Lumber inTaichung

Hi. I am looking for a place to buy wood in Taichung . Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jacq

the yellow pages

I think he’s quite green not realizing that outside some pretty special situations and places, English just isn’t used normally and Taiwanese is exceptionally useful, especially in situations like this.

If you need it super easy, then B&Q(they’re known by something else now in Chinese, 仂匠坊) is your best bet. I don’t know where they are in Taichung. I do know where they are in Zhanghua and Yuanlin. They’ll even cut the wood for you.

You’re more than likely going to have to drag someone along that can reasonably translate for you and isn’t completely gormless. It also depends on what kind of wood you want. The place I used in Zhanghua will deliver, but they won’t cut it. If you want firewood/sawdust, that’s a different shop though for me in Pusin.

You’re best bet is to let us know what kind of wood you want and we may be able to point you in that direction; or you can go to the phone company, get the yellow pages and have someone call shops till you find what you want. tw.dictionary.yahoo.com is the website I use for translating and counting strokes. You’ll need to know how to find it in Chinese in the yellow pages because most Taiwanese won’t be able to and have no clue what the yellow pages are or how to use them. If you can use the Chinese yellow pages and google maps, you can basically find anything in Taiwan. The only thing that has stumped me is straw.

If you want construction wood, they’re plentiful and most so called lumber shop sells only construction wood.

For real wood like mahogany I have not had much luck with it…

I think he’s quite green not realizing that outside some pretty special situations and places, English just isn’t used normally and Taiwanese is exceptionally useful, especially in situations like this.

If you need it super easy, then B&Q(they’re known by something else now in Chinese, 仂匠坊) is your best bet. I don’t know where they are in Taichung. I do know where they are in Zhanghua and Yuanlin. They’ll even cut the wood for you.

You’re more than likely going to have to drag someone along that can reasonably translate for you and isn’t completely gormless. It also depends on what kind of wood you want. The place I used in Zhanghua will deliver, but they won’t cut it. If you want firewood/sawdust, that’s a different shop though for me in Pusin.

You’re best bet is to let us know what kind of wood you want and we may be able to point you in that direction; or you can go to the phone company, get the yellow pages and have someone call shops till you find what you want. tw.dictionary.yahoo.com is the website I use for translating and counting strokes. You’ll need to know how to find it in Chinese in the yellow pages because most Taiwanese won’t be able to and have no clue what the yellow pages are or how to use them. If you can use the Chinese yellow pages and google maps, you can basically find anything in Taiwan. The only thing that has stumped me is straw.[/quote]

Thanks, Okami. I think I need to find a Chinese/Taiwanese speaker to help me out on this one. I will check B&Q, though, to see what they have.
Thanks again.

I can tell you what 特力屋 stocks. They stock particle board and low-quality plywood in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. They also sell finger jointed lumber in standard sizes in 3-meter lengths. There are also some special cuts for skirting boards, ceiling moldings, picture frames etc. And that’s it.

Sorry dude! Matthew Gloag was channeling me last night. The guys on this website will set you straight. http/woodworker.tw. They WILL have what you need. As long as you got the cash. Or, they’ll be able to point you in the right direction for the Chungle.

There is a fairly large lumber shop on the NE corner of WuQuan W and ZhongMing.

Thanks to everybody who gave me suggestions. B&Q is not that far from my house, nor is Wuquan and Zhongming.

Nice to have people who can assist a newbie with virtually no Chinese language skills…

Thanks again.

Do they have a website or a phone number? I need a stable source of African mahogany and I haven’t found anything except for the crap philippine mahogany that are sold in 99% of the so called lumber shop here. I have been looking for a real lumber shop in Taipei and no one can help…

For sure they have a phone number (they have a busy office), but I can’t see it from google’s street view. Maybe you can find it.

They’re at 忠明南路 & 存中街 in 403台中市西區. It looks like the address is 忠明南路416號, but google maps keeps bringing up a neighboring house for that address. If you go on street view, move a little south on ZhongMing to the other side of TsuenZhong, staying on the east side of ZhongMing, and you’ll see a big factory-looking building with two blue trucks outside. That’s the place.