Mainland Chinese yearn to marry foreigners

Are you more intrested in marrying someone outside your race?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

Marriage

Intresting article…Thoughts anyone?

I’m interested in knowing the age group of the “10,381 people questioned”. For some reason, I can’t see it being elderly Chinese people. :idunno:

I was very surprised by this number until I realised that about 50% of North American marriages end in divorce. Personally, there isn’t much difference between 50% and 60%.

Can someone explain the title of this thread?

ahem.

As for the question, I was never much interested in marrying anyone…it just happened, and it’s fine by me. And she is a member of the human race, so I don’t know if I qualify to answer…crap :frowning:

It was orginally “Chinese yearn to marry foriegners” as it is in the Yahoo! article but it was changed by one of the mods. You will have to direct it to them…

It was orginally “Chinese yearn to marry foriegners” as it is in the Yahoo! article but it was changed by one of the mods. You will have to direct it to them…[/quote]
I added the word “mainland” to reflect the poll, which does not make any assertions about the yearnings of Chinese in other countries.

Ah I see. I would not be surprised if secretly 100% of PRC citizens wouldn’t mind getting out of China at some point in the future. Even the ones making a lot of money there. Make some loot, then bugger off to the West to retire. Makes perfect sense to me.

I think it’s a bit vague the title, as it’s not clear whether ABCs etc or Chinese who have “escaped” and now have foreign passports are included. Presumably the original article is just as vague - this is the sort of filler topic journos write about when the deadline approaches and they’ve got no copy. The other one is “People in the Chinese Interior Really Poor Shocker”.

I have always enjoyed the one about inter-racial or inter-cultural marriages having high divorce rates. Anyone seen the Chinese, Taiwanese, US, or UK divorce rates recently? Astronomical.

A high divorce rate…or divorce in general, has less to do with cultural differences than clashes of personality. Also people aren’t willing to sort out their problems and work things out anymore. Easier to just get divorced and find someone new. One wonders why we bother to get married in the first place. It’s so damn expensive. Better to just shack up together…

As far as marrying a local (Taiwanese)? I’d be far more willing to do that than to marry a girl back home. I’ve fallen head over heels for Chinese women since I moved here.

Good point. Other than religious and joint tax/insurance reasons, or to start a family, or to get a green card, are there any compelling reasons to get married?

Most guys enter the “union” because they reckon they’re gonna get regular sex. It aint long before they realise they’re up to once a week on friday nights with the lights off - and horror of horrors - only in the missionary position.

I suppose if you really met “the right person” (whoever the hell that is if such a thing even exists :loco: ) then sure, take the plunge.

But I think there are worse things than being lonely.

I wonder… what’s the divorce ratio for Taiwanese women and foreign men. You’ll find a few Taiwanese-Foreign marraiges among the ragular posters, but does anyone know how many of those fail?

This poll is racist.

So they want to marry foreigners, huh? When are we going to see some accurate poll data on the number of mainland women who want to have a hot, no strings attached sexual relationship with married foreign men?

I just know my wife is going to read this post.

My original poll included the opition of ‘if it happens, it happens’, as there are no clear cut ways/feelings about such. I guess something must have been done wrong when i was adding the opition because of course it didn’t go up…

TC, care to elaborate as to why you think this is a racist poll?

[quote=“Jive Turkey”]So they want to marry foreigners, huh? When are we going to see some accurate poll data on the number of mainland women who want to have a hot, no strings attached sexual relationship with married foreign men?

I just know my wife is going to read this post.
[/quote]

I’ve got an old Reuters press pass and a clip board. Got any leave coming up?

I’m actually quite surprised by the results of the poll, but maybe I shouldn’t be. I mean, when I was living in Canada, I had my thoughts on Asian girls but never considered marrying a Korean or Chinese gal. :noway:

However, now that I have been in Asia for almost 4 years, I am probably leaning toward an Asian girl for marriage. It’s crazy though, when you consider all the language and cultural barriers, not to mention they (or you) can’t relate to the things either of you hold dear in your memory from the days of your youth.

Two completely different worlds, yet as adults, both us and them are willing to take a chance at marriage. Crazy when you REALLY think about it. :sunglasses:

not really, most of my cultural traits are from tv shows i watched in the 80s, so its ok, I am just gonna teach my gf english, than have her watch growing pains, family ties, Mcguyver, smurfs, flintstones, jetsons, transformers, GI Joe, care bears, My Pet Monster, Moon Lighting, Remingston Steele, Mission IMpossible, A-Team and SCTV (gotta have some Canadian laughs :slight_smile: ) oh and living colour, madtv and SNL as well as some politically incorrect. Thank god for bit torrents and 250GB HDDs

:slight_smile:

p.s. forgot facts of life, thundercats, threes company, boy meets world, degrassi (the original series), and…ya…oh Astro Boy,

edited: silly me, i forgot Knight Rider

Trust me, she’s seen McGuyver. :laughing:

Do mainland Chinese yearn to marry foriegners? I once stumbled upon an online personal website dedicated to mainland Chinese women seeking foreign husbands (or was it the other way around - Western men seeking a potential wife from mainland China…?) and broke a few ribs from laughing so hard. Aside from the incredibly silly users’ handles and the air-brushed, professionally retouched glamor photos, there is a “place in shopping cart” button under each profile for you to click if you see something that you like!

I’m not sure what to call it - hilarious or tragic? :astonished:

Do you have a link for said website? :smiling_imp: