Ma can guarantee peace for dozens of years

[quote][url=http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asiapacific/article_1150891.php/Taiwan_opposition_leaders_US_visit_may_help_China_ties]During his 10-day trip, Ma assured the US that Taiwan would not seek independence, but rather seek a 30- or 50-year peace pact with China, an interim agreement known as ‘modus vivendi.’

‘We have noticed Mr. Ma Ying-jeou’s recent remarks on cross-Strait ties. Regarding the interim-agreement proposal, it is already mentioned in the peace proposals made by Chinese Communist Party’

‘The proposals mentioned that on the basis of the 1992 ‘One China consensus,’ the two sides should resume dialogue and discuss Taiwan people’s concerns, like how Taiwan can participate in international affairs,’ he said.

‘Ma’s trip has a positive impact on cross-Strait ties. If the two sides sign the interim agreement, Taiwan can have peace for dozens of years,’ [/url][/quote]
Ma has done it again and secure the peace. Winning the hearts and mind of the people of Taiwan.

A dozen years is like 90 years in dog years, and like an infinity in internet time.

what happens in a dozen of years? Unify with China or face the PLA? putting things off will only mean that future generations will face the problem and the responsibility that we should deal with.

I’ve got an even better idea. Why doesn’t Taiwan pass a bill recognizing Beijing as the capital? They don’t have to change anything; just pretend that the capital is in China. But to make things even safer, actually adopt the Communist Party as the official government and appoint legislative representatives that are nominated by the Commies. After that, let the Communists appoint military and police officials. And why not change the name to Taiwan Province of the People’s Republic of China?

It’s possible that Ma already has these plans in mind, since they certainly would eliminate any risk of China attacking.

Mayor Ma is the elected mayor for Taipei City, neither him nor the party he is presently chairing have any mandate to voice the opinion of the People in Taiwan.

With an approval rating of 20%, I don’t think CSB has a mandate from the people of taiwan either.

Hooray! Peace in our time . . . hang on, I’ve heard that somewhere before . . .

Hmm . . .

HG

Elections are held every four years and it is often the case that an administration’s approval ratings are down during a term.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][/quote]What’s Morrissey doing there ? And who’s that dude on the far right in the sunglasses ?

Damn! It’s Elvis! :laughing:

HG

the history is plagued with “peace agreements” that never where more than just excuses to better prepare for war. Any Civilization player knows this.

Well if you guys believe Ma is going to start a war with PRC like Hitler, that should give TI people even more incentive to support Ma.

Unlike CSB, I’m sure if Ma ever decided to go to war with the PRC, he would do it and not waffle around the subject like CSB.

So support Ma, because his “peace guarantee” really means war

it is exactly the other way… we believe CCP will start a war with Taiwan…

And also, what is the cost of peace? The complete and total commitment that there will never be a democracy in Taiwan? Sometimes I wish that Ma would affiliate himself with the CCP, that way we would see his true collors.

So if it is the belief that the CCP is going to attack Taiwan. Who would you rather lead Taiwan? The KMT, who actually has experience fighting a military campaign against the CCP. Or the DPP who has no experience whatsoever in this type of endeavor.

Not only does Ma have the advantage diplomatically, due to his less confrontational platform, but he also has the advantage militarily as well, since the KMT is the only party with knowledge capital on Taiwan on how to engage the CCP.

Ma can guarantee peace for dozens of years, can anyone from the pan-Green side make such a bold claim?

There are so many obscenely unsupportable accusations made about the possibility of reconcillation. It’s hard to take it seriously.

Why in the world does cross-strait reconcillation imply that Taiwan “will never [have] a democracy”? Doesn’t that statement seem a little bombastic even to you?

KMT also has 50 years experience facing down and dealing with constant CCP threats towards Taiwan, while preserving Taiwan’s political autonomy from CCP for all those years.

Presidential advisor Koo Kuan-min, one of the most ardent TI supporters associated to the CSB administration, is hoping for anything but peace:

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003300142

[quote]
Although a military confrontation is likely given the volatile state of cross-strait affairs, there won’t be war in the Taiwan Strait because China would not want to drive away foreign investors and risk an economic collapse, Koo said.

If, unfortunately, the worst-case scenario happens, Koo said, “I would welcome it.”

“Taiwan’s biggest crisis is there is no national consensus on the nation’s future under China’s military threat,” he said.

“But if China were to launch a military attack against Taiwan, a consensus would be formed within a week,” Koo said. [/quote]

:laughing: :laughing:

And we all know how well that went. I mean, we do, right?

HG

[quote=“cctang”]There are so many obscenely unsupportable accusations made about the possibility of reconcillation. It’s hard to take it seriously.

Why in the world does cross-strait reconcillation imply that Taiwan “will never [have] a democracy”? Doesn’t that statement seem a little bombastic even to you?[/quote]

The preconditions CCP sets for reconcillation is unacceptable to many taiwanese.

[quote=“Decapitus”]
The preconditions CCP sets for reconcillation is unacceptable to many Taiwanese.[/quote]So says Decapitus.

But apparently, the elected leadership of the pan-Blues feel differently.

[quote=“cctang”][quote=“Decapitus”]
The preconditions CCP sets for reconcillation is unacceptable to many Taiwanese.[/quote]So says Decapitus.

But apparently, the elected leadership of the pan-Blues feel differently.[/quote]

Why is that, I wonder?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$