Lunar New Years customs that you have observed in Taiwan

Yeah but that’s a year round thing, not a Chinese New Year thing.

Still confused about that time I was expected to divide a pulled pork burger into six pieces to share…

3 Likes

I don’t know…today this was highway 9 southbound for at least 10km, between Suao and Nan’ao.

Not allowed to clean, do laundry, throw out trash from new years day till the 6th.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s annoying! :joy:

I got caught a few times where I forgot this and had a lot of garbage I couldn’t take out because they locked the building garbage area. I may or may not have used a city garbage can to get rid of smelly stuff

1 Like

Well played! I have been exempted from most kitchen duties due time one various slips, trips, drops, nicks, and inconveniently placed flames along the way. Only the Thanksgiving turkey remains at this point, I think. And toast in desperate times.

We just do one day. Showering ok before the 6th?

1 Like

Today is the day for the wife to return to her family. For me, it is the most boring day of the lunar new year. All the cousins are gone, no cooking allowed, just 2 day old leftovers. I snuck out to 7-11 to grab something halfway decent to eat for me and the kids. Decided to eat in 7-11 to avoid the walk of shame and stares / comments from inlaws about why isnt their food good enough. Feel like a kid trying to sneak a cookie or something. I really hate this holiday.

Everyone demands the kids greet them by saying their title each and every time entering the house. It gets old really fast. One of my kids is fine with it, the other is shy and prefers not to. Says the old people scare him. We had a talk about being polite. Still no dice. But the older generation still demand and complain.

Does your family expect the same?

3 Likes

My kid isn’t expected to do that. Sounds very traditional.

It reminds me of when I did taekwondo here when upon entering the dojo all the students had to bow to every adult. There were usually half a dozen or so old people sitting around drinking tea. I appreciate learning respect, but it got a bit ridiculous after a while.

2 Likes

My wife encourages our kids to greet by title but the relatives are pretty casual about it.

1 Like

I do not, but other kids call me “Uncle” in English to me, then in Chinese telling other in Chinese my Chinese nickname (basically my real name in a Chinese word(s) that sound the same. (they say the same, I have lots of hair forgetting it’s same as last year. I have to shave often and well these days!))

1 Like

I got 2 dining room chairs this year, leather sofa last year

1 Like

You’re the foreigner that can take the alcohol, everyone against one, ganbei!
And if you gamble, try to lose, people like that.

This year I introduced a new custom, breaking eggs on the bus!

It’s paipai.

baibai

Saysay again.

1 Like

I’ve made it clear I won’t eat mother in law’s food for that reason.
I cook my own to bring or just grab instant noodles. Not great, but at least I’m not guaranteed to get food poisoning.

That’s not a thing in many families, daughter in law will be the chef on duty. Maybe they pre-cut everything?

I’ve never seen stuff suitable for up/recycling, most is just utter trash. You probably live in an affluent neighborhood.

These stupid foreign ideas of serving plated food for each person, so dumb. People just share what they ordered.