Lu suggests Taiwan "reunite" with Japan

Taipeiguy(s): allow me to introduce you to the Treaty of San Francisco.

Put otherwise, that ship has sailed.

Cheers,
Guy

Japanese PM is grandson of WWII PM and visits the Yasukuni Shrine (for WWII fallen soldiers).

Japan recently changed the constitution to allow offensive action. I think it’s increasing its military budget too.

So much for Treaty of SF.

I have no problem with either.

Not every Japanese soldier was a war criminal, and Japan could be a powerful Asian ally to the West.

You should change your name to Tokyoguy1 to reflect your true allegiance. :wink:

I like Japan, but yeah… if Taiwan “reunites” with Japan, they would be the submissive partner and lose their sovereignty. This country would no longer really be Taiwan, but Japan 2.

Japan allows its baseball teams to hold Korean and Taiwanese players on reserve without having them go against their foreign player limit.

So Taiwan is part of Japan in a loose sense.

Also, I haven’t seen any Westerners who are Japanese citizens, except for mixed kids.

There are Westerners who’ve given up their passport to become Japanese

I would prefer to reunite with the Dutch once again.

1 Like

Interesting. You have specific examples?

Yep. There’s James Abegglen, who I believe took a hot springs establishment to court back when some of them wouldn’t let foreigners in. He had become Japanese and said they had no right to refuse him entry. He won.

Update: The guy who became Japanese and sued the hot springs for not allowing foreigners in was this fellow Debito Arudou - Wikipedia

2 Likes

Interestingly enough Japan doesn’t allow dual citizenship in any circumstances, so if you become Japanese you really become Japanese. If they suspect you’re carrying two passports at the airport they’ll give you a good pat down to find it. Or they’ll ask you where your American stamp in your Japanese passport is if you fly to the States, as you can’t enter the States on a foreign passport if you have an American one.

My friend used to fly through Canada to the States to get a Canadian stamp in her Japanese passport so they wouldn’t hassle her back in Japan (she’s American/Japanese). Also she’d give her passport to anyone she was travelling with, and send them through immigration first.

2 Likes

wow it makes Taiwan sound foreigner friendly. That’s crazy stuff.

5 Likes

Taiwan is by far the friendliest country towards foreigners among the big 4 East Asian countries (Japan, South Korea, China and Taiwan).

4 Likes

“Friendly” means a lot of things here. Official policies. Attitudes of locals. Cultural norms.

Yes, I’m taking those factors into account.

That’s true. But not foreigner friendly enough!

1 Like

In theory Taiwan could probably become part of European Union if they were to tweak their rules to accept nations outside Europe but the main obstacle would probably be unquestioned statehood requirement.

Maybe if China disintegrated into Guangdong, Manchukuo, Tibet, East Turkestan, Inner Mongolia with new nation states for the minorities, it would not be a threat to regional peace any longer.

Bur then some theorize that Taiwan is kept by the US to in the future replace the CCP over all China, that’s why the US would not recognize its independence.

I wonder when non-Chinese living in Taiwan will be given asylum rights in Europe for widespread discrimination in TW. There is a mountain of evidence if you google “foreigner discrimination” in Taiwan. Could add all those articles to an asylum claim.

Er… then it’s not a “European” Union…

1 Like

I knew a white guy on a TW TARC who was trying to get a Luxingzheng for China as many Taiwanese do. He was denied because he wasn’t Chinese-looking. Nazi China, I wonder if they have skull shape measuring equipment in their embassies to determine who is Han.

no big deal, it used to be called a European Coal and Steel Alliance. They can change the name.