"Mainland"? Which Mainland?

Ok then. I won’t use an app that is complacent with censorship.

Are we here learning propaganda or Chinese?

Why should this country receive disrespect? Especially since they not only won’t give an inch, but not even a millimetre. Why should Taiwan budge?

I live in the country of Taiwan, I am going to speak like I live in the country of Taiwan cause I live in the country of Taiwan.

I speak the exact same way I would if I was in Canada. If I was on Vancouver Island I would call Vancouver on the Canadian Mainland too.

4 Likes

Why not get more in a hot flush that the baseball league is still called the “Chinese Baseball League " or the national airline is still called "China Airlines ? Or about a billion other things, than turning this into a political discussion. I’m sure it’s something they have considered

The guy is just introducing his app

Or why don’t you go and picket restaurants for selling 大陸妹

4 Likes

How convenient that we ignore the guns held to the heads of Taiwan and its people.

I’m sure if a gun was held to your head you’d act differently too under duress.

It’s called duress.

And I’m providing feedback. I live in Taiwan and genuinely wanted to know what mainland means. If it means Mainland Taiwan, then I’m confused where the difference is cause there is no other mainland here.

I don’t support them with my money. And I won’t support a platform that suggests Taiwan is part of the People’s Republic of China. If a platform or restaurant is willing to take feedback, I shall leave feedback. And I do leave feedback all the time to various businesses.

I buy from DHL. DHL says Taiwan is a country.

I don’t spend my money at UPS. UPS says Taiwan is part of China.

I’ve been on a year long fight with Ebay because their Global Shipping Programme is changing my address to Province of China. I reject purchases that miswrite my address.

Miswriting my address is offensive.

2 Likes

The people of Taiwan are eternally grateful to you.

But the guy just wants to introduce his app

6 Likes

In business, that’s not an excuse to fail to take into account 23 million people.

If you want to market a product, the customer is always right.

He’s received valuable feedback. Many of us love this country and have made it our homes and are proud of this country and its accomplishments, despite its problems.

If he wants to do the Google model, that is, to code in the app changes based on location settings, that’s fine by me, but I won’t support an app that censors things in favour of China.

Would you say the same if it was British Indian English?

Or Confederate English?

He just wants to introduce his app.

@Fuzzy_Barbecue Would Pakistani people take kindly to an app that represented Urdu as Hindi or otherwise of India?

It is not unreasonable to request businesses respect our sensitivities.

2 Likes

If a company wanted to use a Confederate flag to denote the English language in an app, I would wish them the the best for what is a very bizarre business decision and then get on with my Saturday.

3 Likes

I only inquired about the services and left feedback upon clarification. You’re the one dragging this on.

Yes, and learners of Chinese across the globe should not be dragged into politics through the app. We deal with enough shit materials that emphasize the superiority of China over America (and the lack of a presence of any other countries on Earth) with every textbook and learning material except the garbage published by 台師大. There is one China: The People’s Republic of China. People also speak Mandarin Chinese in Taiwan. If you’re going to make an app that emphasizes dialects, for the sake of Chinese language learners, identify the main two dialects in a way that makes sense.

1 Like

I mean Taiwan is officially named the Republic of China. If you are going to get angsty here

The official line is that the Republic of China (Taiwan)and that it is politically separate from the People’s Republic of China. That is the Taiwan consensus that Tsai stated last year at 10/10

Look everyone understands what you are saying. There are just bigger and more important battles to fight. Foreigners, like those on Twitter, get on these weird crusades for things that most Taiwanese don’t care about.

3 Likes

Under duress in one way or another.

I maybe spent 2 minutes total writing my replies to OP.

Except there’s zero misunderstanding. Just people expressing their dislike of a dose of politicization with their language learning.

4 Likes

And censorship.

2 Likes

I don’t think you have the authority or domain knowledge to say that. The ROC is Taiwan and Taiwan is the ROC is the mainstream position here and the position of the DPP. Unless you know more than them

4 Likes

I must’ve missed the day when they declared that you were able to and had the authority to determine who I am, who I know, what I am allowed to speak about and what knowledge I have.

It is unnecessary to be personal.

Funny. All the DPP people I talk to must be lying.

I’m sure every DPP member is hard in the pants every time they call themselves the ‘Republic of China’

It’s what they always wanted. It was what President Chen fought so hard for when he renamed the post office.

All these Taiwanese people vehemently telling me they’re Republic of Chinaers. When they say they’re Taiwanese, not Chinese. That’s for shits and giggles to confuse the foreigners.

Chen Shui Bian isn’t the president, Tsai is and this is her position and most of society supported her for making it last year. Her approval rating went up.

1 Like

Yes. Like I said. I am sure without the China threat, the DPP will be absolutely thrilled to call themselves the ROC. Just absolutely itching to tell everyone they are Roccers

:rofl:

Do you really think the DPP WANT to say they are ROC?

Is this their final goal?

I don’t think most people give a fuck mate. It’s mostly Turtonesque foreigners on Twitter and elsewhere and a few deep greens at the fringe. People celebrated her for making a compromise so that everyone can get on with other things.

And that Is kind of the point, foreigners going out of their way to show they are more Taiwanese than Taiwanese by freaking out at small issues. There is a better way of communicating

2 Likes

That is your opinion and I acknowledge your opinion.

Doubt.

There is no compromise with China. We want to live our lives and we want to be Taiwan. We are Taiwan.

I have not freaked out. Please do not introduce falsehoods.

I am not attempting to show I am somehow ‘More Taiwanese’ than the locals. I grew up in Canada. The country of Canada. I only use the same logic as I have always used.

I don’t know how much better it gets from respectfully using my words like an adult.

I asked what he meant by mainland. Not a big deal.

I mean it’s not just an opinion, Tsai has embraced the ROC flag and stuff and the party has done the same with the ROC name, and their approval ratings went up. People congratulated her for it. I’m not sure how much news you follow in Taiwan.

You knew and know exactly what he meant by mainland. I’m not playing this tedious game anymore

4 Likes

I have autism and even I know not to take everyone at face value.

Being pragmatic for the time being is a thing.

It is duress.

If the China threat didn’t exist. Would they still bang the same drum?

Please quit making it personal

I am telling you the truth. Mainland to me means the island of Taiwan as it is most of the country.

Now please quit making it personal.

If you think Mainland means China. That is on you.