Lovely white skin

Oh my god, I’m so dark and unattractive. Everybody must hate me. I need to avoid the sun. I’m going to stay inside. I can’t walk anywhere, I’ll get tanned. What can I buy to make me whiter? I’m so weak and stupid going to the beach so much. It’s my own fault, I’ve made myself ugly. Look at that guy, he’s so dark he’s nearly black. He should be ashamed. Doesn’t he know how repulsive that is? Why doesn’t he do something about it? I hate black people, they’re so yucky.

You’re so lucky you’re so white. How do you do it? You shouldn’t do that, it’ll make you go brown.

:laughing: And supposedly they look dirty, too.

Ever count the number of skin whitener ads in magazines here? It’s maddening. That one ad on tv of the two sisters. One gorgeous one with a nice healthy looking tan who is ridiculed by the pale ghostlike twin wearing a twisted mask of hate. She tells her lovely sister that her boyfriend won’t love her with such awful dark skin. (There you go with the criticism, see? It’s on the ads!) So she goes and slaps that creme on and becomes a pale ghostlike resemblence of her bitter evil sister, who (I think) has designs on the boyfriend anyway.

I love the attempts to avoid a tan here. You know the types, I’ll just hold this matchbox over my face and . . . Or the my shoes are melting but I’ll just bundle my self up in cloth like a swaddled baby.

Then again if it’s anything like the way the guy’s hold a ciggie pack over their heads when darting through the rain to stop it eating their hair away . . . I used to laugh at them . . .

HG

If you don’t give a toss, why are you even keeping up with this thread? Find something else that interests you more and leave us be. And, if you don’t give a toss, why are you “flaming” about those of us who do give a toss?

Of course, the reason that you don’t give a toss is that the issue doesn’t affect you. Therefore, who are you to say whether or not it is a viable topic for discussion? Your attitude is like saying, “Stop complaining about being poor. Those of us who are rich get depressed when we hear you complain. So, make it easier on us rich folks and stop complaining. Just accept the fact that you are poor and the world will be a better place.” NOW… before you flame back, I’m not saying that you have this attitude about the poor. It is merely a hypothetical example to try to prove a point of view.

Just my tuppensworth!

As for skin whitening, if that is the wildly trivial topic of the moment. My two advertisements I love to hate are:

1. The balerina who is given the main role in the dance, only to be told (I’m assuming since my Chinese is limited) that her dancing is good, but her not so pale face is bad. They’d prefer she be the color of her white outfit, like her “support staff” in the background.

2. The ad where the woman meets the guy she used to know at the revolving door. He says (my partner told me this) that she hasn’t changed, not even the dark circles under her eyes. She, of course, is mortified and promptly goes to get them sparkling, pearly white (or is that her teeth? :stuck_out_tongue: ) Anyway, we cut to the future after she has been bleached to see the two of them happily enjoying each others “whitey-white” companion ship. What I like most about this one is that in the before, they are both wearing black to match her dark circles. But, in the afer, when she is sufficiently ghostly, they are both wearing white.

And… one pet peeve about this whitening craze, then I have to get to work… I hate the umbrellas that appear everywhere at the slightest hint of sun (or rain, for that matter). It is especially annoying that they can’t even walk 2 meters between buildings, exposing themselves for maybe 10 seconds, without putting up an umbrella.

Of course, to do so requires them to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, almost poking out the eyes of those around them and risking bonking people on the head as they try to either raise or lower their umbrella. :x

That was my pounds worth… hmmm… when did I become British?

[quote=“QuietMountain”]

And… one pet peeve about this whitening craze, then I have to get to work… I hate the umbrellas that appear everywhere at the slightest hint of sun [/quote]

What’s funny was in Amsterdam, they (Taiwanese or Japanese) had their umbrellas up inside the canal boats with the plexiglass roofs!!
I took photos it made me laugh so hard. Especially compared to the Europeans who try to get as brown as nuts.

yes that whitening thing…and there i was in taipei…sunbathing with my friends at every opportunity…oh wells

[quote=“fredericka bimmel”][quote=“QuietMountain”]
And… one pet peeve about this whitening craze, then I have to get to work… I hate the umbrellas that appear everywhere at the slightest hint of sun [/quote]

What’s funny was in Amsterdam, they (Taiwanese or Japanese) had their umbrellas up inside the canal boats with the plexiglass roofs!!
I took photos it made me laugh so hard. Especially compared to the Europeans who try to get as brown as nuts.[/quote]Which is very silly considering the plexiglass would block out a lot of the UV rays which causes suntans… :unamused:

What is very, very silly is it is not the visible light of the sun that tans you, burns you or gives you skin cancer. I’ve gotten burned on a cloudy day at the beach. So, why is it they only put up their “sunshields” when it is bright and sunny?

