Lung Yingtai article

This was in the South China Morning Post on Saturday, January 8, 2005. You can only access it by paid subscription.

For cross-strait relations, I find Lung Yingtai to be one of the few sane commentators in a wilderness of zealous nut jobs. I thought some people here might enjoy excerpts from this essay.

[quote]I met a mainland writer in Zurich on a winter’s day in 1996, the time when Beijing was shooting missiles near Taiwan in an effort to influence the local election there. Over a glass of wine we began to compare our biographical sketches and make discoveries.

Born in the same year as I was, he also played in school theatres, taking up the role of the little soldier thrusting bayonets at the enemy, singing patriotic songs and delivering emotional speeches on how to “liberate” Taiwan. However, similarities stopped here. Soon enough we discovered that his heroes were my traitors and his criminals my martyrs. The historical figures condemned as tyrants in my history lessons were lauded in his as great nation-makers.

The great writers enshrined in his museums I had never read, and our respected writers were on his censored list. He had no association whatsoever with the songs of, say, Bob Dylan, who we had embraced under heavy American influences, and I’d never heard of The Night of the Moscow Suburb, a song which would bring tears to his eyes. When he used the term “left” he meant a stubborn conservatism hostile to openness, progressiveness and reform, what we called “right”, or even worse, “fundamentalist”. His “rightist” was my “leftist”.

Thus when we entered a serious discussion, we realised that we were dancing on slippery ice: be it radicalism, liberalism, nationalism; be it revolution, evolution, modernisation; be it democracy, liberty or equality. Words didn’t carry the same nuances of meaning and didn’t generate the same associations or imagery. It was, to use a Taiwanese expression, as if the chickens tried talking with the ducks…

During the time when the Taiwanese election last year captivated the whole Chinese world and the “suspicious” shooting of the president sent the Taiwanese population into agony, I wrote several articles which were published on the same day in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, the US, and the internet in China.

In short, I attacked a weak and incompetent Chen Shui-bian for manipulating ethnic conflicts and pursuing confrontation with the mainland at the cost of national security and international relations, all for the immoral purpose of securing votes.

But, I added, what actually enabled Mr Chen to keep me “hostage” was the threat the Chinese dictatorship posed on the democracy of Taiwan - the policy of military threat as well as international isolation against Taiwan was the real source of oppression that the Taiwanese suffered from.

The series of articles along this vein touched off a storm of debate both in Taiwan and on the mainland. Mainland readers are blocked from the web world outside and most Taiwanese readers are not in the habit of surfing mainland sites; the debates therefore were carried out simultaneously, but were divided like two parallel lines which never meet.

The Taiwanese readers who disagreed with my position tended to stress their “Taiwanese-ness”, which had suffered during the rule of the nationalist Chinese for four decades…

Many readers expressed a distrust of the utopia of independence and an unwillingness to cut the cultural bond to the mainland…

A postcard to me carried a different tone: “Ms Lung, since you love China more than Taiwan, crawl back to China and leave Taiwan to us. You don’t belong here anyway…”

The predominant responses from mainland readers of my articles were passionate calls of nationalism…

The nationalistic frenzy apparently made the Chinese intellectuals uneasy and many of them felt compelled to write in defence of my “Defence of Taiwanese Democracy”…

[…]Today I realise what is dark, sinister, incomprehensible is not that particular mass of land beyond the ocean; it lies deep in the hearts of human beings desiring power over others, any place, any time.

The nationalistic zealots contrast so poignantly with the free spirits of the critical intellectuals on both sides. Thus the “borders” that I am crossing are cut not so much along national or ethnical or religious lines - they are actually demarcation lines of reason.[/quote]

Jive Turkey, thank you very much for sharing. I’m sure the article in Chinese is even more powerful.

I agree, excellent essay. One of the things I like the most, and which maybe should have been mentioned again toward the end of the essay, is the idea that people have different preconceptions for a word, different associations, and that alone, more than actual substantial disagreements, is a cause for much of that animosity. On topics of “unification” and “indepedence,” underlying associations we have with the words prevent a civil discussion that gets to the heart of the matter. Half the time people could probably just agree, and the other half they could at least respect the other person’s vision and ideas-- but instead we argue over mostly misunderstandings. :s

[quote=“Jive Turkey”]Today I realise what is dark, sinister, incomprehensible is not that particular mass of land beyond the ocean; it lies deep in the hearts of human beings desiring power over others, any place, any time.

The nationalistic zealots contrast so poignantly with the free spirits of the critical intellectuals on both sides. Thus the “borders” that I am crossing are cut not so much along national or ethnical or religious lines - they are actually demarcation lines of reason.[/quote]

Excellent! Jive Turkey, it may be the posting of anothers work, but you just earned front runner status in the “post of the year” catagory in my book.

To this point I have not known of, nor read, Lung Yingtai. I will not let many days go by without reading more of her work. Thank you for the introduction.

