Lunch/dinner you get for 30-45NT$

[quote]Among the most popular restaurants in Taiwan, Formosa Chang (鬍鬚張), a traditional Taiwanese cuisine chain, raised the price of its braised pork rice to NT$35 from NT$33 in July.
It was the third price increase for Formosa Chang last year.

PORK HIKES
Many other braised pork rice suppliers also raised their prices to between NT$30 and NT$45 from about NT$25.[/quote]

Anyone concerned about food quality?
Or is it just simple fare … rice smothered with grease and pork?

taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … 2003609016

That’s exactly what it is. Your guess is as good as mine about the quality.

I like the place on Roosevelt across the alley from the Nanmen Market. Jin Feng I think.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]
Or is it just simple fare … rice smothered with grease and pork?

[/quote]

That’s exactly what it is. Your guess is as good as mine about the quality.

I like the place on Roosevelt across the alley from the Nanmen Market. Jin Feng I think.[/quote]

To me it sounds more like emergency food ration in Africa … rice with little else!

Anyone concerned about food quality?[/quote]
Pshaw. There hasn’t been a food scandal in, like, 200 hours or so. Of course the food’s good and healthy. It’s famous, you know.

(And no, I’d never order a main dish at that price here in Taiwan. I probably did so during my first couple of months here, before money started flowing, but unless I’m living at poverty levels - no way.)

Eating for 35NT$?

I have bad news and good news: The bad news are that you’re going to eat a turd. The good news are, on the other hand, that you can eat as much as you want!

Not really guys. It is one simple, single bowl of rice, fist size, topped with minced pork, probably no more than a spoonful, marinated in a lot of soy sauce. Hence, 35 nts a portion. It is not a bento/bientang box. Actually, they may add pickled radish on top, colored yellow with some concoction you really must be worried about.

You can have the same but with noodles for as little as 40nts. Again, it may satisfy hunger pangs… if you are not that hungry. As a snack, it is OK.

It is a traditional filler, not a meal per se, as the turkey rice.

You can get a glass of soy milk and a steamed bun for 35 nts. That is also quite substantial. And while the quality of the ingredients may be debatable, it is still cheap, filling fare that is not such a threat to your health as say, fried chicken -portions used to be 40 nts back in the day.

We used to have duck soup and noodles for 25 nts, that I think now is 50nts or so in Ximenting. It has a lot of water, not many noodles, and a scalpel cut piece of duck meat.

the lu rou fan place near my old apartment i used to go to had a really strong smell, kinda like poop. do they all have this smell about them? pretty much ruined the dish for me.

My coworkers call it “Rice Cake”, it’s eaxctly like that. They sell it at a local store that also prepares lamp soup, so people can have the “rice cake” as a side dish. Definitely not a main!

can’t you buy fried chicken breast for 50 NTD?

Sure! That gutter oil tastes like a million [strike]bucks[/strike] turds!

Peck and Peck I think is like 70 or 80, isn’t it?

I occasionally buy one Thai style in Gongguan, with a bed of salad, I think it is 90nts, if I am not mistaken. My favorite BBQ chicken in Shilin is like 50 nts, maybe, but it is rather small. So there is a certain probability it could be real chicken.

40NT$

Hmm… that was one of my first questions i asked my local colleagues but none seemed to care or even wondered how the hell is it possible to eat a meal for 40ntd… I avoid these kind of places as much as i can but when i have to go (you know… colleague kind of eat-all-together gatherings) i just try to eat the most plain plate… then i go to 7-11 and get a banana… saaaaaaaaaaaad…
No, chinese (everyday) food is just filthy … sad that a very important cultural aspect has been so much downgraded…
Ha! Just remembered a colleague coming back to the office from a stinky, sticky (literally your shoes stick on the disgusting floor) complaining that they rose the price 5ntd more… just disgusting…