MACARONI CHEESE (DIY) Recipes & Ingredients

My Ma always used to throw a fucking can of fucking tomatoes in, every time.
Some fucking Depression-era thing.
I just puked a little in my mouth remembering it, it was fucking vile shit, we all just hated it.
I still fucking hate the oven-made kind.
I never tasted Kraft Dinner until I was in University, when we couldn’t afford the butter/margarine and just made it with water.
I hated that too.
I’ve since had the KD made properly and it’s OK.
Just keep the fucking canned tomatoes out of it.

[quote=“the chief”]My Ma always used to throw a fucking can of fucking tomatoes in, every time.
Some fucking Depression-era thing.
I just puked a little in my mouth remembering it, it was fucking vile shit, we all just hated it.
I still fucking hate the oven-made kind.
I never tasted Kraft Dinner until I was in University, when we couldn’t afford the butter/margarine and just made it with water.
I hated that too.
I’ve since had the KD made properly and it’s OK.
Just keep the fucking canned tomatoes out of it.[/quote]
I puked up a wee bit just reading that. We had it worse, though. Me ma would sometimes get like a quiche crust thing? And then chuck a can of tomatoes in there and some oregano or whatever. And that was it. Fuck! I mean to say!

I read the thread and thought wow no tomatoes and then you guys write this!! I don’t buy canned tomatoes, I make pasta with white sauce and tomatoes and all the kids in the play group used to love it…and puking onMa’s recipes :no-no: all those tomatoes are good for your skin and if you are not wrinkled yet, thank those cans of red stuff people!

Puking? That’s the least of it! One of my sisters has an 8-inch scar on her arm from where she ran straight through the French windows without opening them to escape from eating the stuff.

Puking? That’s the least of it! One of my sisters has an 8-inch scar on her arm from where she ran straight through the French windows without opening them to escape from eating the stuff.[/quote]
Hyperbole is your forte.

Costco carries a Kirkland brand mac & cheese; noodles, powdered cheese mix, everything in one box. They come in packs of fifteen or so.[/quote]
I’ve tried it. It’s pale in comparison to the real Kraft Dinner stuff.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been bummed that Costco stopped carrying Kraft and I’ve been debating whether or not to try the Kirkland brand. They bundle a whole shitload together and I didn’t want to be stuck with a bunch if it sucked.

Back to the original question. I like to throw in some Spam! Yeah, I said it. I love the stuff.

They still make that? Tell me it isn’t so. I have memories of deep fried spam in batter served for school lunches.

Come to think of it … it was quite nice.

Exactly what’s happened to me. I have about 2/3 of the bundle of them sitting in the cupboard feeling very neglected. They just don’t have the same flavor as the Kraft Dinner original.

IMHO, it’s mostly sacrilege to put anything in Kraft Dinner, especially tomatoes. The only thing I used to do was put some fried up lean ground beef in, or the odd sausage or hotdog cut up.

[quote=“the chief”]My Ma always used to throw a fucking can of fucking tomatoes in, every time.
[/quote]
I feel for ya buddy!