Macking in Taipei

[quote=“Cola”]According to the author of the book, “Macking is the ability to pick up women” and Anthony Berger, the macker, is quoted as saying “This seduction manual will tell you the newest, fastest and cheapest way to seduce women while talking to them, how to subconsciously get them and how to bring them back to your pad.”

titled:
Advanced Macking: The Shy Man’s Guide to One-night Stands
by Anthony Berger

apparently, macking is from an Italian slang term meaning “The Agility to Pic Up Wymen”[/quote]

Hey! What the H? The word “mack” doesn’t belong to men. Women can mack too. Here’s the REAL def:

1. macking
    flirting, being ostentatious to attract member(s) of the opposite sex.

OK, gotta go. I have some macking to do.

I think this is the offending article in English. They’ve tried to take it down, but the Google cache is still up.

[quote=“John Lee/Taipei City Government English Corner”]You’re pathetic and you can’t get a girl. Don’t worry?

So what has this article to do with the dirty furriners? Seems he’s aiming strictly at the local market with an eye on riling folks up against those damned uppity ABCs with their suave sophistication, debonair charm and understated good taste in classic cars.

Where is the Mack Daddy of them all when you need 'em. Pagging Miltown. Dr. Miltown. You’re needed in the forum… :sunglasses:

Oh this guy sounds like a handful. So he, went abroad for 16 years. Watched what the brothers were doing. It worked a couple of time. And now, he’s coming back to be the BIG fish in a little pond, cause his game probably didn’t get tooo far in a REAL BIG POND. :ponder:

Also, he’s the new military attaché to the Department of Information. He can’t slap anyone to get word out about him being in town, cause he works at the Dept. of (dis)information. And two, he’s gotta get married since he’s finished sowing his wild oats.

Why does “Slap my bitch up” come to mind when I read this article? :idunno:

The local media took the angle that, “If it’s written in English, it must be for foreigners.”
Plus, one local TV station found that the English website that it was posted on has a foreign Chief Editor. The reporter then assumed that the whole idea was thought up by the foreigner and the nice young Taiwanese man who wrote the thing was less responsible than the reprehensible editor. That’s the way it was reported on the six o’clock news in Chinese.

[color=red]The local media took the angle that, “If it’s written in English, it must be for foreigners.” [/color]
Plus, one local TV station found that the English website that it was posted on has a foreign Chief Editor. [color=red]The reporter then assumed that the whole idea was thought up by the foreigner and the nice young Taiwanese man who wrote the thing was less responsible than the reprehensible editor. [/color]That’s the way it was reported on the six o’clock news in Chinese.[/quote]

So some toenail local media doofus read something printed in English. Put two and two together and came up with a banana sandwich. Some other ‘expletive deleted’ found the website has a foreign editor, added two more to the already stupid ‘banana sandwich’ conclusion, and came up with… A terrapin in a bread bin! Excellent deductions. Now armed with the news that there is a terrapin in a bread bin they then show this on TV in a display of 'look what great reporters we are."
BTW, did the TRUTH get mentioned in that news report? Did they say, “we are a bunch of clueless plonkers and we have slurred the foreign community.” The answer to that question is: Eat my Aardvark.

I wipe my white ass with the Apple Daily. What a bunch of unprofessional pigs.

I’ve got an uncle that was a wildlife officer and he used to talk about bears “macking on berries.” I’ve always used “macking” as “eating with vigour.”

So when I say I spent last weekend “macking on a chicken” you’ll have to just use your imagination.

Taiwan News and the Taipei Times have front page articles today about the APPLE DAILY fiasco and city hall’s dumbdown. Mayor Ma has apologized.

East SouthWestNorth has a good summary of yesterday’s coverage and the correct sequence.

Actually, Apple Daily is very good at what they do. They obviously have semi-finished stories or research on file so that they can mobilize it when they get the ‘missing piece’ (in this case the web site story.)

Can it be possible that English Corner is really aimed at expatriates? I assumed that from a quick look at it yesterday, but the Chinese press says it’s for us :noway:

[Update] It is for ESL learners. See this introduction.

