something like ‘boot order’).
However, before going further, you should give us some details:

• how many partitions (and what type) are on the internal hard drive;
  • how many partitions (and what type) are (were :slight_smile: ) on the USB drive;
  • where do you want to copy the files (just in case a miracle happens and you’ll actually find anything on the USB drive :wink: )

just my 2 cents worth.

I reckon you are walking on thin ice regarding the rest of your PC’s data if you start mucking around with Partitioning software that you are not familiar with, using step by step instructions from here.

This is no way discrediting Andre or the other experts here, but Sweetie you need to be careful doing that shit otherwise, your original HDD issue will rapid expand to major PC problems.

[quote=“truant”]

I reckon you are walking on thin ice regarding the rest of your PC’s data if you start mucking around with Partitioning software that you are not familiar with, using step by step instructions from here.

This is no way discrediting Andre or the other experts here, but Sweetie you need to be careful doing that shit otherwise, your original HDD issue will rapid expand to major PC problems.[/quote]

Well um, there is actually a manaul in how to work with Knoppix, so maybe it’s a better idea to go with that I’d think.
And as for the SuSE, I am not sure…
My internal HDD has 2 partitions, USB only 1 (FAT32).

[quote=“Sweetie”][quote=“truant”]

This is no way discrediting Andre or the other experts here, but Sweetie you need to be careful doing that shit otherwise, your original HDD issue will rapid expand to major PC problems.[/quote]

Well um, there is actually a manaul in how to work with Knoppix, so maybe it’s a better idea to go with that I’d think.
And as for the SuSE, I am not sure…
My internal HDD has 2 partitions, USB only 1 (FAT32).[/quote]
OK, as long as you are aware of the risks to your data.

[quote=“truant”]
OK, as long as you are aware of the risks to your data.[/quote]

I have yet to read the manual yet, so I am not sure… but I think I will not try it unless I fully understand what I am doing. Afterall, I serioulsy wouldn’t want to loose all my data. Thanks for the advise though. :wink:

I don’t think it’s a good idea for beginner who never use other OSs to use Knoppix or SuSE to recovery your important data. But if you have known that, they are nice, powerful tools.

In fact, I think you should have a hand to handle or check your error HD. If you consist do it by yourself, somebody experienced staying beside you will be better.

Backup is more important than create.

[quote=“tiebob”]I don’t think it’s a good idea for beginner who never use other OSs to use Knoppix or SuSE to recovery your important data. But if you have known that, they are nice, powerful tools.
In fact, I think you should have a hand to handle or check your error HD. If you consist do it by yourself, somebody experienced staying beside you will be better.[/quote]

Actually I was thinking about using the office computer to get familiarized with this program before I bring it home and use it on my own computer… Our company have computer technicians to fix it if anything goes wrong… :smiley:

[quote=“truant”]I reckon you are walking on thin ice regarding the rest of your PC’s data if you start mucking around with Partitioning software that you are not familiar with, using step by step instructions from here.

I understand your concerns, but I was going to be pretty cautious about that. I wanted to instruct Sweetie how to mount the USB drive read-only, and check if there is any data on it.
After that, everything is pretty straightforward - mount one of the internal partitions (in write mode), create a backup directory and copy everything there. If the partition is FAT32 and has enough space, it should be absolutely safe.
There is no “partitioning software” involved.

[quote=“Sweetie”]Well um, there is actually a manaul in how to work with Knoppix, so maybe it’s a better idea to go with that I’d think.
And as for the SuSE, I am not sure… [/quote]
There’s not much difference anyway, any Linux live-cd would do.
After all, you only need to do some basic operations - mount some partitions and copy some files (if there are any files to copy :slight_smile: ).
Of course, it’s a good idea to get yourself familiarized with Knoppix and screw …err test on another computer first. Just be careful with NTFS partitions - Linux doesn’t really like those :p.

[quote=“Sweetie”][quote=“tiebob”]I don’t think it’s a good idea for beginner who never use other OSs to use Knoppix or SuSE to recovery your important data. But if you have known that, they are nice, powerful tools.
In fact, I think you should have a hand to handle or check your error HD. If you consist do it by yourself, somebody experienced staying beside you will be better.[/quote]

Actually I was thinking about using the office computer to get familiarized with this program before I bring it home and use it on my own computer… Our company have computer technicians to fix it if anything goes wrong… :smiley:[/quote]

now you’re talking sense woman :smiley:

Thanks, so can you give me the step by step instruction now? :smiley:
By the way, my internal HDD is NTFS, but external HDD is FAT32.

