Lunch box shop Da'an

There’s another takeway one near the Tsutaya video store.

1 Like

The best one is just around the side street in the alley from the street that has a tree kind of in the middle of the road but not really in the middle of road next to some of those post boxes that aren’t really postable and there is a Japanese house there but I think it’s closed now except at lunchtime beside Fried Chicken stall but not really beside it but really I think besides the bus stop yeah the bus stop.

1 Like

Yeah, that one’s, like, totally my favorite!

2 Likes

Are university cafeterias still the cheapest deal? Dunno about Shida, but Taida (NTU) is still edible…for the price. And quantities can fill male tummies.

1 Like

I wandered over to the NTU area last summer with the gf and we came across some restaurants that were self serve rice AND soup. Those are the places you should be looking into, OP.

After awhile, bento for lunch and dinner will get reaaaally boring. Spending 150-200NT for a main dish and unlimited rice/soup is pretty damn awesome and they are a plenty in the university area. Just have to look!

1 Like

That’s pretty expensive, though, at least by local standards. The foreigners I work with spend a minimum of 100 on lunch, which is pretty crazy. My lunch max is 110, but there are plenty of options cheaper than that, whether it’s lunch boxes, breakfast places, cold noodles, etc.

None of them are paleo diet though.

1 Like

Oh, I agree, over 100NT for lunch tends to be more than I would regularly want to spend. I stay in the 85 or 90NT range for my bento. Nonetheless, I splurge on Fridays and run it up to 150NT.

It’s expensive if OP eats it everyday, but 150-200NT every once in awhile isn’t really going to break the bank. Also, a change of food will also help keep him sane.

2 Likes

Gotcha; just seen plenty of foreigners here living that lifestyle. When I suggest a cheaper option they often get annoyed, or even act like 50NT for lunch has to be gutter oil junk for peasants.

1 Like

These responses have really been awesome and helpful. Thanks so much everyone! :slight_smile:

Look, here at the office we do have a 50 ntd a meal cafeteria. It may not be gutter oil but the veggies are swimming in a “soup” of oil. For my health, I cannot do that every day. I am not a Spring chicken anymore.

Most foreigners develop fatty liver while on a local diet, and I am not pointing fingers, but all those years of 50 to 100 ntd meals … Veggies in oil… Gallstiones anyone? Now I have no other option but 200 to 300 ntd fare for lunch, and my stomach thanks me for it. One more lu rou fan and I will end up in the hospital. Again.

1 Like

It depends; not every lunchbox has greasy vegetables. Some are so greasy I won’t touch them, like the popular vegetarian cafeteria on Heping E. Road near the Fubon bank (and pricey to boot). Other places cook their food in more health-conscious ways. Just have to patronize those places.

That said I mix it up; it’s not like lunchboxes are all I eat for lunch. Besides, I’m not a lady who needs a fancy meal every day.

1 Like

Can you eat at school cafeterias? I have not been in school for 2 years, would it still be okay?

I see people of all walks of life at Taida, dunno about the others. haven’t been to Shida since… well, I would tell you about the ol times but that would put you off your appetite.

1 Like

Agreed, though the curve tends to be more oil, less pricey. Again, I agree about vegetarian fare: it may not necessarily be the healthiest, as fried stuffs occupy too large a place and such “ample range” in the quality of the cooking.

And triple yes, I do agree with the variety being healthier, as much as possible.

And yep, we ladies like fancy meals and high tea.

But back when I was a student in Shida there was more variety and a lot more pay per weight/bientang places. :grandpa: Alas, as rents have gone up, some fled to Gongguan, some just dissappeared. :sob:

Heck, back in my day I had dinner for 25 ntd. Now, even a 711 sandwich is 38 ntd.

2 Likes

Oh and they are open on weekends too, at least the one next to the Main Library is.

1 Like

25NT, it’s like being in the south! :joy:

Shida actually doesn’t have many options, darn complaining residents.

1 Like

This thread opens my eyes to the vast differencees of lifestyles in Taiwan. I know lots of people that’s regularly spend 500 or much more for lunch. 1000 or more at dinner is common with many dinners a month hitting upwards of 3000.

1 Like

That’s a expat standard.

1 Like

Hahaha, the most I ever spend is 75, or 95 tops. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Heck, I would too if I was on a cushy expat package. :joy: Would need to be careful about getting fat like that, though.

1 Like