Lost: the Final Season

I also agree that the last episode was a big letdown. Most of the episode was just tropes I’ve seen in dozens of other movies. For example when the tree falls on Ben Linus and everyone has to help pull it off (Karate Kid 2 anyone). Or when the pilot et al get to the Hydra island and they have to convince Claire to board the plane. The love stories in the season finale made me want to puke, but I figured that’s okay, women watch Lost too, right. But in the end almost none of the mysteries were answered. If I had to do it all over again, I don’t think I would watch the whole thing over again. I think they just made it up as they went along. I think it was a great show up to season 4 and they really botched season 6.

Looking back, it seems like they could have completed the entire Lost storyline in about 4 seasons. There was a lot of extra fluff in there that had nothing to do with anything - Michael, Walt being special, the numbers, extra characters like Ana-Lucia, Mr Eko etc.

I just watched the ending. I think it was awesome. The very last scene takes you back to the very first scene of the first episode. Not everything is patched up. But what do you expect if you’re going to watch a show like this? I think the ending was ingenious. I’m moved. :thumbsup:

I agree. Many things left unanswered, but… :thumbsup:

I thought the ending was great: thematically and character-wise very well done. For me it’s the probably the most emotionally-satisfying series finale I’ve seen. (But not as cool as Newhart or The Sopranos.) Yes, there were numerous loose ends, but I don’t really want to know more about the island itself - I think it should be left mysterious. Trying to scientifically explain the island would be like trying to chemically explain what happened when everyone’s faces melted at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, or as the writers themselves suggested, it’d be like if George Lucas did something incredibly stupid, revisited the Star Wars trilogy, and tried to give a scientific and biological explanation of the Force using an absurd creation like “midichlorians.”

Mysterious force in the universe - leave it at that.

Loose ends that DO annoy me:

• What’s with Ben and Widmore being unable to harm each other, and then Ben killing Widmore? (I enjoyed one interview where the actor who plays Widmore says that he still doesn’t know if his character was good or evil.) For that matter, what was going on with Widmore and all those people that Ben had Said kill? What were they trying to do?

• Who killed all the others on the Ajira flight?

• What was going on with all the fertility issues in the first few seasons?

• What was the sickness? Did it exist? Because it sure seemed important in the early days.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]So the question is, is it like the finale of Six Feet Under where everyone all died, but at different times or that they all died at the same time or that they all died in the flash-sideways at different times…

Did they all died in the plane crash and were in purgatory on the island and could only leave when they redeemed themselves?[/quote]
No - the island itself was real. Everything that happened happened. The church scene was outside time; Boone’s death was a few years back, Sun & Jin & Said a couple of days back, Jack’s “now”, Kate & James presumably after they die of old age, Hurley and Ben possibly aeons later.

Key indications beyond Christian’s words: Kate saying “I’ve missed you” to Jack (because she’s lived a long life without Jack); and most importantly, Hurley telling Ben he was a great #2, and Ben replying that Hurley was a great #1. Those two are looking back at their past lives on the island as the new Jacob and Richard.

Juliet’s “It worked” line was NOT about the bomb, but was rather about her own “Sideways-Waiting-Room-Purgatory” scene, where she meets James and helps him get the Apollo Bar. The whole Sideways world happens to everyone in the moment they die - so everything we saw from Jack’s perspective happened right after that final shot of the eye closing.

My goodness that sounds ridiculous to anyone who doesn’t watch the show (and to many of those who do!)

Anyone notice that the only black guys Mike and Eko were either of questionable morality or outright bad, and they were both off the show at least a year or two before the end? I understand they had to make Walt disappear, kid got older in 6 years, but they had no part in The End. Oh and the South American (Ana Luica)? Bad. Only good hispanics were Richard Alpert (“white” hispanic from the Azores or somewhere) and Hugo, who doesn’t look very hispanic and was only “hispanic” when back home with frickin Cheech.

Apparently the actor who played Walt was involved in some scenes filmed for, but not used in, the finale - they’ll likely be on the DVDs in a few months (although I suspect all the good stuff will be on friggin’ Blu-Ray or “complete series” box sets, just to rip off those of us who have bought the season sets).

