Ma cartoon on Japan, USA, China

This editorial cartoon by TACO today pretty mush sums it up.

“None of those is me,” Ma says.

What ARE his views on Japan, anyways?

We already know his views on China and US. But why is he so anti-Japan?

CARTOON HERE:

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 2005051398

He’s accused of being “anti-Japan” because he:

• made “hard-line” comments about ROC sovereignty vis-a-vis disputes with Japan over Taiwanese territory,

• speaks out against the Japanese right-wing activities (visits to Yakusuni, textbooks), just like most non-Japanese politicians in east Asia… at least, most politicians in east Asia who doesn’t have family members who proudly served in the Japanese military (Lee Tung-hui).

A lot of the voters who supported CSB, and a lot of the ‘light blue’ voters dislike Lee Teng-hui because they feel he loves Japan more than he loves Taiwan. So dissing Japan a bit helps Ma’s appeal to those voters.

Actually the moderates on Taiwan are pissed at Japan over the fishing rights.

They are also mad at USA for “ripping them off” on the arms package.

Ma’s position has a lot appeal for these people.

Ma hates Japan because he is being a good Communist Ally and following what big brother tells him.
Ma hates the USA because he wants the two countries, China and Taiwan to unite and the USA is stading in the way of a Communist Takeover.
Ma is Pro-China because he is the Chairman of the CHINA Nationlist Party (KMT). That is their whole credo. They love China more than they love Taiwan because they think of themselves as outsiders here in Taiwan. Having come from China, they of course are Pro-China.

The funny thing is that in Taiwan, Chinese citizens of Taiwan always tell people they are from China, but when these same people go to China they tell everyone they are from Taiwan. :loco:

Are you sure that’s correct? People from Taiwan around here, in US, say they are Chinese (ethnically), but they are from Taiwan.

Of course, I have no idea what the pro-TI folks say, since they seem to self-isolate themselves from the greater overseas Chinese communities. From what I read, they have no idea where they originated from. LOL.

Are you sure that’s correct? People from Taiwan around here, in US, say they are Chinese (ethnically), but they are from Taiwan.

Of course, I have no idea what the pro-TI folks say, since they seem to self-isolate themselves from the greater overseas Chinese communities. From what I read, they have no idea where they originated from. LOL.[/quote]
Are you sure that’s correct? Actually a lot of Chinese girls here also say they are from either Taipei, Hong Kong, or Shanghai, when in reality they are from neither.

From what I read, everyone is allowed freedom to choose what communities they hang out with. I wonder why you have the idea that choosing to hang out with other people from Taiwan automatically means that they are “isolating” themselves from another community.

Did you misread my statement or you are just playing with words?[/quote]

No one at all misread your statement!

Yeah on second thought your comment on Ti etc is rather silly. Anyways, for most people who are TI, when a Chinese person drops by and asks “Are you Chinese or what?” people usually just say “We’re Chinese” because they don’t want to cause a scene.

But yeah, like I said, if Chinese girls in NYC can go around saying they are Taiwanese or Shanghainese or Hong Kongese, even though theyre very obviously not, whats wrong with people from Taiwan saying theyre from China especially when someone like you asks? Its obvious you have an agenda and want a particular answer. After all, most of your posts end up AC Dropout style, a simple paragraph ratting on TI. Theres very little that is constructive in your messages besides any excuse to bash something that I doubt you understand. So yeah, your attitude and your behavior and your facial expression while asking such a question belies the answer you want immediately.

Its happened to myself a few times. During mid highschool, a Chinese kid walks up to me, and is like “Do you have national pride?” (I’m in HS so i’m like WTH?!?") and then he says literally “Are you a Chinese or you think yourself a Taiwanese?” and so I just shrugged and said “I’m Chinese”. That was the end of that.

So why can’t a Chinese girl in NYC just say she’s an American. Why do people automatically assume they must of originated from overseas because of the color of their skin?

How come when I ask a white person where are they from, they name some state or region in the USA, and not the country of origin prior to arriving to the USA?

Am I to assume that the Whites are giving subtle political messages they wish to succeed from the Union when they don’t answer they are an unhyphenated American?

I was just commenting on that to my girlfriend last night. She told me some German person of obvious Asian descent that she met at a party was an “Indonesian Chinese.” I said why does that matter since this person had clearly grown up in Germany - a multi-cultural country.

When a black person says they’re from the US (or wherever), nobody ever asks which part of Africa their bloodline stems from. So why do people ask this question of Asian-descent people so much more often? Methinks it’s weird.

If we go back to the cartoon, it is obvious to me that Ma is Pro-ROC. Being pro-ROC means that no other States interest can supercede ROC interest.

As to why Americanization is much more exclusive than Sinification, I believe the diverging point might be the famous “One Drop Rule” imposed on Black slavery. With only 1 drop of non-white blood an individual was labeled as non-white, thus not as authentic an American as White Americans. However, in Sinification, being accept as Han may not require any Han lineage at all.