Mac question

When I download a program (for example Azureus) there are two icons that end up on my desktop. I drop them into Applications so I know there are installed, but the icons remain on the desktop as well as an icon with a .dmg ending. If I send them to the trash, then the program doesn’t work and I have to re-download it.

How can I download programs etc… but not have them leave an icon on the desktop?

Thanks
:slight_smile:

[quote=“bushibanned”]When I download a program (for example Azureus) there are two icons that end up on my desktop. I drop them into Applications so I know there are installed, but the icons remain on the desktop as well as an icon with a .dmg ending. If I send them to the trash, then the program doesn’t work and I have to re-download it.

How can I download programs etc… but not have them leave an icon on the desktop?

Thanks
:slight_smile:[/quote]
You need to open the .dmg file on your desktop first.
Then, install the software either by dragging it into your application folder or by double clicking the installation package. Once you have done this, you need to eject the .dng file either by dragging it in the trash or by clicking the little triangle in the finder.
Now, you can open your app.
Good luck.

You can not eject a .dmg file, just delete it. Only volumes can be ejected.

when you click on a .dmg file, it opens and appears as a volume on the desktop. open the volume to see the app(s) inside, which should then be moved to the application folder. then eject the volume (by moving it to the trash or selecting it and choosing eject disk) and also either delete the .dmg file or move it to a storage folder if you want to keep the .dmg for some reason, like sharing it later with someone or for backup.

a .dmg is a ‘disk image’ file ie it is pretending to be a disk, so you can do disk related things with it, like mount and eject (but surprisingly, not format, i believe).

Thanks everyone!

[quote=“urodacus”]
a .dmg is a ‘disk image’ file ie it is pretending to be a disk, so you can do disk related things with it, like mount and eject (but surprisingly, not format, i believe).[/quote]

No, by clicking it you mount the disk, and this this disk image can be ejected. The .dmg file can not be removed by pressing the eject button.

correct. the virtual disk that it represents can be ejected, mounted, etc, like i said above. perhaps not clearly enough.