Lower the decibels of the garbage trucks

I think people here rather tolerate the musical garbage trucks than a set point where you leave your trash that stinks and full of rats and stuff.

Taiwan’s population density is too high to let people simply leave trash around.

3 Likes

They need to use an app that tracks the trucks and move away from the noise pollution, it’s an outdated solution and it is a real nuisance. Also some Taiwanese have sued city governments as it made ot difficult for them to work or relax at night.

Many Taiwanese dislike the noise and I know that some districts are plagued by intersecting routes.

1 Like

Good luck trying older population to use an app. Although in my experience many of the people who throw out the trash are not that old, or even Taiwanese…

1 Like

Most old folks have smartphones here already I feel. As bad as young people.

Street I live most of the ones taking trash to the truck are old, younger ones are at work, 5.40 - 6pm 2 stops I can use. mad system they use here!
Trucks are small enough to fit down side streets, like rest of the world leave your trash outside and bin men throw into the truck.
I should make a video of the 6pm stop, older one’s carrying trash each day only small amounts they can’t carry big loads.
Pedestrian lights change they have to move out from the way of selfish BIG motor car drivers.

1 Like

Check out YouTube - lots of videos there, though most wouldn’t work in Taiwan as they are dependent of the bins being of a particular shape/size (Sulo bins) and they need to be placed at the kerbside to facilitate collection.

1 Like

I see a lot of SEA women waiting for the garbage trucks. That’s what I was referring to when I said many were not Taiwanese.

1 Like

Also it’s VERY hard to avoid a bunch of people leaving the bins out just long enough for rats and odor to be a problem…

I think in the past they had dumpsters which had problems with smell and rats.

2 Likes

You might enjoy this essay by Schopenhauer (I certainly did!) in which he rages against noise makers (aka thought murders). Buy that man a drink already. As for the rubbish trucks… I personally find a lot of other sources of noise much more distressing — the bullhorn advertising/public announcement trucks, the wo ga li gongers who gong gong gong from one suburb to another, etc etc

5 Likes

It helps to live in a high floor of a new building, ir have an office at a university. Have carpets and tapestries on the walls and floor, turn on some light music…

2 Likes

OK I was referring to older population.
Yeah lots of SEA.

I know you wouldn’t see 70 plus “oldies” on London tube, line contacting with family including emojis.
I’m nosy I look over the shoulder, when I’m not sat in the blue seat.

They would need bins to empty
Can’t imagine people bringing down these huge American bins to the curbside when the garbage bell rings

Think you hate the sound imagine the garbage men ??

No doubt they are deaf already

Just fyi
Here in SF. Garbage collection is on thursdays on our street so Wednesday night we must put out the bins And if you forget you keep it for another week

Green for compostables blue for recyclables and grey or black for garbage

Cost you may ask ? It varies city to city
But IIRC. We pay 16 per month for each garbage bin and half that each for compostable and the recycle bins

Important to use the right bin as tickets could be issued

In Martinez where I was the complex had a garbage dumpster and one for recycles
We paid about 30 per month per apt unit They emptied them twice a week so they do smell

In Taiwan it’s Free

3 Likes

It isn’t free. You buy those special garbage bags which pays for waste collection.

3 Likes

Not everywhere, most of the island is free.

1 Like

Free if you’re Taiwanese, and able to mix up recycling plastics and general trash.
Foreigners, bag inspection for paid correct colour and no mixing.

1 Like

If anybody relied on the siren to alert them, they’d never get to the truck on time.

1 Like

And most recent data indicates that less than THREE percent of things on this here God’s Green Earth that are recyclable that are sent to the recycling are ever recycled. But in Taiwan, if its plastic, even tiny pieces of lamination film that you cut off, or a single oil-soaked piece of paper (will ruin the entire batch of clean paper when they try to work with it), the wrath you will incur for putting this very much actually trash into the trash bag

4 Likes

Partner suffers my wrath, putting small pieces of of film, plastic bag corners in the food waste!!!
I have to inspect all trash before I take it.

Tbh, I think everything is commingled when it gets on the truck these days. The food scraps don’t go to the pigs anymore (African swine flu?), and no one here has heard of composting, so I genuinely don’t know why anyone bothers. I mean, I do, food waste can go in the freezer until it’s disposed of, for example, but I’m pretty sure everything is going in the same hole in the ground once it leaves my hands…

4 Likes