Mainland Chinese Tourists Deface Plants in Taiwan

[color=#008000]Mod note: Title changed to reflect content.[/color]

Mainlanders doing what they do best - defacing the environment.

I aint hating, just saying.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/stories/mainland-chinese-tourists-deface-plants-in-taitung-taiwan.html

You must be aware of news stories where men raped grandmothers, and little girls in shelters during the Katrina hurricane…when the people were at their most vulnerable. You do not want me to start a thread about ‘What Americans do best’ coz well, there is no end to such stupid bigotry. You really don’t want a news story to define a people. Its shallow and racist. Yes some idiot wrote on a plant, he is an idiot. Period. Do you know how many such idiots live in TW?? Or the UK? Or Australia? Or Poland?? Plenty.

I agree with Div. A contemptible thread.

No he’s right. There’s something completely different about the Chinese tourist and also the way they are given carte blanche to do what they do. Perhaps you haven’t experienced it yet, but one or two flights shared with a Chinese tour group or turning up at a site at the same time as a Chinese tour group might change your mind.

Not to mention bed bugs. Avoid hotels they stay at.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]
Not to mention bed bugs. Avoid hotels they stay at.[/quote]
That’s what they say about blacks too…and then some. :unamused:

Guys you are talking about people. All the crap you spew, you can just take out Chinese, and put in Indian, Blacks or Latinos and someone’s said it. You are talking about REAL people, remember when you know better, you do better. Phew!! Continue the hate spreading, those filthy Chinese commies and us great pissing on dead Afghani people - we are so much better. :unamused:

[quote=“divea”][quote=“Charlie Phillips”]

Guys you are talking about people. All the crap you spew, you can just take out Chinese, and put in Indian, Blacks or Latinos and someone’s said it. You are talking about REAL people, remember when you know better, you do better. Phew!! Continue the hate spreading, those filthy Chinese commies and us great pissing on dead Afghani people - we are so much better. :unamused:[/quote]

You extrapolate too much. There’s good and bad in everyone, and then there’s just plain low class. I reserve my right to discriminate against low class behavior, the same way as I reserve my right to discriminate between a good Chinese restaurant and the kind that serves up weevily rice with rotten meat and bad condiments.

Taiwan and the rest of the world should concentrate on the quality of the tourist, not the quantity. I don’t care what color or creed, but the behavior of the Chinese tour groups I’ve encountered leaves much to be desired.

Charlie is absolutely right. It only takes one experience of seeing/hearing the Chinese tourists to understand.

Taiwan has a lot to offer and could entice tourists from all over world in much larger numbers. There really is no reason to settle and put up with the rude selfish behavior from Chinese tourists. Enough with the silly political connectedness. Yes, there are hicks everywhere, but this doesn’t change the fact that right now there are droves of selfish Chinese hicks coming to Taiwan and pissing (I mean that metaphorically) on it’s treasures.

The light of awareness should be pointed at their actions. This is the only way that change can start. This irrational fear of being politically incorrect is just a way of hiding our heads in the sand and ignoring problems that shouldn’t be ignored.

Just the sheer numbers of these people who have never travelled before and bring their somewhat rough edged behavior with them causes the problem.
Go to Alishan and listen to them shouting their way around the whole forest and smoking too. Not exactly tranquil.
Go to Taroko gorge and it’s just bus after bus , hundreds of them. That’s messing up the experience for lone travellers.
Just like the Brits and Germans and others in Spain or the Danish in Austria, they have a deserved reputation.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Just the sheer numbers of these people who have never travelled before and bring their somewhat rough edged behavior with them causes the problem.
Go to Alishan and listen to them shouting their way around the whole forest and smoking too. Not exactly tranquil.
Go to Taroko gorge and it’s just bus after bus , hundreds of them. That’s messing up the experience for lone travellers.
Just like the Brits and Germans and others in Spain or the Danish in Austria, they have a deserved reputation.[/quote]

You have a point there. Go look at the behavior of Brit holidaymakers in Europe (Ibiza, Corfu etc). At least these plant-defacing mainlanders aren’t going to vomit on you or punch you in the face for “giving them a look.”

Anyway these mainlanders (unsophisticated people with money) are exactly the type of people the Taiwan Tourism Bureau wants to visit Taiwan. So, the blame rests squarely with the responsible government organ. It feels so good to say that, that I’m going to say it again. Government organ.

er … you what now? The average Chinese tourist isn’t huddled in a hurricane shelter, all vulnerable like. As someone else just said, Brits get called out for being aggressive drunks abroad in Europe, and rightly so. They’re a disgrace to their country and to the human race. We don’t need to tiptoe around Chinese sensibilities just because China is rich and “developing” now. The problem is that Chinese people don’t react well to shame; instead of seeing it as a broadly positive emotion (an opportunity to fix something you rightly feel bad about) they lash out and blame others for causing them to lose face. You would assume there is some alternative mechanism, and that Taiwanese people would know how that operates, but apparently not:

Louts are louts, and it’s a pity the curators can’t be issued with tranquilliser guns.

