Ma Ying-jeou Wants More Taiwanese to Drown

Okay, he wants to open up the coastline to more recreational use.

[quote]Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday pledged to relax regulations on airspace and surrounding waters and turn the nation’s coastal areas into tourist destinations if elected president.

By allowing more recreational activities along the coast – such as the use of jet skis, yachts and smaller sailboats – Taiwan’s coastline could become as popular as Florida’s beaches or Australia’s Gold Coast, Ma said.[/quote]

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003373324

Sailing great, but more jet skis? Please god no.

It would be nice though to see harbours transformed into something reasonably attractive.

Good example, Ma. The national park hates all the engine-based water activity and actually has laws against it but can’t get the police to enforce anything. I met with the park’s board last winter and they said they want to keep jet skis out but the businesses are controlled by local thugs. When inspectors from the central government come the jet ski operators just close up shop for the day. I guess when Ma visits they take him for a ride. He he.

Jesus wept, the recreational types haven’t yet mastered the lay of the land.
Let them not indulge themselves in water.

Great! and the beaches can be full of tractors like down in Kending for towing the jetskis.

Ok, huge generalisation coming, but Taiwanese people can’t swim. Why is this a good idea?

Hm, just like Florida’s beaches, hey? Why the ridiculous hyperbole? Taiwan has some nice spots, but Australia’s Gold Coast? Huh?

They always could put some bike-pedal boats in the water …

more school swimming lessons would be a great start. got the money for that, Golden Horse?

I have more than once tried to swim at various places around Taiwan and been dragged out of the water for not wearing a life vest… the life guards say I set a bad example for those kids watching, who might drown by copying me.

taiwan kids could probably drown with a life vest on… they could probably drown in a bowl of soup… such is life

Hopefully more will, then we can mark the end of Shabu friggin’ Shabu

I for one am very glad to hear it. Taiwan’s coasts are the biggest wasted resource. There are over 150 days a year on the West coast that blow 12 knots or more - perfect for windsurfing.

Now if only they could get the fisherman to remove the steel spikes for the nets…it makes it a bit exciting getting washed if you’re windering if you’re gonna meet one.

I am continually amazed by the lack of recreational develop along the waterways and coast lines of Taiwan.
Spectacular locations for restaurants/bars/hotels and NOTHING!

These people just don’t know nothin’ about enjoying life.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I am continually amazed by the lack of recreational develop along the waterways and coast lines of Taiwan.

These people just don’t know nothin’ about enjoying life.[/quote]

I agree TC, but then I don’t work 60-70 hour weeks like the average Taiwanese seems to.

I think this is a good idea; maybe once the coastlines are opened up more people will feel compelled to learn how to swim. I’ve always thought that Taiwan’s coastline was a valuable, underutilized resource that should be developed.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I am continually amazed by the lack of recreational develop along the waterways and coast lines of Taiwan.
Spectacular locations for restaurants/bars/hotels and NOTHING![/quote]
Um, but that’s what I like about the east coast, it’s underdeveloped and relatively unspoiled. Maybe traditionally this is because it’s been such a slow trek from the major population centers, but that is changing, for better or worse. The west coast stinks, literally. It’s too polluted for tourism. Who wants to swim in their own shit? Hell, I don’t even want to look at it up close.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]I am continually amazed by the lack of recreational develop along the waterways and coast lines of Taiwan.
Um, but that’s what I like about the east coast, it’s underdeveloped and relatively unspoiled. Maybe traditionally this is because it’s been such a slow trek from the major population centers, but that is changing, for better or worse. The west coast stinks, literally. It’s too polluted for tourism. Who wants to swim in their own shit? Hell, I don’t even want to look at it up close.[/quote]

Again, maybe if these areas were targeted for tourism and recreation there would be impetus to clean them up. Many of the objections to this plan are a result of the fact that the coastlines and waterways have been closed and ignored for so long.

These people just don’t know nothin’ about enjoying life.[/quote]

You just don’t understand Taiwanese culture
:wink:

Seriously, though pretty hard to imagine any kind of coast line development turning into anything other than a new place to dump garbage or desert your family pet once you have decided it eats too much or is no longer convenient.

oh well :unamused: nice idea wrong country.

[quote=“Poagao”][quote=“redwagon”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]I am continually amazed by the lack of recreational develop along the waterways and coast lines of Taiwan.
Um, but that’s what I like about the east coast, it’s underdeveloped and relatively unspoiled. Maybe traditionally this is because it’s been such a slow trek from the major population centers, but that is changing, for better or worse. The west coast stinks, literally. It’s too polluted for tourism. Who wants to swim in their own shit? Hell, I don’t even want to look at it up close.[/quote]

Again, maybe if these areas were targeted for tourism and recreation there would be impetus to clean them up. Many of the objections to this plan are a result of the fact that the coastlines and waterways have been closed and ignored for so long.[/quote]

Good point, and despite my jabs I think development would probably be a good thing. A nice exampel if the 15km or so of bike path that they are developing along the coastline outside Xinzhu. The parts that are finished are clean and pretty. You can see they added sewage lines to the streams that flow into the ocean here and as a result the streams are clean and the ocean and beach is not littered with trash. Follow the path to the end where they are still working and you see the difference. No sewage so these filthy streams pump garbage and shit into the water, the beaches are dumping grounds, and so on. Once the bikeway is finished though that section too will be renewed.

Tourists bring their own garbage but this can be cleaned easily and people are slowly learning not to litter. It is far preferable to the garbage that is there now. It also makes it harder for serious dumping as people will always be around. Joe Huang dumping a lunch box is far better than Fisherman Ho dumping a barrel of used oil, used lines, etc.

But I also agree with Redwagon that not everywhere should get a hotel or bar stuck on it. Shanyuan beach outside Taidong is an example. It is one of themost beautiful beaches in Taiwan and used to have a campground and small Italian restaurant on it. Gov sold out to Taipei interests and now a hotel is being built that looks like a technical junior college (circa 1975). Does nothing for local business and encourgaes waste as most people staying there will fly in.

Then maybe regulation would be a good thing, at least better than letting anyone stick a hotel anywhere they like.

I find it interesting that Ma only mentions the expensive big toys as signs of coast development. How about average people? He is thinking big hotels, marinas, etc…which, from the experience of my own country, do not bring greater prosperity to the zone.

Land disputes, pollution from big proyects, marine life hecatomb, maybe. Prosperity? Dubious.

Local flavor, start small, easy does it. Fishing villages are already in a crisis, selling them off to big interests will not help, either.

As for local tourists, first of all, we need big signs saying:
IF YOU CANNOT SWIM, STAY AWAY FROM THE WATER.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Shanyuan beach outside Taidong is an example. It is one of themost beautiful beaches in Taiwan and used to have a campground and small Italian restaurant on it. Gov sold out to Taipei interests and now a hotel is being built that looks like a technical junior college (circa 1975).[/quote]Exactly. Imagine if every beach on the east coast looked like Green Bay… :noway:
We’re all imagining charming Bali-style villas on those bluffs, but the Taiwanese have other ideas, and they mostly involve bare concrete.

Nooo - say it’s not so! That’s my favourite Taiwanese beach. Bastards!