Just a change of the times

1 Like

It was never neutral.

2 Likes

Bullshit.

:cow2: :poop:

Yes it was

內地 was political

大陸 was what people said to avoid the subject or not show their political bias.

That’s changed in the last decade

1 Like

Well you are wrong. Loads of people say Da Lu without making a political statement

2 Likes

Someone needs to inform the government that they’re doing it all wrong:

https://www.mac.gov.tw/en/

Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

https://www.mjib.gov.tw/eBooks/eBooks_Detail?CID=9

Additional Articles of the Constitution of the Republic of China, Article 11

“Parcels | Mainland China Parcel Post,” from the website of Chunghwa Post

1 Like

Yes, that is from the KMT days. The Taiwanese and DPP would love to scrap that as soon as possible. It’s kept under duress.

1 Like

What does “free area” mean in this context?

The parts Taiwan controls.

I don’t know if I can define it, but I guess I can give an example:

Ian Rowen, “Inside Taiwan’s Sunflower Movement: Twenty-Four Days in a Student-Occupied Parliament, and the Future of the Region,” Journal of Asian Studies, Volume 74, Issue 1, February 26, 2015

It appears to me that, in effect, those young people brought down the government.

Yeah, the name of that act occurred to me as well, but I didn’t want to get involved. :sweat_smile: (Though obviously the language in the act was carefully chosen to be the least amount of objectionable to both sides.)

I’ve also had at least two government people (I don’t remember whether it was immigration or the NDC, or both - it was a couple of years ago now) “correct” me when I said “China” and use “mainland” or “mainland area” in their next sentence instead. This was in English of course, and in a private conversation rather than something where they needed to be politically cautious to protect the sensitivities of any Chinese people listening. It struck me as quite weird at the time.

But if it offends Forumosa, I guess Forumosa is right. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

That Wang guy sounds like a dick.

edit: After reading more about it. Everyone involved is a dick.

You are stuck in the Chen era.

The DPP have stopped changing the names of things, because it’s deeply unpopular and divisive

No I’m not. Independence and unification are still issues.

China is still there.

They don’t want to keep these names if they could help it. It’s only there under duress.

I just think you need to spend more time understanding the history of Taiwan and the emergence of Taiwanese identity. Especially before needlessly pushing an agenda with people

Taiwanization has been a process. As my Anthro prof her said “Taiwan is a Chinese society that became a Taiwanese one”. It’s not about the “duress” you keep repeating, part of it is, but that’s overly simplistic and reductive and not representative

The reason that the DPP have moved into the middle and embraced the ROC, is that it’s a popular move and a vote-winner. I know that clashes with your view, but that’s how things be

2 Likes

Haven’t we been through this, at least 4 times?

3 Likes

You’re right. Fixed.

There’s a political and a religious angle to it. It’s often perceived by either-side that “Hindi” is for Indians/Hindus, while “Urdu” is for Pakistanis/Muslims. I personally don’t mind but I bet a majority wouldn’t be pleased for these two words to be used interchangeably. Even though both languages are virtually similar (at least in spoken).

1 Like