Unfortunately monkey is probably right. Money is money. The turgid government organ doesn’t care if someone else has to clean up the mess.

Let me put it this way: the more contact develops between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait–the more mutual ignorance and misunderstanding fade away, and people get to know each other and share their ideas–the more Taiwan consciousness will spread (even among supposed “mainlanders”) as people here realize that they have nothing in common with people there, don’t like them, don’t trust them, etc.

Unfortunately that isn’t necessarily true. Research shows that when such interactions are positive, or when they can be arranged so that opposing factions work together to achieve some common good, misunderstandings and stereotypes do indeed fade away. When those interactions are negative and antagonistic, the outcome is increased hostility.

While I have noticed that the mainlanders that visit Taiwan tend to be obnoxiously loud and insensitive about anything around them, a previous poster put it rightly when he pointed out the demographic of these mainlanders. [u]Rich with no sense of class.

A lot of these tourists made their money when China was growing many years ago. They were low class before they got the money, and the easy riches didn’t magically give them any class either.

That said, this is a specific demographic that we see in Taiwan, and it doesn’t make sense to tar them all with the same brush. I know Mainlanders from both sides of the equation, some that are classy and very intelligent and are disgusted by the low class behavior of some of their countrymen, and I also know some rich Mainlanders personally that may be rich but are low class and I am embarrassed to be around them.

I just find it a bit sad about an article like this that makes it seem that everyone from PRC is low class is all.

What should happen is their tour guide and tour leader should make PSA on their tour bus about where they’re going, what they can and cannot do there, flash or no flash, where the restrooms are, what time to meet back at the bus, etc.

When my mom was a tour leader back in the 80s, she had to reiterate that you shower inside the bathtubs at the hotels, not outside. And no, bath robes and ashtrays are for you to use inside the hotel room, not to wear it downstairs to breakfast or to be brought home in your luggage. And, the cute little teaspoons on the airplane belong to the airline, not in your purse!

People have no issue with criticising British, Australian, American tourists when they’re acting out, and rightly so. There’s no reason people shouldn’t do the same with Chinese tourists. Chinese tour groups were different in kind to Taiwanese, Singaporean, Korean, Japanese tour groups I saw in Southeast Asia. People from those other nations managed to act with some decorum wherever they went. At Angkor Wat, there are signs not to stand on the monuments. One woman was standing on one for a photo and I told her not to and pointed to a sign and she completely ignored me. There’s one point where you can take a photo and it looks like your nose is touching a Buddha’s nose. People were taking photos of their friends kissing there. I started shouting at them in Chinese and they all laughed, thinking it was all a bit of fun. The groups were generally noisy and disrespectful. Let’s flip this around. Imagine if anyone did any of that stuff, or wrote on the walls, at Mao’s tomb. You’d be lucky not to be lynched, and if you didn’t get lynched, you’d certainly be arrested.

Like I said, I’m not hating, just pointing out an article/story that is relevant to you guys living over there.

I personally won’t travel to Thailand anymore (or at least specific areas) because of the drunken louts (not Chinese) and filthy old sex tourists (not Chinese).

When I’m in South Africa I avoid going to touristy destinations in season because the sheer amount of people ruins the experience.

Maybe I’m just a grumpy man.

I agree with the previous posters who say that Chinese are as bad as Americans, Brits and Australians . . . and that Baas is just a grumpy old man. :neutral:

I thought Divea ended this thread a page ago.

This is Taiwan. If crowds of drunken lout corpse-pissing Afghani sex tourists appear here, then there’ll be a thread on it for sure. Until then, we’ll have to go with what we have. :2cents:

All those up-in-arms should be forced to spend a day hanging out at Water Running Up, Taidong. You won’t be allowed to leave and go into Dulan, but we will bring you a noon bian-dang.

The place is an insane overload into the world of the Chinese tour group. Multiplied by 10 or 20, as coaches often seem to arrive en masse.
I found it quite hellish. So I’m sure did the quieter members of the coach parties.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“Charlie Phillips”]

Guys you are talking about people. All the crap you spew, you can just take out Chinese, and put in Indian, Blacks or Latinos and someone’s said it. You are talking about REAL people, remember when you know better, you do better. Phew!! Continue the hate spreading, those filthy Chinese commies and us great pissing on dead Afghani people - we are so much better. :unamused:[/quote]

Yeah, you should never invoke stereotypes, even if they are true. Bleeding hearts shall be broken :brokenheart: