Lost international drivers license

I am back in the USA for two months. I rented a car in the NW USA. However I forgot to take the license out of the car. Anyone who has an international license knows how difficult they are to carry. Can’t put in wallet, very inconvenient to put into a pocket. So I put into console between two front seats. Well I forgot to check it and it is lost. I did report it to the rental company but it does not seem it is going to be returned. I am now in NE USA in Massachusetts. We will be driving to Florida. I explained the situation to the rental car company here and he said as long as my wife who has her international license and Taiwan license is with me in the car it will not be a problem. I still have my Taiwan license. I contacted website for international drivers license and they said they do not know have an email address listed for me they cannot help. We have discussed trying to get a Massachusetts drivers license but I would have to provide proof of residence as well as surrender my Taiwan license. If I can get a Mass license how much of a problem to get another license when I return to Taiwan? Anybody have any similar experiences or suggestions? It seems like I should just endure it and drive the car on my wife’s license. I can always apply for international when return to Taiwan

Are you an American and/or do one of you have a drivers license from a state in the U.S.?
If so, just go to nearest AAA (American Automobile Association). They sell int’l drivers licenses, which last up to 1 year. Maybe they sell also to foreigners (non-Americans), I’m not sure.

Did you take a picture of your international driver’s license? That might help if you get pulled over driving a rental car under your wife’s name.

But then you have to consider if you’re insured on a car rented under your wife’s name. Some rental companies will let legal immediate family members drive a car and you don’t have to actually list them as an alternate driver. But still insurance considerations.

In Taiwan to get a replacement license, you just go get one and pay the fee. Sometimes they would ask you to put an ad in the local newspaper or something to say it was lost to see if someone turns it in I don’t know if they do that anymore.

I guess on either side, if you need a replacement license and you’re already authorized then and go tell them you need a replacement license. Which should not require turning in a license from another country unless it’s the first time.

I am an American citizen that has lived in Taiwan for 30 years. I have Taiwan drivers license and had international license. My Massachusetts drivers license expired years ago and according the state law at the time you could not renew by mail except for those in military. I will try to go to AAA this week. Not sure if they will give international license to American citizens who do not have USA license, only Taiwan license

I did not take photo of the license. I do keep photocopies of passport and ARC but not license. I will do that for sure in the future. The man at the car rental place said if I drive with my wife in the car I will have no problem. I cannot drive without her.

In Massachusetts you must surrender your license from Taiwan to get one here. I am not sure if I am considered having lawful residence here which is a requirement. I am part owner with my siblings of a house until next month. But not sure if that is acceptable. Thing is they are allowing non-documented people getting a license in Massachusetts now so not sure if I can get one if that is the case.

I think I will try the suggestion above to go to AAA and apply for one.

Remember the International Driving Permit is not a license. You definitely could not drive on just the permit if you lost your license. You should check if it is possible to just drive on your Taiwan driver’s license in Massachusetts and any other state you will be driving in for the short period of time that you will be there. The permit is useful for translating the conditions of your license and to provide Western dates for the ROC dates. Is your name on your license in Chinese or in English? I’m not 100% sure but I think that if your driver’s license was from an English-speaking country, you would not need the corresponding permit to drive in the US.

I’m fairly sure you need to have a US state driver’s license to be issued an International Driving Permit in the US just as you would need to have a Taiwan license to be issued an International Driving Permit in Taiwan. AAA would probably not be able to verify the info on your Taiwan license.

1 Like

When I got my Taiwan license last week I had to surrender my Massachusetts one. I was told they mail it to AIT who then forward it to the Massachusetts RMV who then cancel your license and state residency status.

If you want to do the reverse (get a Massachusetts license with a Taiwan one) they will do the same thing.

If you want to have (and keep) both licenses, you will need to take the driving test in both places, and don’t tell them about your other license. Of course you will need to provide proof of residency in both places. I believe all you need in Massachusetts is a utility bill or bank statement with your Mass. address on it.

1 Like

Yes I am aware of the fact that it is International Driving Permit. When you rent a car you have to show both the Driving Permit and Taiwan license. Because the photo on the Taiwan license shows you they verify it is you

The name on Taiwan license uses my Chinese name.

I will still check AAA to see if I can get it from them. My photo is on it but of course all the other information is in Chinese even the fact that it is a drivers license. So it seems like they might not be able to help but worth a try

AAA only issues the US version of the International Driving Permit, and you will need to show them a US drivers license. Since you only have a Taiwan license, you will need to obtain the Taiwan version of the International Driving Permit from Taiwan. Since you’ve already left Taiwan, your only hope is that they let you apply online.

Depending on how long you plan to stay in the US, I think your best bet is to establish Massachusetts residency, then apply for a Massachusetts license as a new driver. All you need is to go online to your US bank’s website and change your mailing address to your sibling’s address in Massachusetts, then wait for your next bank statement to arrive (or print it out online) which will reflect your new address. Take that to the RMV and get a license as a new driver (of course, you will need to take the driving test again).

This may seem like a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the long run if you visit the US often.

1 Like

Cannot apply online from International Driving Permit website due to the fact for some reason they do not have my email address on file. When I applied in Taiwan for it I do not think they asked for an email address. I did a live chat with the office and they cannot find either one of my email addresses on file.

I have USA bank accounts with my sister’s address. So is that sufficient? Then I would have to take a driving test.

I plan on staying in the USA until 11/9 and then back to Taiwan. Usually return to USA once every two or three years and stay for about two months

Here is some info:

The simplest way may be to get a translation of your Taiwan driver’s license.

Yes, that will be sufficient, as long as the bank account is in your name. Just go online and print out your latest statement, including the cover page which has the address on it, then tell the RMV you are a new driver and want to apply for a first-time license. The only annoying part is you will have to schedule a written test and road test, and then wait another 1-2 weeks for your new license to arrive in the mail.

If you’ve still got two more months in the US, it might be worth the effort, especially since you will return often. Of course, you still won’t be able to drive for a few weeks until your new license arrives.

Oh, and one more thing. Taiwan has a special agreement with Massachusetts that actually allows you to legally drive in Massachusetts with a Taiwan license WITHOUT an international driving permit, as long as you get the license professionally translated and notarized. This won’t work, however, if you need to drive out of state. You can check to see if the surrounding states have the same agreement with Taiwan.

So I need to find a certified Chinese translator in Massachusetts. Also since I will traveling to other states I need to find same for every state I travel to?

Yes, but it depends on whether those other states have the same agreement with Taiwan. And even if they do, they might have different requirements than Massachusetts.

It’s not ideal, but this will solve your immediate driving needs if you need to drive locally around town, while you wait for your new Massachusetts license to arrive in the mail.

If you call TECO in Boston, they might be able to tell you where to find a certified Chinese translator in the state.

Be aware there may be tax issues if you attain residency in the USA. May not be eligible for the exemption anymore.

1 Like

Maybe the safest option is to let your wife drive.

“Safest” of course depends on her driving skills. If anywhere near my wife’s, you probably have a higher chance surviving if you point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger.

1 Like