MaiCoin no longer accepting US, Japanese citizens

Not sure for how long, but MaiCoin’s terms of service now state they do not accept citizens from the US or Japan regardless of where they currently live.

It’ll probably be permanent. The US loves to keep financial tabs on its citizens and permanent residents abroad. I forget the exact laws but even many banks here have additional restrictions on US Americans.

FATCA. Some exchanges , lending dapps and many ICOs also restricted US citizens because of the securities laws.

I recommend bitoex anyway.

1 Like

Why Japanese citizens, though? Is there a Japan version of FATCA?

I think it’s all the banks here. Any public bank that does business outside its country’s boarders is required to, or complies in order to do business with American banks. Only banks that do business only within their own borders (though also with foreigners) isn’t bound by that requirement. At least, that’s what I understood from an article on the current state of hiding money in Swiss bank accounts.

MaiCoin are no longer accepting EEA citizens either :frowning:

Yea as permanent resident in the US if you have the green card taken away or abandoned, the IRS doesnt get the message and will hound you if you make enough overseas to attract attention.