OOC

Certainly sane, and not zealous in a flamboyant way, I agree.

But reading this, you wouldn’t instantly connect her to the things she did when she was in the Taipei City government. The purging of the 228 Museum was only the most obvious and obnoxious of these.

She writes, “In short, I attacked a weak and incompetent Chen Shui-bian for manipulating ethnic conflicts and pursuing confrontation with the mainland at the cost of national security and international relations, all for the immoral purpose of securing votes.”

Weak and incompetent? An interesting criticism, given that virtually no meaningful legislation or cross-strait detente was possible in his first term, regardless of Chen’s tactics. The men who best represent Lung’s interests

I don’t understand Miss Lung Tingtai’s essay. What is she trying to say? I believe she is a mainlander who feels superior to local Taiwan people, married to a German man, two kids in Germany, PHD in Heidelberg. She is the intellectual’s intellectual. Head in the clouds.

Ahem. There’s plenty to criticise in her essays, but instead of doing that, you seem to only be interested in summing her up with a few statements (some of which are false) about her background. She was born in Taiwan. She did not do her PhD in Germany. She did teach there, but she earned her PhD in the US. Which aspect of her background leads you to conclude that she has her head in the clouds?

Thank you very much, JT, for posting this.

I would not have seen this article, and as you said, since the SCMP requires a paid subcription for access, then I would never have found it online.

Thanks again.

Ahem. There’s plenty to criticise in her essays, but instead of doing that, Lane119 seems to only be interested in summing her up with a few statements (some of which are false) about her background. She was born in Taiwan. She did not do her PhD in Germany. She did teach there, but she earned her PhD in the US. Which aspect of her background leads you to conclude that she has her head in the clouds?[/quote]

Thanks for the correct background info. I stand, sit, corrected and eat humble pie. It’s my head in the clouds, now.

Just a side note:

A university student in China, around 25, who read the Lung essay after I relayed it to him via this website, he wrote me back this interesting note:

[’'Dear Mr. Lane,
It’s a very very very good essay you sent me.I like Lung Ying-Tai, who is not a stranger to
us Chinese readers. some essays written by her. Thanks you for sending such a
good essay to me, for i can’t see such a piece of writing here in mainland without your
email. I cannot access that forumosa.com website either. Censors I guess.

You know,when i read the part in her essay about an ex-soildier’s letter, there were tears in
my eyes, not because of nationalism, but because of the war between the Communist Party of China and
the KMT which made family break,
our motherland seperated!

I wonder whether you can feel contradictions sometimes in my email letters to you in Taiwan. i do.

On the one
hand, i’d like to see the China reunion with Taiwan,on the other hand i criticize my
gov’t on his some policies, media control for instance.

I can’t help this kind of feeling.

“nothing is more important than peace, where ordinary people can carry
on with their ordinary lives. And deep inside me there is a hidden,
delicate place that is called Chinese culture - the Tang poetry, the
ancient literature and history, the beautiful calligraphy, which is so
much part and parcel of me.”

The words above are the most important thing.
We are all Chinese, we are all human beings, why do we should fight each other?

why not cooperate with each other?’’]

Thanks lane119 for sharing. This pen pal of yours must offer some really interesting perspectives.

I just wanted to highlight something he wrote which I think bears further reflection and emphasis.

[quote=“lane119”]Just a side note:

A university student in China, around 25, who read the Lung essay after I relayed it to him via this website, he wrote me back this interesting note:

[“And deep inside me there is a hidden,
delicate place that is called Chinese culture - the Tang poetry, the
ancient literature and history, the beautiful calligraphy, which is so
much part and parcel of me.”

The words above are the most important thing.
We are all Chinese, we are all human beings, why do we should fight each other?

why not cooperate with each other?’’][/quote]

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]Thanks lane119 for sharing. This pen pal of yours must offer some really interesting perspectives.

[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed that email from China. Here’s a different side of the Lung story, from a 40 year old Taiwanese woman now settled in USA:

["Dear Lane,
I read the Lung piece u sent me. Here are my feelings:
Lung Yingtai was also brainwashed, but being a second generation of
mainlander, it’s hard for her to come down to the cruel truth. What I don’t
like is
that she wanted to appear neutral but she is not in essence. The
suprise
for her after she wrote those articles last year was the death threat from Chinese readers. I guess she does not
understand at all the younger generation of people of China, whose
growing
up was bathed in hatred. This was told to me by a Chinanese friend who knows
first hand so much suffering of the Falung Gung people in China.

One thing Lung should realize is that Taiwan’s democracy (though not
polished
one) is the only hope and seeds for the people of China. The hope and
seeds
need to be preserved and not threatened by the Authoritarian China
first.
Then, with a secured and stable Taiwan, the fire of democracy, human
rights
and free speech, etc, can be slowly ignited throughout China. I think
the
communists in China could see this clearly, that’s why they want to
take