Lu suggests Taiwan "reunite" with Japan

[quote]http://english.www.gov.tw/index.jsp?id=11&recid=109049&viewdate=0

Lu made the remarks when she was interviewed by the Yomiuri Shimbun, Japan’s largest circulation national newspaper, in Taipei.

She also expressed appreciation for the Japanese Diet’s recent passage of a bill to waive visa requirements for Taiwan visitors to Japan. [/quote]

Thank you Japan for letting the Taiwan sankokujin into Japan visa free once again.

And as a sign of appreciation please take Diaoyutai, even though CSB has laid claim to it already. But we already know who wears the pants in this relationship.

why don’t the old people in taiwan who were alive during the japan era have japanese citizenship rights? taiwan was part of japan. can citizenship rights be revoked without the consent of the citizens?

1 Like

[quote=“ac_dropout”][quote]http://English.www.gov.tw/index.jsp?id=11&recid=109049&viewdate=0

Lu made the remarks when she was interviewed by the Yomiuri Shimbun, Japan’s largest circulation national newspaper, in Taipei.

She also expressed appreciation for the Japanese Diet’s recent passage of a bill to waive visa requirements for Taiwan visitors to Japan. [/quote]

Thank you Japan for letting the Taiwan sankokujin into Japan visa free once again.

And as a sign of appreciation please take Diaoyutai, even though CSB has laid claim to it already. But we already know who wears the pants in this relationship.[/quote]

Your title says “Lu Suggests Taiwan Reunite with Japan”. She doesn’t say that. First you made a crack about 9/11 and all the people who died in the Windows of the World, now this. First, why did the admins unban you, second, no one will take your words with credibility.

1 Like

If Taiwan were to be reunited with China, the two countries would be as one, so the word “reunited” in a context of Taiwan is a loaded one that completely distorts the truth and isn’t really true. Lu does not want Taiwan to become part of Japan; however, she does feel that the two countries can be united in their efforts against China. When we say “reunited” we mean a return to a time when two parties were “united”. I don’t believe you can claim occupation of Taiwan is a time when Taiwan and Japan were united. When were Taiwan and Japan both united?

Australians don’t need visa’s to go to any of the other Australian states either.

YES

Australians don’t need visa’s to go to any of the other Australian states either.[/quote]

Taiwanese need visas to go to China.

One country… Bah!

When was Taiwan occupied by Japan??

Taiwan was ceded to Japan in the 1895 Treaty of Shimonoseki. The presence of Japanese officials and other personnel (including military personnel) in Taiwan after that date does not qualify as “military occupation.”

1 Like

I think the word

When was Taiwan occupied by Japan??[/quote]

Thanks for bringing my attention to this matter. After a brief stop over to Wikipedia, I concur that your point is valid. Taiwan was ceded to Japan in the 1895 Treaty of Shimonoseki and became a Japanese colony. The military occupied space in Taiwan, but that does not really count as “belligerant military occupation” of Taiwan as first clarified and supplemented by the Hague Convention. The Japanese military suppressed the short lived Taiwan Republic and ruled over Taiwan for 50 years. The presence of Japanese officials and other personnel (including military personnel) in Taiwan after that date does not qualify as “military occupation.”

The Treaty ushered in half century of Japanese rule, which only ended at the end of World War II. During this period, Taiwan was an integral part of the Japanese Empire. Thus, I conclude that Taiwan was “part” of Japan, which it will not become again, because of the actions of three nations, Japan, Germany and Italy, that became “unified” as the Axis powers in World War II.

For whatever it’s worth, that means Taiwan was also part of the Axis. Upon further research at Wikipedia, I stumbled across The Reformed Government of the Republic of Taiwan, issues wherein that may have lead me to mistakenly conclude that Japan, by militarily occupying the Republic of China, had done that with the island of Taiwan. Good thing that I got the picture improved. By the way, that link really needs some editing! It runs rampant with spelling and grammar inventions.

the taiwan republic was a farce, something cooked up to gain sympathy from western powers:"…Tang…then added that the new republic recognized the emperor of China as its chief notwithstanding the Declaration of Indepence…the rebel government then notified the European powers of its action and requested diplomatic recognition. Cheng Tong, the international law expert sent by Peking, was behind this move. He felt that such diplomatic recognition would make Japan afraid to attack the new republic. This done, the leaders of the new rpublic waited to see what Japan’s reaction would be." (page 76 TAIWAN: The Other China)

From Chapter 2, “The Japanese Occupation,” in “Taiwan: A Political History,” by Denny Roy:

“The first contingent of twelve thousand Japanese soldiers that landed at Keelung on May 29 established control over the city and its environs within three days.”

“The nerve of the defenders collapsed, and a small Japanese unit took the capital in one day.”

“The Japanese capture of Tainan in October 1895 marked the official end of organized Taiwanese resistance…”

Maybe this describes a legal military occupation if there is such a thing. But, the goal was to depose an already established government, along with its first and second presidents.

Was the Republic of Taiwan an illegal government? Was international recognition required for statehood back then?

Eh? So which one is right? Is it an occupation or not?

Thats right I remember the latter part and the Taiwan Republic…

One of the basic requirements of nationhood is a government capable of entering into relations with other states. The ability to defend itself is another. The Taiwan Republic accomplished neither of these things. At the end of the day, all they really had was a cool flag.

So where does that leave France?

So where does that leave France?[/quote]At least the first part they have down pat. They screw everyone they deal with.

Costa Rica isn’t a nation?

From a legal perspective, do you think if Taiwan reunited with Japan, the status of NWOHRs would become citizens with full rights immediately?

What do Taiwanese stand to lose from the reunification?

Their sovereignty as a nation? Seems like a pretty big one.

3 Likes