LPGA new English requirement rules

So the English language requirement is not a form of subtle discrimination against the rise of South Korean players in the LPGA tour.

The lengths people goto in order to justify their worldview…so sad.

[quote=“goingstrong”]There’s an obvious difference between non-Chinese and Chinese children doing sports at a young age.

In China, a lot of young girls do it for their families and their training is extreme to a point where they cry in pain. It is normal for them so that’s understandable. Everyone else around the world though, do not try to push their young children at that age to train in such extremes. Western coaches and teachers do not push the children to perfection which is what makes China stand out differently. China trains a lot of its young girls too hard. I understand that the young Chinese gymnasts have a choice of quitting but I’m pretty sure many of them wouldn’t for the sake of their families.[/quote]

First, I don’t think there really is a difference between China and the west here. Elite gymnasts in other countries also start early and train for long hours. There’s really no getting around that if you want to excel in gymnastics. But let’s just say you’re right. Then essentially what you’re saying is Chinese gymnasts work harder, train harder, and have more dedication to their sport than their western counterpart. Gosh, no wonder why China wins more gold medals than anyone else.

But non-Chinese would of course view people more industrious than themselves as wrong and at fault. Especially when they excel or perhaps surpass them in these endeavors.

So sad…having worldviews like these.

At this point I can’t say whether it is or isn’t, and I may never be able to say, but it does look suspicious. I’ll be surprised if this matter doesn’t wind up in court.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
So the English language requirement is not a form of subtle discrimination against the rise of South Korean players in the LPGA tour.

The lengths people goto in order to justify their worldview…so sad.[/quote]
You’re trying to justify your own reasoning with those sentences. Trying to stick the stupid LPGA rule with Wie’s disqualifications aren’t working either.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]But non-Chinese would of course view people more industrious than themselves as wrong and at fault. Especially when they excel or perhaps surpass them in these endeavors.

So sad…having worldviews like these.[/quote]
Nope. The Chinese working hard is pretty good in their standards. Those who are aware of those conditions aren’t jealous. They just feel bad for all those under pressure.

[quote=“ABC”]
First, I don’t think there really is a difference between China and the west here. Elite gymnasts in other countries also start early and train for long hours. There’s really no getting around that if you want to excel in gymnastics. But let’s just say you’re right. Then essentially what you’re saying is Chinese gymnasts work harder, train harder, and have more dedication to their sport than their western counterpart. Gosh, no wonder why China wins more gold medals than anyone else.[/quote]
They do train harder and work harder, but then…use those under the age of 16 to gain those gold medals becuase it’s easier. I know you don’t think there isn’t really a difference, but to me, there is. That’s just how it is and that’s fine. Difference of opinions is better than the same opinion obviously.

Bottom line though. This isn’t about being number 1, or who’s better than who with x amount of training experience. It’s about following the rules (which then goes off into that other topic).

Presumably, too, in ac’s sad, prejudiced world, the non-mistake-making pro who would have been robbed of her position if Wei’s error had been “overlooked in the interests of racial harmony” would immediately be accused of racism if she’d protested over Wei’s mistake being disregarded.
Goddamn those goddamn white people, keeping the yellow (wo)man DOWN! :unamused:[/quote]
Come on, ac. No answer? That’s twice now. Is someone keeping you DOWN over there or something?

Well I guess in China, we make the Koreans learn Chinese as well… :slight_smile:

The Wie issue has another layer of complexity because she was so young as well. She was given a special exemption at the time.

But it still doesn’t deter me from my belief that there are certain racist factions within the LPGA governing body that are making it difficult for these precieved foriegners, whether Irish or Asian, from rising in the ranks of the LPGA.

Can’t have both the LPGA and PGA dominated by non-White faces.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Well I guess in China, we make the Koreans learn Chinese as well… :slight_smile:

The Wie issue has another layer of complexity because she was so young as well. She was given a special exemption at the time.

But it still doesn’t deter me from my belief that there are certain racist factions within the LPGA governing body that are making it difficult for these precieved foriegners, whether Irish or Asian, from rising in the ranks of the LPGA.

Can’t have both the LPGA and PGA dominated by non-White faces.[/quote]
And I’m quite quite sure some of them have nasty dangleberries. Like your belief, however, its not backed by anything as fundamental as evidence. You’re a racist, I’m a cleanbuttist.

As a cleanbuttist do you have any recommendation on whether to wipe front to back or back to front… :slight_smile:

It’s oooover:

[quote]Bowing to a torrent of criticism, the L.P.G.A. Tour dropped plans on Friday to suspend players who were not conversant in English by 2009. The tour said it would announce a revised policy, with no playing penalties, by the end of this year.

Friday’s reversal appeared to be a hurried admission that the L.P.G.A. had not thoroughly examined the ramifications of the policy, which many sensed was aimed at the sizable contingent of Asian players on the tour. Disapproval of the policy — believed to be the only one of its kind in a major sport — was swift when it was announced: from news media outlets, civil rights groups, some players and particularly California legislators, who were looking into whether the policy violated anti-discrimination laws.
[/quote]

nytimes.com/2008/09/06/sport … ga.html?hp

Soon the LPGA will pass a rule requiring players to be fluent in Korean and get names in Chinese characters…lol