Ma Catholic?

I don’t believe in any of it, which is why it all looks like splitting hairs to me.

That must be it! Thanks for clearing something that has long been a mystery to me.

Okay quick list from the Catholic handbook:

1.You aren’t forgiven any sins if ya ain’t sorry-I mean really sorry-and God knows if you’re holding back, and you can’t be forgiven for high level shit (sorry Father) like murder or being a lawyer until you are judged by God and Jr.

1. Good works on Earth get you a backstage pass to the VIP room upstairs -don’t think it’s that easy. Anonymous, life-long and self-less good works which help the poor, weak etc. Be a mantel of God’s love- don’t just buy the T-shirt.

3.No converting-no door knocking, side walking preaching, proselytizing etc Advertise by being a good person, know your beliefs and understand them (credo ut intellegam)

1. Respect all other religions-“My house has many windows in which the wind blows through” or something like that from Gandhi-which the old handbook quoted. No Jew hating-J.C., his ma, and pa, and Peter and the other rascals were all Jews.
    So stop hating!

2. You don’t worship Mary, Old Joe,the apostles or the saints. Ya can ask them for intervention-
    (Lost me keys, quick-St. Anthony where are they?!) like asking your mom to talk to your dad about something. Ya pray to the big G/ Jr. and the Ghost which is all the same thing in 3 parts-like a shamrock!

3. Follow the golden rule Do unto others etc., don’t have sex before you’re married which includes other men if you’re a man, altar boys, animals and yerself (remember Jimmy after you pee- any more than three shakes is a sin)
    never said anything about lesbians so I guess that’s okay.

4. Go to church, but even one other person who prays with you is technically considered church, receive the sacraments (I don’t want to go into them -read the feckin’ (sorry Father) book yerself). You can’t give last rights or perform a marriage, excorcism you need a collar for that but you can baptize people if ya want in an emergency and if the heathen is really wanting it.

5. No abortion, no female priests, no condoms but ya can eat meat on Fridays now and don’t have to learn Latin, or wait in line in purgatory.

Disclaimer:I don’t endorse nor support any religion so I guess I’m going to hell, but I’ll walk right through that front door for the VIP section I’m sure they have reserved for me.

That must be it! Thanks for clearing something that has long been a mystery to me.[/quote]

You don’t have to be Chinese to make this mistake. Evangelical Protestants love to split this hair. Growing up in Texas (as my name there might imply), I was often asked a follow up question “Catholic? Yeah, but are you Christian?” I’ve grown to HATE Evangelicals. Bleh, like not bathing in the summer time or eating dirt as a child. The evangelicals feel they are the only true followers of ol’ JC and the rest of us are rotten Papists.

As for the Chinese translation of heavenly lord religion, we can thank the first White Man to Convincingly Learn Chinese, Matteo Ricci (That is his actual Jesuit Title. Really…) for that bit of hyperbole… But Ricci is cooler than all of us. He died after he got sick following a month of drinking and eating parties held by his chinese hosts. Think about that the next time you’re wrapped around your fifteenth big green bottle of tasty Taiwan pijiu, sitting around the lazy susan as the san beiji and fried fish come floating around your way. You’re not a dissolute raffish wastrel - you’re participating in a 450 year old tradition!

Proof Cathlicks aint Chrischuns:

chick.com/reading/tracts/0074/0074_01.asp

chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

chick.com/catalog/catholicism.asp

[quote=“urodacus”]I know that too.

my trolls are normally better handled than that one.

Sorry, President Ma. ah, or should that be Mr Ma.[/quote]

Or Chief Executive Ma…

That question is based on ignornace and usage in the Chinese language. I use it as a teaching moment to explain to my Taiwanese friends and students that Catholics are not only Christians, but the other Christian denominations present in Taiwan all broke off from Catholicism.

It is Confession and Reconciliation. An integral part is apologizing for your sins and to prepare your heart to try to improve yourself. There is debate within the faith over the validity of Confession if it isn’t sincere.

Did you ever live in the US South?

Should I bite, take this as a statement of ignorance, or assume you are trolling?

Ehem, back on the original topic…

Ma attended the celebrations of the 150th aniversary of the evangelization of Isla Formosa last Saturday in Linkou. He told the audience that he recalled going to Church with his Grandmother in Wanhua.

Fascinating.