Lousy Citizens

Some people think that because their parents were born in a certain place, or with a certain color of skin, they can avail themselves of all of the privileges of being a citizen of that country, without having to share in the responsibilities, like military service. Granted, military service in peacetime doesn’t always seem like the best way to spend two years, but it’s necessary, trust me.

Taxes are not always joyfully paid, especially when we see some of the pathetic excuses for citizens that manage to get themselves elected. Still, the country would fall apart without taxes.

We have too many corrupt police officers, but they and the laws they are supposed to be upholding and enforcing must still be respected or society becomes anarchic.

Now, you Johnny-come-latelys don’t have to serve in the military or fulfill alternate service options in Taiwan (The term R.O.C. is so passe, n’est-ce pas?) if you don’t want to, but then please do not expect the privileges of citizenship. We do not need selfish freeloaders like you. Go somewhere else - you are not welcome here.

Reading some of the discussions here on this board, I’m turning over in my grave.

Regarding the above posting which seems to imply that foreigners are in no way entitled to the privileges of ROC citizenship.

In order to enjoy the privileges of citizenship, it seems fair to say that one should accept the obligations of citizenship.

The ROC Constitution outlines three types of obligations for citizens: Paying Taxes, Doing Military Service according to the relevant legal stipulations, and Going to school. (The last item is regarded both as a privilege and an obligation.)

Leaving aside the situation of foreign males for the moment, it seems clear that any foreign female in Taiwan who is educated and is paying taxes should be fully entitled to the privileges of ROC citizenship, since she is clearly fulfulling all the obligations of citizenship. (Or am I missing something?)

The same argument could be made for foreign males over the age of 40.

Hence, I fail to see what point the above author “Chiang Kai-Shek” is trying to make. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Likely answer to Hartzell’s question: CKS is an Oriented Moderator “trolling” for a response.

Hey, Chiang Kai-shek!
How come you built that second building at your airport? No one uses it.
And why do the guards at your memorial kick us out so early? What kind of deal is that?
“It’s midnight, stop memorializing me, damnit!”

Too many dumb laws in Taiwan… and dumb laws should not be followed. Too inflexible an approach to rules makes for a miserable 9and poorer place). Too many times in Taiwan do you hear stuff like: “That’s the law” or even “that’s just the way we do it.” Citizenship is not given to the people by the government. The people elect the government to protect their rights as citizens. Big difference.

Not an anarchist by nature, but in a country where too many laws are inflexible, bureaucratic, and downright nonesensical… I think it is every citizen’s duty NOT to follow them.

Quiz: Name one perfect country!?

Och, that’s easy-peasy. Scotland.