Mac users - Upgrade to Tiger?

[quote=“gary”]ratlung, what powerbook do you have and how much memory do you have?

what kind of apps do you run?
[/quote]

I have a Titanium Powerbook G4 1Ghz with 512MB. I mainly run some web applications, my Palm Desktop, ITexMac, PowerPoint, some medical imaging software (selfwritten), and sometimes, if I have time do some video processing (missingMPEGTools, and Sizzle etc. I think my 512 MB that I have now are barely enough. But good thing is, I never need to run all at once.

Update,

I forgot to mention Xcode.

i think you’re ok then. If you don’t need to run everything at once, you’re fine. I like to run all my apps at the same time.

1 gig would definitely be enough but I’d say go for the memory upgrade. I’m gonna upgrade to 2 gigs soon. Mainly because I’d prefer to run

virtual pc, mail, safari, skype, dashboard, adium, ical, macjournal, dictionary, itunes, preview, activity monitor, launchbar, terman and emacs are my basic apps I’d prefer to have running all the time.

then sometimes… word, pages, excel, photoshop, iphoto, final draft, preview, a few encyclopedias, xcode, and who knows what else.

[quote=“gary”]
virtual pc, mail, safari, skype, dashboard, adium, ical, macjournal, dictionary, itunes, preview, activity monitor, launchbar, terman and emacs are my basic apps I’d prefer to have running all the time.

then sometimes… word, pages, excel, photoshop, iphoto, final draft, preview, a few encyclopedias, xcode, and who knows what else.[/quote]

I think with this list of applications my poor little Powerbook will completely give up. But 2GB should be necessary. I don’t think I even can put that much in my machine.

Gary,

The Zhuyin function can be found within the Hanin feature in the International pref pane.
Thanks for the RSS tip…works like a charm.

[quote=“BotelTobago”]Gary,

The Zhuyin function can be found within the Hanin feature in the International pref pane.
Thanks for the RSS tip…works like a charm.[/quote]

Zhuyin is that bo po mo fo?

Limeydumbnutz :smiley:

Tiger is very sweet.

I’ve installed it on my four-year-old Quicksilver PowerMac and it’s faster and smooth. Hell, even UT2K4 plays better…

Yep, Zhuyin Fuhao is the official name for bopomofo.

:notworthy: Thanks Botel.

I’ll chime in and say that tiger is a worthy upgrade. Perhaps not worthy the excitement I felt prior to buying it - I have no life I guess - but some great improvements none the less. I’m certainly digging the refinements to the look n feel of the UI.

Other than Spotlight, I’m mostly psyched about the improvements they made to their bundled apps. , safari is much improved. The Wiki dashboard widget should be very useful.

The only disappointment I feel is that they didn’t give out t-shirts to those of us who made the effort to buy on opening day. :wink:

How much is Tiger in Taiwan? I am in Australia now and here it’s at 199A$, so I was wondering if it was better to buy it here.
Thanks

BotelTobago,

you found Zhuyin within Hanin? I thought Hanin was a different input method? The friend I talked to that works at an apple place around here I think also said Zhuyin wasn’t there.

igorveni,

Tiger is NT 4390; that's 179.43A.

Thanks, I’ll wait then to come back before buying it.

When I went digging around the international pref pane, I added Hanin to my input list. When I typed something, bopomofo popped up and began spitting out the character list like Hanyu pinyin normally does. Unfortunately I don’t have Zhuyin overlay stickers on my keyboard so I had to use the virtual keyboard viewer to write, but it worked all the same.

BotelTobago,

thanks. That’s what a friend at Nova showed me also. I never really tried since it’s my girlfriend typing chinese.

I thought Hanin was a separate input method in Panther.

after you installed Tiger
make sure you get this widget
dashboardlineup.com/article. … 2115833309

After installing try these tricks"

insanely-great.com/news.php?id=4822

So, for example, if you hold down the shift key while clicking the Dashboard icon in the dock, it will zoom slowly into view.

Here’s their list of slow-mo geeky GUI goodness:

there’s also a bunch of spotlight tips on macosxhints.

The great thing about OS X and Macs (Adobe apps too) has always been the power behind the simple GUI. Minimal clutter yet you can get to many more functions through keyboard or mouse shortcuts.

You can usually figure anything out just by trying modifier keys like shift, cmd, control, or option–in any app.

I’m happy. Now that Tiger’s out, OS X’s basic functionality seems pretty much there. Now Apple can finally do stuff that’s really new.

OS and app usability is so hurting. I’m back on Windows now for work. Even if I’ve used PCs and Windows for more than 20 years, after leaving for so long, I remember how much I eventually grew to dislike it. Macs I can live with–I love–but I more look forward to where Macs will be. The more I use OS X, the more I understand its UI design.

I think OS 10.5 - 10.7 may start to get some more radical and new UI changes and concepts. We’ve seen minor things; it’s time for the majors.

Did anybody hear if Apple is going to supply Tiger with the Mac Mini? I did not find any hints on apple.com

I thought I read this today: all macs now shipping with Tiger pre-installed. I can’t find the article anymore.