Maintenance costs

I’m getting ready to go in to get more maintenance done on my scooter than my usual oil change, but don’t have a regular mechanic I feel I can trust. If I want to change my brakes, get new tires and a new battery how much will this cost? Are front and rear brakes and tires the same or different price? Sorry if this has been answered. My search didn’t pull anything relevant up. Thanks.

Hard to say. You should get some decent tyres for around a thousand NT each. I suggest the top-of-the range Maxxis (Maxxis make a few different lines so make sure you get the good ones.)

I don’t know what you want done to your brakes. New drum brakes aren’t too much – a few hundred IIRC. But you’d want to get the brake cable lubricated or changed as well. Renovating disc brakes can involve a few different things such as getting a new master cylinder or brake lines, changing the fluid, new pads, etc.

Best thing is to take your bike to someone like Eric and asking him to give you an estimate.
Eric’s details are here:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 903#430903
And X08 recommended an alternative mechanic:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 308#505308

Chances are you should be doing some other routine maintenance as well such as spark plug, air filter, oil filter, transmission fluid etc. If you want the mechanic to do this stuff then ask him/her specifically. It’s cheap and well worth it. Have a look at the Scooter Maintenance Intervals thread:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=46388

question you are suppose to change the spark plug every 6k km and transmission fluid every 5k km, my scooter is 18xxx km now and the shop never changed my spark plug, transmission fluid only changed once I think it was around 10k km but not sure, last time I went for an oil change I asked if I should do any other maintenance they just said oil change is pretty much all I need. when scooter was around 12k km the belt snapped! I went back and ask how often are you suppose to change the belt he said 10k, and he said car was running fine so he didn’t tell me, he pretty much mean when the car have probelm just go to him and he will fix it, I think that’s pretty bad

anyways I guess I shoudl change the tranny fluid asap? it’s been 8k km or more, as for the spark plug the car seems to be running ok…transmission seems ok too so I guess car is ok but just get those done asap?

This is pretty much standard operating procedure for locals. They don’t do maintenance; they do repair. If you want your bike to last a while, don’t be like them. I’m sure the scooter shop is just echoing the wishes of his customers.

If you want it to last, do at least a couple things. First, ask around and see if you can find a decent shop close to you. As you may have noticed, there are a lot of them. They can’t all suck. I’ve been lucky enough to have found two. Then, you have to tell them when you want something done. They don’t really pay attention to maintenance intervals. I got a copy of the owners manual with my Yamaha and got someone to translate it. Try to do the same. The factory has a much better idea of what needs to be done than Ah Huang.

Scooters really don’t need much maintenance, but you do need to do some stuff. Those are covered in the thread that joesax linked to. My Yamaha calls for oil changes at 1000 km and transmission oil change at 2500, so I just do that every other oil change. And yes, it is time for a new sparking plug.

I recommend the Maxxis M6029 tyres. They’re a bit sporty, but they get better mileage (last longer) than the Metzelers I ran before. Sporty means they not only grip well, but they also help braking, which is a good idea on this island. I don’t remember how much my front brakes were, but they’re dirt cheap compared to a real motorcycle or a car. They add a great deal of safety for the small price they cost. And get a tire pressure gauge and use it once a week or more.

Good luck

hey man that is some good advice, well today I went and did a major maintenance, changed the tranny fluid the bike is 20,000 km and last time I changed it was 10,000 I think, anyways the fluid was very dark shop owner added lub and told me to go back and change the tranny fluid again in 100km, costed me 160NTD, changed the air filter 300 bucks, changed the belt 950, changed the spark plug 250 bucks, he said that as long the car feels fine you don’t need to change it??? such BS maybe that’s why I got such poor milage, i get like 32km/liter, but I full throttle it all the time I go like 80to110km/h. front brake was gone he replaced it 450 bucks.

for all the parts I used original symco parts, kinda expensive but I guess symco parts are good? or is there any parts that I can use substitute parts and is still ok?

for the oil filter he said it’s metal filter and no need to change it and no need to clean it…is it true? it’s been 20,000 KM now should you clean it? or inspect it he never checked it.

