LTE now in Taiwan?

I’m moving with my wife and daughter to Taiwan next month (permanently, or at least that’s the plan) :smiley: can’t wait! I was sad to read that LTE hadn’t made it to Taiwan, but suddenly as I look again, it appears it has. Is this true? I see on the Taiwan Mobile website they have 4G plans available. Did this just happen recently?

http://english.taiwanmobile.com/english/4G/lte.html#s4

I would say its been offered for about a year now.

Price points are much higher for 4g data vs. 3g

好好!

[quote=“dan2006”]I would say its been offered for about a year now.

Price points are much higher for 4g data vs. 3g[/quote]
Are there any 3G plans still available? My TaiwanStar 3G plan is up next month, but they have told me that they no longer offer it (NT$399 a month unlimited data) and the closest comparable plan is a 4G unlimited data for 599 a month. When I checked with Taiwan Mobile the best unlimited data they could offer me was 4G for NT 799 a month.

I was quite happy with 3G service since I think I only need it when I’m moving from one Wifi network to the next, and for the occasional lunch outside or on short trips.

Can’t help you, but I personally think, that providers don’t have that much interest anymore in offering
“unlimited” 3G contracts anymore.

Focus now is on 4G, and except TStar unlimited isn’t availabe under 1.000 NT$.
If you are so far happy with TStar, it would be probably worth to pay additional 200 NT$.
They offer 12 months contracts as well, and you may get a discounted phone-device, or
even for free.

If you don’t need that much data anyway, have you considered just a prepaid card ?
As far as I remember Taiwan Mobile offer such card for 300 NT$ with 1GB free (4G network)

Edit:
Taiwan Mobile offering again 3G unlimited data - apparently just with midrange-priced devices,
cost is 489 NT$ plus calling-package (at least 299 NT) = 788 NT all together minimum