Boy, we’ve really gotten off topic. I LOVE IT! :smiley: The wonders of the human mind… and the screwy paths it will take. So maybe it should be the “wanders” of the human mind. Eh? :sunglasses:

I agree that vampire-like bleached white skin is not so beautiful, but still, there is so much prejudice and misunderstanding among foreingers about Asian’s spree in skin whitening that I can’t help standing up and speaking for my fellows. :laughing:

First, Asian women whiten their skin, and north American and European darken their skin. Those are just different aesthetic points of view. Likewise, you think Asian too thin, we think the westerners too fat; this is mainly based on different cultural (and maybe genetic) criteria.

Second, except looking healthier, what’s good about being suntanned? Ask any doctor, he/she will tell you tons of reasons why we have to protect ourselves from over-exposure to sun. First of all, in addition to aging, sunlight is the number one factor to wrinkle. When you expose yourself to sunlight, you not only get suntan, but don’t forget you also accelerate wrinkle formation in your face, and slacker and rougher skin in your body; the older you are, the higher your risk is.

And what about brown spots in your face? I don’t know about white people, but Asian women easily develop brown spots in their faces because of sun exposure. How many women prefer brown spots all over their faces to a smooth and clean face? And when you can prevent it from happening in advance by carrying an umbrella and wearing sunblock when walking under scorching sunshine, why not doing it?

Let alone skin cancer, which is much more common in the West than in the East. And what’s the reason for that?

If you have to choose between beautiful suntan with ugly wrinkle and brown spots, and ugly pale skin but smooth and clean skin, what’s your painful choice? So when you see a Taiwanese girl carrying an umbrella, especially at noon (10AM-2PM), when ultra-violet rays are supposed to be the strongest, it’s also likely that it’s not that she doesn’t like suntan, but that she just tries to limit and delay wrinkle/brown spot formation.

Come on, dear foreigners, don’t resist anymore. Let’s wear sun block and carry umbrellas all together!! :laughing:

It’s true that ultraviolet rays exist cloudy or shine. But when it shines, they are stronger; therefore, more thorough protection is needed.

[quote=“B.B.”]

Let alone skin cancer, which is much more common in the West than in the East. And what’s the reason for that? [/quote]

Melatonin. Blacks and Asians have much more than whites and it’s what colours the skin. Whites have higher incidences of skin cancer, but Taiwanese are tops in the liver cancer department. What’s the reason for that? Hepatitis, I understand.

Brown spots are called freckles in the west. I don’t find them unattractive, personally. My handsome Taiwanese ex bf has them and it makes him look even cuter, I think.

I think tendency for wrinkling is another hereditary condition. But so what? When you’re old and wear dumpy clothes and shuffle around squacking like a hen, you look far worse than if you have a few “life” lines on your face and a healthy glow.

My tuppence!

That’s a good point, BB. Taiwanese women tend to have smoother, softer skin that Western women - which may or may not be directly attributable towards Westerners roughing up their skin by excessive tanning in the sun. And also the fact that when you walk into Watson’s or any other beauty store there are four shelves of skin smoothener products… :unamused: Taiwanese women seem a tad bit overobsessed with good skin. Not that as a het guy I’m complaining, mind you - such smooth, soft, creamy skin to rub your hands all over is Taiwan feminity’s greatest assets… :smiley: …excuse me, I’m getting a little carried away with myself. Ahem.

Yes, skin is definitely an “asset” here. I remember how struck I was the first time I heard someone here say “Oh you have good skin!” :shock:

How often do Westerners give compliments on skin?

Aside from the fact that the whiteners probably don’t even work, and it would be more realistic to call them ‘snake oils’, they also just may contain deadly toxins
And the ones they sell at Watson’s are low end, likely use animal testing, and would be the ones that would increase risks the most.
I always stick with non animal tested skin creams, soaps, and hair products, and have for well over a decade.

