MA question: do nunchakus REALLY suck?

there’s this site claiming nunchaku totally suck. i don’t think so if they’re used the okinawan way. the bruce lee wanna be way, yeah they absolutely suck. but the okinawan way is a LOT less spectacular and very practical. thoughts from MA people?

Apparently you haven’t watched the recent Martial Arts vs. Crash Test Dummies: National Geographic’s FIGHT SCIENCE show on TV. There’s an article about it here: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=675

Too bad I can’t remember exactly what they said about nunchaku specifically, but you can check out youtube for “fight science” to watch it for yourself. A nunchaku is better than your empty fist, but it’s not the “ultimate” weapon. Basically, I think it comes down to the time it takes for a nunchaku to be ready for a new strike. Since it is semiflexible, it may bounce unpredictably; therefore, it may take longer to get the next strike in, so it would then be slower than some other weapons. While it’s got strength, it can’t be used in a small room where there’s no room to swing.

I think it depends on whether you’re a giver or a taker

KINKY :laughing:

Nah, they’re lazy farkers, if you don’t keep constantly at them they’ll just hang around doing nothing.

So nope, they don’t work. Don’t give 'em a job, that’s for sure.

Now you’ve changed the frigging question? Do they suck? How is that even remotely possible?

HG

now that was totally GENIUS! I’m luvin it!!

[quote=“twocs”]Apparently you haven’t watched the recent Martial Arts vs. Crash Test Dummies: National Geographic’s FIGHT SCIENCE show on TV. There’s an article about it here: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=675

Too bad I can’t remember exactly what they said about nunchaku specifically, but you can check out youtube for “fight science” to watch it for yourself. A nunchaku is better than your empty fist, but it’s not the “ultimate” weapon. Basically, I think it comes down to the time it takes for a nunchaku to be ready for a new strike. Since it is semiflexible, it may bounce unpredictably; therefore, it may take longer to get the next strike in, so it would then be slower than some other weapons. While it’s got strength, it can’t be used in a small room where there’s no room to swing.[/quote]

I didn’t really take that show too serious. A little ridiculous testing practicality of MA strikes on a dummy that doesn’t move.

The question is a poorly phrased one.

Can nunchuks hurt and disable an opponent? Yes

Are they practical in a modern street sense? Not really.

The first problemt with most weapons is that they are illegal to carry. Walk around with a bamboo bokken or a set of nunchuks and you’ll be arrested for possession.

So if you can’t carry them, then for most intents and purposes you will not be able to make use of them (in the street). Then what’s the use.

In a modern sense, it’s better first to learn to fight empty-handed, grapple, etc. With weapons, it’s best to be able to adapt anything you can find in public using common items. Some prefer carrying the extendible sticks. They can be hidden, and can be found in many sizes so as to be concealable. But you don’t want to be caught with one.

Ironically, a nunchuk was just such a common farmer item (beat the crap out of the husks grain) that was adapted to combat use (farmers against bandits and swordsmen for e.g.)

They work well for killing zombies.

the dawn of the dead part 1 or part 2 variety? the ones in part 1 can only walk and moan. the ones in part 2 run like a MFer! that movie scares me out of my mind! luvin’ it!

They suck for practical use unless someone’s breaking into your place. But they’re great weapons.

There are a lot of grappling techniques you can learn with them.
They’re fast and hit hard.
There are a lot of strikes you can use to either stun or completely put a guy out.
They can be used as sticks then switched to a swinging weapon like you traditionally think of.

If you have proper training, they are a fantastic weapon as far as what CAN be done with them. But, as pointed out in previous posts, can’t just carry a pair of chucks around. Escrima or Bo staff is probably the most practical weapon to learn. Can often find a stick to use.

(Quick Edit in this paragraph) In reality, you also have to consider what weapons training teaches you besides just how to use that one particular weapon. You’re dealing with a level of control and timing that will make your overall skills a lot better. So if you’re looking to learn a weapon to improve your martial arts, pick one you like over what will be “practical.” You will see how much it will improve your skills.

Matt