Ma Ying-jeou's legacy

This one, silly. I still don’t remember seeing much food going on in the new one.

Or, I should say, renovated one :melting_face:

Terminal One renovations were completed I believe in 2013.

The structure it inhabits was completed I think in 1979.

Your ideas of “new” are . . . quite special and unique. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

There’s a small food court on the bottom level outside of the restricted area (which you’d miss unless you specifically went looking for it), but your options are pretty limited once you get through security.

I was commenting on the one you guys are talking about. Newly renovated. Latest renovated. I don’t know the number, but the same frigging one. It has shitty food. Let me be dumb as hell and shit on their crappy food for f*ck sakes!

:hugs:

Best take I’ve read so far:

In the 2000s KMT leader Lien Chan lost his political footing in Taiwan [afterspivak’s note: this former VP lost elections in 2000 and in 2004], then started making trips to China to curry favor with the CCP. It was his path to political irrelevance in Taiwan, and now it feels like Ma Ying-jeou is taking the same route.

Source: https://twitter.com/DaveOhYeah/status/1775303985110655150

Guy

1 Like

As responsible governing parties in Taiwan are scrambling to help after the massive earthquake in Hualien yesterday, Ma dedicated his time and money to worshipping the Yellow Emperor in China. Ma reportedly exclaimed: “We are all descendents of the Yellow Emperor!” Ethnoracial fantasies, über alles!

Guy

1 Like

He is pretty God damn yellow! Give him that…

2 Likes

I still remember his indifferent response in 2009 to the Morakot disaster in southern Taiwan while he was president. Perhaps even then he wished he could be worshipping this fictitious Yellow Emperor instead of helping and supporting people, including a lot of brown people, in the south.

Guy

1 Like

I think it would be fair to refer to this excuse of a man as a “Yellow Belly” in future.

And yet, the people still love him. Cringey as all fugg. We need to get these MILFS proper dildos/equipment so they start voting with their big heads.

Do they? He left the KMT in shambles, deeply divided and unpopular. Maybe the best strategy is to keep this guy in the spotlight and let him keep talking . . .

Guy

1 Like

The demographic the need new tools, as mentioned above, certainly still love that trash. They are too old for the ktv now, so this seems like a fairly natural evolution.

Sadly I hear his praises on the daily all over the place when the TV is on. Restaraunts, friends/relatives homes, at work, offices, paying tax etc. It’s so damn strange. Shows how good a smile can be.

I need to hand it to this man: he is consistent.

Guy

3 Likes

And yes they are back together!

Guy

4 Likes

Brian Hioe, writing at New Bloom, reports on this meeting:

Guy

1 Like

Somebody will have to run the Taiwan province if the CCP take it. He’s only 73. Young by modern leadership standards.

I think it’s possible Lien Chan has priority. But I am no insider to KMT decision making, just an amateur posting stuff on the internet. :upside_down_face:

Guy

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I was going to quote what Ma said to some displaced Bitan aboriginals in 2007, but I think there’s been a lot written on the situation that led up to his comments, and it turns out that the whole thing is probably much bigger than Ma Ying-jeou.

In fact, it looks as if there might be a dissertation’s worth of material about what happened to those aboriginals (or maybe even several dissertations’ worth).

So never mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lots of race talk from Xi and Ma, what could politely be called Han chauvinism.

[Ma Ying-jeou in Beijing] thanked the Chinese side for the warm reception they had given the student delegation he is leading, which he said had deepened their understanding of Chinese culture and shown that “blood is thicker than water.”

“The Chinese people went through a hundred years of humiliation. In the last 30 years, through the efforts of Chinese people on both sides of the [Taiwan] strait, they have made steps together toward Chinese revitalization,” Ma said.

“Although the two sides of the strait have developed under different systems, the people on both sides are descendants of the Yan and Yellow emperors, and should work for the revitalization of China,” he said.

I’d say let this man talk as much as possible. It’s very useful for academics to analyze!

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/cross-strait/202404100018

5 Likes