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“B.B.”]

Let alone skin cancer, which is much more common in the West than in the East. And what’s the reason for that? [/quote]

Melatonin. Blacks and Asians have much more than whites and it’s what colours the skin.[/quote]
I believe you meant Melanin…

[quote=“Neo”][quote=“Alien”][quote=“B.B.”]

Melatonin. Blacks and Asians have much more than whites and it’s what colours the skin.[/quote]
I believe you meant Melanin…[/quote]

:blush:
Uh, you’re right! My bad.
Melanin is what gives pigment to hair and skin.
Melatonin is some sort of herbal ecstasy, yes?

Melatonin. Blacks and Asians have much more than whites and it’s what colours the skin. [/quote]

Melanin is only one of the reasons, but high exposure to ultra-violet rays is another important reason. Also, if you compare only Asians or only westerners, there are also differences for those highly exposed to sun and those less exposed to sun. I also heard that ultra-violet rays are stronger in regions at higher altitude, but I don’t know if that’s true. Anyway, if melanin is the main reason for skin cancer, then doen’t it mean westeners need more protection from sunshine than Asians?

No, brown spots are not freckles. Brown spots are bigger and darker. Of course one may say freckles, brown spots and wrinkle are also attractive, that’s not important. I agree, but hey, how can we judge those who don’t think so? Especially if they are just aware of the impact of over-exposure to sunshine and try to do something to limit the impact? Here I mean those who simply try to protect themselves from unnecessary exposure to sun rays by carrying umbrellas and wear sun lotions.

Wrinkling is definitely not just a hereditary condition. As I said, aging and ultra-violet rays are the top two factors. Of course when we are old, we are old, and we’d better accept that. But I’m not talking about plastic surgery, I’m talking about reducing wrinkling by just being a bit “ultra-violet ray conscious”. Always wear sun lotion when you are going to stay outside for a long time, such as in the beach, skiing, or sporting during sunny daytime.

As for whiteners, I prefer daily protection to whiteners. Besides, there’s no need to bleach our skin into unnaturally white. But for those who need them to lighten their recently formed brown spots or acne marks, there are many kinds of whiteners in the market with different ingredients and theory behind them. You just have to choose carefully and understand the impact of those active ingredients included.

I’ll stand up for you BB as I have grown to love the fair-complexioned Chinese woman. The ghost-white look of most ads is a bit too much since it is literally a deathly pallor but, ah, but that other soft, pure, unblemished whiteness. Ah.

BB is right that Asian women tend to get, no not freckles, but brown sun-damage marks if they spend too much time in the sun. These are not cute little freckles. They are signs of wear and tear and make you look old before your time.

Let’s face it, Asian women’s skin looks great into their thirties and sometimes 4o’s largely because they do not get much sun on it when they are young. Hell, wouldn’t you rather look great for a couple decades that blow it all in a few years at the beach as a teenager? Just look at Australian men and women. Most of them look like they are in their late thirties by the time they get to be 25. Sun damage is not good for you. There is no debate about this. Lighten up :laughing: on the Asian women.

And if you don’t, and if you continue to suntan, then you have no right to complain (as I know many of you participating like to do) about the lack of sense Asians show in other ways: like driving, child-safety, food preparation, and so on.

[quote=“Alien”]
:blush:
Uh, you’re right! My bad.
Melanin is what gives pigment to hair and skin.
Melatonin is some sort of herbal ecstasy, yes?[/quote]
Melatonin is one of those unregulated herbal supplements that has been advertised as a sleep aid for its help in regulating circadian rhythms. Tried the stuff years ago but it didn’t do anything for me.

I want to know where all the weak minded Taiwan culture loving foriegners are that usually pop up with their quick replies of, “if you don’t like it go home.” Isn’t this “their” culture? Who are we to be critical of what they think is beautiful or not? Should we actually be pressing our values of equality and respect on them? Wouldn’t that make us seem superior, therefor assholes? Because it is “their” country, shouldn’t we go along w/ the flow and hate black people as well?

Grumpy chop called for…

Well I used to work as a guide for the umbrella people back home. I told them that opening their umbrella when it wasn’t raining was considered bad luck. They suffered walhing around in the Scandinavian sun.