So, do you have a Knoppix CD? If not, you can download the ISO file from here (it’s on a server in Taiwan), and burn it with Nero -> CD image.
I’m at work right now (and kinda busy :unamused: ), and I don’t have any Knoppix CD at hand, so you’ll have to wait until I get home if you want detailed instructions.
Or, if anybody else wants to take the job… :smiley:

[quote=“Andre”]So, do you have a Knoppix CD? If not, you can download the ISO file from here (it’s on a server in Taiwan), and burn it with Nero → CD image.
I’m at work right now (and kinda busy :unamused: ), and I don’t have any Knoppix CD at hand, so you’ll have to wait until I get home if you want detailed instructions.
Or, if anybody else wants to take the job… :smiley:[/quote]

I don’t have a CD yet, I downloaded at home last night and will burn it into a CD tonight. So I can wait and it would be really nice if you give me detailed instructions! Thank :notworthy:

I booted using KNOPPIX but it still doesn’t seem to be detecting USB drives… what do i do???

Can someone help PLEASE!

Knoppix can be picky about USB devices. There may be a way to get it to recognize it, but to be honest it could be a lot of hassle. I had the same problem trying to get my USB wireless internet thingy to work. This is one of those places where Linux (which Knoppix is a kind of) can be a total pain in the ass. If I think of anything tomorrow, I’ll let you know.

[quote=“Sweetie”]I booted using KNOPPIX but it still doesn’t seem to be detecting USB drives… what do I do???

Can someone help PLEASE![/quote]

1. Boot with the Knoppix CD
  2. Plug the USB drive
  3. Open a terminal (click on the black display icon, it should be the 6th from the left at the bottom of the screen)
  4. In the terminal, type these commands (without the comments, of course :slight_smile: ):

[code]
su # this will switch to “administrator” mode

mkdir usb # create a “usb” directory

mount -r /dev/sda1 usb # mount the usb drive (should be /dev/sda1) in the “usb” directory
# if you get any error, stop here and post the error
# if it doesn’t say anything, it’s OK

cd usb # go to the “usb” directory

ls # if you’re really lucky, you’ll see a list of your lost files/directories
# if not… well, at least I tried :)[/code]

[quote=“Andre”]1. Boot with the Knoppix CD
2. Plug the USB drive
3. Open a terminal (click on the black display icon, it should be the 6th from the left at the bottom of the screen)
4. In the terminal, type these commands (without the comments, of course :slight_smile: ):

[code]
su # this will switch to “administrator” mode

mkdir usb # create a “usb” directory

mount -r /dev/sda1 usb # mount the usb drive (should be /dev/sda1) in the “usb” directory
# if you get any error, stop here and post the error
# if it doesn’t say anything, it’s OK

cd usb # go to the “usb” directory

ls # if you’re really lucky, you’ll see a list of your lost files/directories
# if not… well, at least I tried :)[/code][/quote]
I was fine at the su but then when I got to the 2nd step, it showed

Cannot create directory ‘usb’: File exists

What do I do next?

[quote]

What do I do next?[/quote]

if the ‘usb’ directory has exist, skip it to Step 3.

[quote=“tiebob”][quote]

What do I do next?[/quote]

if the ‘usb’ directory has exist, skip it to Step 3.[/quote]

After I typed in Step 3, it came out with:

mount r-/dev/sda1 usb is not a valid block device.

What should I do now?

[quote=“Sweetie”]I was fine at the su but then when I got to the 2nd step, it showed

Cannot create directory ‘usb’: File exists[/quote]
Strange, it shouldn’t be there.
Just to make sure, do you have Knoppix 3.7, or it’s another version?

Did you type the command correctly?
It’s “mount -r /dev/sda1 usb” - that is “mount(space)[b]-r/b/dev/sda1(space)usb”

[quote=“Andre”]Did you type the command correctly?
It’s “mount -r /dev/sda1 usb” - that is “mount(space)[b]-r/b/dev/sda1(space)usb”[/quote]

Yup Yup. That’s what I typed. And also I got Knoppix 3.7.
So what should I do now? :s