Machinist job in taiwan

Anyone know about getting a job as a machinist in Taiwan? What kind of pay should I expect?

www.104.com.tw

1 Like

That site doesn’t tell me how much to expect especially salary is all 面議

Also I don’t know what machinists are called in Chinese.

FYI

The site tells you.

https://www.104.com.tw/jb/wage/list?type=1&jobcat=2010001000&cat=jobother

5 Likes

Are there such a thing as hourly work for machinist? It doesn’t tell me if these guys work 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Because they seem kinda low compared to back home (where they can make 30 dollars an hour at the low end)

Yes I know this is Taiwan but that chart isn’t telling the whole story.

FYI

Stat is here.
http://statdb.mol.gov.tw/html/svy06/0635all.pdf

So only government statistics? No one worked or knows people who worked as a machinist in Taiwan?

Didn’t you have a neighbour who is a machinist or something like that?

If getting a job as a machinist means being employed, I don’t think the pay is greatly different from the stat.

45-55k per month with limited OT after labor reforms of last five years. Older workers with limited CNC experience have difficulty breaking into the field.

1 Like

What level of cnc skill should I have? I can read up on g codes and learn about cam programs but I really need a cnc machine to learn on…

Why is it harder for older machinists with limited cnc experience? Cam programs don’t seem that hard to use.

Ageism. Nobody wants to train older workers. Even more pronounced than in the west. Takes about five years of experience before you’re a proficient CNC machinist. I’ve talked with a few machinists/mold makers here over the years and they say they went to two year tech school to learn the basics of the trade.

1 Like

If you want to just work as an operator then the training is pretty minimal, but cad/cam machinists or toolmakers are skilled trades like any other, and it usually takes a good few years and college courses to train.

Do they do apprenticeships in Taiwan?

Most operators are low paid foreign labor.

I read they’re limiting foreign labors because of covid. Pretty much all the new cases in the last 2 weeks are foreign laborers.

Why is Taiwan so ageist though? Is it because of superstition?

Plus I thought foreign workers have a minimum wage far above minimum wage. Doesn’t mean they get that (agent fees and stuff) but it means the employer must pay that.

foreign blue collar labors not

so how much are foreign workers getting? Are they making below minimum?

Their minimum wage is not far above minimum wage. The same with locals’.

Then why are they bothering to hire foreign laborers?

Because they are cheaper than Taiwanese.