P, posting on the Living in Taiwan thread on this topic, noted yesterday: “Has no one caught on to what I think is the really interesting detail here – Apple was only retelling the story that was on the Taipei City Government’s website, before it was rapidly took down. It even says so in the Apple Daily story.”

Good point, P.

here’s the perp’s photo:

taipeitimes.com/News/front/p … 2005048838

[quote=“Cola”]
here’s the perp’s photo:

taipeitimes.com/News/front/p … 2005048838[/quote]

Wow! Is that what women want? :ponder:

AT least Mayor Ma stood up for the foreigners. Despite the grammatical errors by the editors of this article (the macking article is missing a question mark in the first paragraph) and hoopla surrounding the inclusion of such questionable material on the government’s website, nothing is happening to these workers. They are keeping their jobs.

It seems like the treatment of foreigners within the KMT-run City of Taipei Government is a hell of a lot better than under the DPP political appointees withinin Taiwan’s international development ministry (MOFA).

Good to see the Mayor’s Office standing up against sensationalism and racism directed towards foreigners. :bravo:

Feckin’ cakesucker. I saw this guy on the news last night. smarmy-faced weasel.

Seriously, this REALLY pisses me off. Not only is this guy a dick, but the foreign community as a whole gets a bad name because of him (and he isn’t even foreign).

Arse.

Incidentally, who did Ma apologise to? Or what did he say (a summary will do).

The original webpage is still available in Google’s cache. If it had been posted on Forumosa, it would have been floundered, nothing more, and yet it seems to be worthy of front page news in Taiwan :loco:
Here’s the text:

[quote]Macking in Taipei: Introduction
The Mack Himself: John Lee
You’re pathetic and you can’t get a girl. Don’t worry?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

[quote=“Old Gobbo”]
[/quote]

Leon Phelps?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]AT least Mayor Ma stood up for the foreigners. Despite the grammatical errors by the editors of this article (the macking article is missing a question mark in the first paragraph) and hoopla surrounding the inclusion of such questionable material on the government’s website, nothing is happening to these workers. They are keeping their jobs.

It seems like the treatment of foreigners within the KMT-run City of Taipei Government is a hell of a lot better than under the DPP political appointees withinin Taiwan’s international development ministry (MOFA).

Good to see the Mayor’s Office standing up against sensationalism and racism directed towards foreigners. :bravo:[/quote]

But why shouldn’t heads roll? There was some serious lack of judgment shown. One of the big questions about Ma is his failure to supervise–he seems to believe that by being kind (ren2) and setting a good example, he is doing enough. It’s when people don’t have to take responsibility for screwing up that mediocrity prevails. I don’t see a whole lot to celebrate here.

And to be fair the DPP City Councilors who are raising the issue (one of who has an American husband), want Ma to punish the civil servants in charge of the department, not the foreigners (who are probably the ones directly responsible).

http://english.taipei.gov.tw/doi/index.jsp?categid=640&recordid=4378&contentpage=5

If you click on this link above you will get a webpage about the author. I say that we email him our thoughts about his ideology of introducing macking into the TW community. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I don’t see how he’s giving the foreign community a bad name. As someone said before, the TWese probably will be laughing and snarling about him being an overseas chinese thinking he’s better with his article. Since this article has caused such a rukucks, any bets on how long before he goes back to LA since he thinks it’s better:

For entertainment purposes only:

[quote]John Lee
Military Personnel
Living in Taipei is definitely different than L.A. I like L.A. for its weather, driving conditions, parking spaces, and relaxing lifestyle. You don’t sweat like a pig because the weather is dry; you get to cruise around on perfectly straight and balanced roads; you never worry about finding parking spaces because they’re always available. Every Californian enjoys a kick-back life.

At the same time, Taipei has its advantages. I love the city’s convenience, food, and karaoke parlors. You don’t need to own a car in Taipei, and you’re still able to get around freely by MRT, taxi, or bus. There are great restaurants within walking distance wherever you are, and if you love to sing, you’re never far from a karaoke place.

I’d choose L.A. because it’s more comfortable and exciting.[/quote]

It’ll be a real hoot to find out that he left TW for 16 years to avoid doing military service. :smiley: