Lumpia, hidden Austronesian meaning?

In Tailo that would be po̍k-piánn.

Watching people make it is an art form as well.

Would it? I hear “thin” like “po”

Yes, Filipino version lumpia are more masarap :yum: and crunchy making these need patience to prepare and the frying…

2 Likes

薄 is either po̍k or po̍h, sounding like po is probably just a trend of not saying entering tones properly. So po̍k trends towards sounding like po̍h, and po̍h sounds more and more like po.

For example, 淺薄 is tshián-po̍h, 薄荷 is po̍k-hô, 有淡薄 (have some) is ū-tām-po̍h

That’s two distinct usages though. Could it even be a literary/colloquial distinction of the character?

Usually po̍k would be the literary reading, and po̍h would be colloquial.

1 Like

I prefer the less sweet and more savory/spicy variety.

Wouldn’t that be a burrito?

Actually you can put anything in a lūn-piánn, so many put spicy sauce in theirs.

I don’t want a Taiwanese version. I bet there is someone in Taipei making authentic ones.

Authentic Philippine ones?

1 Like

This made me laugh.
How is it not authentic here ?

A fried lunbbing sounds awful to me.

It’s kind of interesting the lunbing wrap presaged the veg wraps that have become popular over the last ten years.

Yes. They have to be here somewhere. I cook authentic American food at home so I’m sure there are Filipinos cooking them here.

Check out Chungshan N Sec 3 area on a Sunday perhaps?

I should do that. I’ve bought chicharons at a grocery over there. I should just ask someone which place is good. I noticed a side street behind Chungshan road that has a few Filipino cafes.

here you go

Classic 1971 field anthropology documentary.

They look more Micronesian to me.