Lost my ARC what next?

On arrival at the airport I am pretty sure I left ARC along with some other cards in the taxi. Unfortunately, we picked up the taxi from the street rather than calling. Didn’t get back to the cab in time. I am assuming it’s long gone. Fortunately, I still have my passport.

Anyway, so trip is postponed for fear of not being able to re-enter but I want to be able to travel in full confidence again as quickly as possible.

Here’s what I am going to do tomorrow:

• Go to the police station and report the ARC lost.
  • Go to the immigration office with the report.
  • I have digitized scans of the ARC also, should I bring these?

Should I do anything else?

I noticed the cabs here have different bumper colors (black, silver, yellow, white). Long shot, but do these colors at all indicate a particular cab company? Otherwise, probably no hope of finding the cab.

Thanks!

[quote=“mabagal”]On arrival at the airport I am pretty sure I left ARC along with some other cards in the taxi. Unfortunately, we picked up the taxi from the street rather than calling. Didn’t get back to the cab in time. I am assuming it’s long gone. Fortunately, I still have my passport.

Anyway, so trip is postponed for fear of not being able to re-enter but I want to be able to travel in full confidence again as quickly as possible.

Here’s what I am going to do tomorrow:

• Go to the police station and report the ARC lost.
  • Go to the immigration office with the report.
  • I have digitized scans of the ARC also, should I bring these?

Should I do anything else?

I noticed the cabs here have different bumper colors (black, silver, yellow, white). Long shot, but do these colors at all indicate a particular cab company? Otherwise, probably no hope of finding the cab.

Thanks![/quote]

Your plan seems sound. Getting a new ARC if you lose yours is not usually a big deal, as far as I know. Bring the scans, yes. Ask about temporary travel documents if you still want to do your trip.

[quote=“mabagal”]
Thanks![/quote]

I’d say the bumper colors on the cabs wouldn’t help.
The car brand or whether the driver is with the white gloves or not might be of help.
For instance, the Taiwan Taxi (台灣大車隊) fleet usually has Toyota Altis; and the driver with white gloves usually comes from DaAi (大愛)Taxi and there is also some fresh lily flower in the front seat of Da Ai cab too.

Next time (I hope not), if you/ anyone lost something on the cab, maybe you could make a phone call to the Police Radio Station.
PRS also offers the lost and found announcement service for the passengers and some drivers would also send the stuff which is left on their cab over there.
prs.gov.tw/EN/index.aspx

And one more thing, when taking a cab,I usually would note down the cab’s no in my mind and then save it as a draft on my mobile when I get in:)

Good luck!

I’ve lost numerous cell phones, wallets, ID documents, etc. in cabs here. And I’ve ALWAYS got them back. I hope you get a call soon!

Your ARC had your address on it, so it certainly won’t be hard to get it back to you if the taxi driver is so inclined.
If you do still need to leave soon, they will most likely be able to stick a single re-entry permit in your passport so you can get back in. I got one when I had to travel while my ARC renewal was being processed.
Hopefully you’ll get it back though!
At least you didn’t lose while you were out of the country! Anybody know what happens then?

Go to the National Immigration Agency and apply for a new one. The applications have a check box for “lost or stolen”.

While there, get a temporary re-entry permit so you can go on your trip.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It was all very helpful!

sure enough, this is exactly what happened! well, he brought it to the police radio.

i went to the police station yesterday and they advised that i wait a day. so i rescheduled my flight for tonight and if it didn’t show up by noon today, i would run down to the immigration center and get a temporary re-entry permit. they were right.

gonna go down there - hopefully the driver left his info. i want to send him a gift or something.

Great to hear this! :bravo: