Lost in Taichung - need assistance

well, you sound like a nice guy - so have fun while you are here!! I totally agree with that “any old smuck from North america” thing. It would be nice if quality was held over quantity, but it often seems the other way. Having said that it does depend on the school (s) concerned; some are way better at recruiting than others. My old employer from Taiwan (who will remain nameless) shipped anyone in with a degree from North America; maybe 1 out of 5 would freak out. The other 2 would get by, leaving 2 that could actually teach. I am sure you know what i mean.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a nice weekend :laughing:

[quote=“useL”] I don’t have the drive to go to a place on my own and just walk up to the first guy that looks white and start a conversation.

So, where do I go if I’m bad at solo acts?[/quote]

Why are you looking for somebody white? There are millions of yellow people in Taiwan and some of them are actually very nice.

Find yourself a language exchange!

There are several third country non-native English speakers with masters qualifications in TESOL at my uni, and probably at others too. They get a much better package than Taiwanese teachers in the same position.

It’s very unfair, but that is the position.

I’m not particularly looking for foreigners but more people I can actually communicate with. Every time I try to speak with a taiwanese dude they just run off and say they cant speak English. I’ll keep trying but at some point you get tired of just hearing the “Hello!” yells and nothing more.

i can remember once asking people for directions and they would reply in perfect English “sorry, i cant speak English”. I was in XimenDing and all these people clearly could speak English. A lot of Taiwanese are simply afraid to speak English.

where are you in Taichung? Can’t your friend give you some directions to a few places? Fingas on Chung Ming Nan Lu is good for food, magazines (complete with maps) and lots of adverts for nightspots/touristy/foreigner places. Foreigners also congregate at the many Starbucks, 89k (very close to Fingas on Chung Ming Lu) and several other drinking holes round the city.

Have fun!

This may be too late but I suggest you wave down a taxi and ask to go to Sogo by simply getting in and saying Sogo. Most taxi drivers will understand that although you may have to say it more than once. Most times you will see forigners in this area. Then walk along Taichung Kang (which is the big street) past the Starbucks connected to Sogo to Hwa Mei Street (the romanised name is on the sign post) and go to Frog II and pick up a Compass Magazine for the map.

A lot of the bars and restaurants are in this area. The Science Museum is not far from Sogo. In fact you just walk along to the end of the street that is directly in front of Sogo to get there. If walking simply use the underpass rather than crossing the busy street.