I was surprised when Richard turned out to be Hispanic, or Spanish, or whatever Azores people are called. I had no idea; were we supposed to guess that beforehand? Is the actor actually Hispanic? “Nestor Carbonell” doesn’t sound Hispanic, but then again, I don’t think I realized everyone on Seinfeld was Jewish until long after the show had finished.

Eko they killed off because the actor wanted to leave - which is too bad, because he was a fantastic character. Apparently they had great plans for him that they had to bail on; I suspect his part in the story was taken by a mix of Ben, Locke, and Desmond. It’s one of the things I hope the writers will be more open about now.

The Koreans and the Muslim [almost] made it to the end!

The actor who played Michael did complain about how the writers treated African-Americans. On the other hand, his tragic flaw was that he was a TOO concerned father, so that played with stereotypes a little bit.

I know far too much about this show.

Ana Lucia appeared briefly in episode 16, as the cop letting Desmond, Kate and Sahid out of the paddy wagon for money.

Yeah - as a corrupt cop! That don’t count, where’s her character arc - so OK they don’t all have to end good guys, but shit even Ben ended decent and he killed hundreds+

Nestor is definitely a hispanic name, and he looked white hispanic to me as well, but maybe not everyone - plus they were calling him Ricardo Albertus or something along the way in certain episodes - he’s as spanish as a chimichanga (ok so that’s mexican or something but you get the picture)

I think Kramer’s might not be Jewish (“Michael Richards”? maybe…) but the other three, plus Larry David, jesus, there’s enough Jews there for a de facto synagogue, you might be the only one who didn’t realize. There was even a semi-derogatory term used by white bigots - “New York humor” - meaning Jewish humor a la Seinfeld (the phrase itself isn’t racist but the tone in which i heard people mention it was). Jerry Stiller as George’s “Italian” father? HA!

I’m sure they coulda found a way to keep him or Michael or Walt in. They couldn’t keep 1? sheesh man. I mean cheech, man. Now if Cheech himself had been on the island… well it’d be a different show, I’m sure the island woulda had its own cannibis farm or somethin

Koreans are part of the “safe” races on TV (white, jewish, flamboyantly gay, white asians, western europeans), so they don’t get credit for them. I’d argue that Indians (even those playing Iraqis) are the new “safe” race to throw a character in for, like Lebanese (Tony Shalhoub) - and Naveen Andrews was a hot item since The English Patient.

I don’t know, feels kinda weak. Never liked Ana Lucia anyway, rather the actress, I read she was a total prick in Hawaii (I work on Lost, respect me bitches), plus the drunk driving charge etc.

I think Kramer’s might not be Jewish (“Michael Richards”? maybe…) but the other three, plus Larry David, jesus, there’s enough Jews there for a de facto synagogue, you might be the only one who didn’t realize. There was even a semi-derogatory term used by white bigots - “New York humor” - meaning Jewish humor a la Seinfeld (the phrase itself isn’t racist but the tone in which i heard people mention it was). Jerry Stiller as George’s “Italian” father? HA!

…Naveen Andrews was a hot item since The English Patient.[/quote]
Wow. I saw The English Patient numerous times, and clearly remember the Sikh sapper - but had no idea it was Naveen Andrews until now.

On New York Jewish humour: I don’t know why I’m so ignorant on this one, although to be honest it’s kind of neat to be utterly, er, colour-blind (not the right word, I know, but I can’t think of a better one). Again and again in the political blogosphere, I’ll read about X criticizing Y, then A B and C all say that X is anti-Semitic - and meanwhile I’m thinking “Should I have known that Y is Jewish?!”

Same thing with The Sopranos. I need to see the funny hats and long sideburns before I get it. For a while I thought Hesh’s Shylock trade related purely to moneylending and not to ethnic identification.

Maybe it’s because I’m from Canada? I can pick up a little on class differences in British accents, but I’m utterly clueless about what names signify in the United States.

I watched a few interview clips from the Jimmy Kimmel after show on youtube. Pretty good. Here’s a list of links.
youtube.com/results?search_t … lost&uni=1