Loud scooters

When people buy scooters in Taiwan do they ask “would you like to make it louder?”?

I ask this because it seems almost every third scooter in Taiwan is so loud you could hear it across town, and especially at night it makes it impossible to get a good sleep, even if located in a small alley where the noise is supposed to be less, and I feel sorry for those who lives on a main street.

Why isn’t the police/MOTC/whatever doing anything about it?

4 Likes

The same reason they don’t do anything about illegal parking, running red lights, cars stopped in motorcycle boxes, everyone running red lights, etc.

At least a loud motorcycle is a safety feature. If my bike didnt come from the factory with a loud exhaust, I would consider an upgrade

Sorry, but people don’t drive with enough awareness of other people on the road. At least if they can hear me, they’re less likely to hit me

1 Like

Spikes and rocket launchers can also be considered safety features using the same logic.

1 Like

I heard people say in China scooters aren’t loud and stuff… because they probably crack down on that.

some places there allow only electric scooters, I believe

Pretty much every city there is electric only.

3 Likes

It’s also not only the noise, but also the speed. They don’t seem to have a legal speed limit. At least not one that makes sense for a scooter.

1 Like

I’d get spikes mounted if I could, might keep other vehicles out of my space. Considering luxury cars are the worst offenders, spikes would actually be very helpful

But really the sound is a safety feature like the horn is, or a lighthouse, or a turning signal. Indicating presence without kinetic effect

Lots of things are different in China. Most cities don’t allow motorcycles at all, I think. Anyways, the Chinese crack down on lots of things, it doesn’t mean it is better for everyone

Ah, there we go

Electric scooters in China?

Here. I don’t understand why they’re not limited to 50.

The new law requiring licenses is maybe a good step. Not that it works for anybof the other vehicles :sweat_smile:

I mean scooters in general, not just the electric ones.

Oh, in that case, why stop there? Why not cars, trucks, buses, bicycles…

Bicycles are very limited, unless your name is Filippo Ganna. But you are right about the others, although a bit of topic.

Scooter riders are very fragile in case of accident. License is easier to obtain. And since it’s a eminently urban vehicle, I think they should have a speed limit of 50 at most.

True, the thread topic is loud scooters

Well, the faster a vehicle,bthe noisier it is.

That’s fine, the faster the flow of traffic, the more important it is to alert the people in their cars to my presence

My bike is very sensible for my needs, doesn’t use much gas and is easy to park and maneuver in this dense urban environment, but a disadvantage as you point out is we are more vulnerable

I think the roads have speed limits already, these should be sensible and be enforced for every driver including cars. Some people like myself don’t just ride in the city, so if I couldn’t have my small but highly practical motorcycle, I’d have a bigger one that goes even faster and the potential for a lot more noise. Be careful what you wish for

Actually, I’m thinking about upgrading anyways. I don’t like that I dont have the power to quickly get away from truck drivers who are on their phones and car drivers who seem drunk behind their blacked out windows. Previously I had faster, louder motorcycles, which are actually safer on the dangerous roads.

Me.

I also live in a place without double glazed windows so its an extra bitch. I have basically gotten used to the road noise though luckily enough.

2 mins down the road is a huge police station. Wankers bomb down the road at all hours. Motorbikes and sports cars. Some of them sound like they have airplane jets attached. Everyone of them passes the police station. Its beyond me why they do nothing. And it is truly pathetic.

2 Likes

They do to make it an illegal feature, they could actually be fined, and the scooter confiscated if they don’t change back to the original.

1 Like

Some of them are unreasonable, true. I’m glad mine is loud enough to alert a driver, but never loud enough to hurt someone’s ears

I don’t think the police think it is their job. The bikes are inspected when sold/transferred, that’s when such things are caught in the system. If course, just need to keep the old parts and swap before inspection :man_shrugging:

Lots of cars with modified exhausts, too. Also loud and annoying, but less of a safety feature

Taipei has a few decibel recording cameras that will get a picture if a scooter or car is too noisy and send them a fine and a demand to get it inspected. Not sure how many there are however

1 Like