[quote]But you’d want to get the brake cable lubricated or changed as well. Renovating disc brakes can involve a few different things such as getting a new master cylinder or brake lines, changing the fluid, new pads, etc.[/quote]I think replacing the master cylinder and the line fall under repairs, not maintenance. Changing the fluid, however, will make a difference in the lifespan of both the caliper and the master cylinder.

Ironfist, your mechanic is EXPENSIVE! A NGK spark plug can be had for about NT$100 in most shops and they put it in for that price. You paid NT$250! A tranny oil change costs NT$50 in EVERY shop. You paid NT$160! The belt was also slightly expensive and the air filter was over-priced by at least NT$100.

First thing you need to do is find a new mechanic and then you’ll have more than enough spare change to buy me a beer. :wink:

marboulette

how often should I change the brake fluid?

well I don’t know any of the parts price so I guess I got ripped off, time for a new mechanic.

Every two years for the brake fluid. It attracts water, and water keeps the front brake from working as well as it could. My safety-oriented club recommends replacing the brake line/hose every four years. The rubber gets soft, and the brakes don’t work as well. I just had a stainless steel line put on my scooter, and that makes a big difference. It brakes much better now.

You say you’re getting 75 miles per gallon? How much better do you want? You’re riding hell for leather; I wouldn’t worry about gas mileage. That’s one of the reasons I’ve never checked it in any of the vehicles I’ve owned :slight_smile:

Most scooters don’t have an oil filter. They’re just drain and refill. Even my Honda CBR150 is like that. And generally, your mechanic is correct about the spark plug. Most of the time they get replaced when the bike is running poorly. That said, I change mine every couple years. They’re cheap.

[quote=“ironfist”]how often should I change the brake fluid?

well I don’t know any of the parts price so I guess I got ripped off, time for a new mechanic.[/quote]

I bleed the brake fluid in all my motorcycles every 6 months, somtimes sooner. This gets any unwanted air bubbles out of the brake line. This usually makes a big difference in the braking performance/response. When you bleed you will also need to add more fluid. It is so easy, takes 5/10 min if you know what you are doing. It helps to have a friend help you pump the lever too.

how much for the stainless steel line? thanks

I am pretty sure they cost about $800nt-$1000nt (maybe a little more). I forget exactly.

[quote]I just had a stainless steel line put on my scooter, and that makes a big difference. It brakes much better now. [/quote]Really? Can you really feel a significant difference? Anyone else using steel braided lines? I’m really curious because the cost seems rather small if it really improves breaking significantly.

marboulette

The stock brake line is rubber and will expand, especially when your brakes are hot. If your stock rubber starts to expand that means less brake fluid will be making pressure, which means your caliper won’t perform as well. With a stainless steel line it won’t expand, so even at hot temperatures your brake line will be performing at its best. If you are running your brakes hard then a stainless steal line will significantly improve your braking.

In my time racing, I have seen some stainless steel lines break, while I have never seen a stock rubber line break. There are some racers that don’t use them just for this reason. I have always been happy with the results of a stainless steel line. All my motorcycles/scoots have them. They are cheap and easy to install. Also they look way nicer than a stock brake line. :slight_smile:

Alright. That’s enough to convince me. Next time I make it to the DIY shop where I buy parts, I’ll pick one up. My break line is 9 years old, and I’m way overdue for a break fluid change. Might as well get it all done at the same time.

Thank, rk. :slight_smile:

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]Alright. That’s enough to convince me. Next time I make it to the DIY shop where I buy parts, I’ll pick one up. My break line is 9 years old, and I’m way overdue for a break fluid change. Might as well get it all done at the same time.

Thank, rk. :slight_smile:

marboulette[/quote]

No prob. With a fluid change and a new stainless steel line, you won’t be dissappointed.

[quote=“marboulette”][quote]I just had a stainless steel line put on my scooter, and that makes a big difference. It brakes much better now. [/quote]Really? Can you really feel a significant difference? Anyone else using steel braided lines? I’m really curious because the cost seems rather small if it really improves breaking significantly.

marboulette[/quote]
It improved the braking on my friend’s Yelang. And it seemed to help things on my BWS as well, though I did do a complete overhaul at the same time so it’s hard to tell how much of the improvement was due to the new brakeline.

I suppose there are many approaches to maintenance, but for me, I do the regular oil change stuff at my regular mechanic that I have used for several years. He not only changes the oil but adjusts the brakes and checks all the lights, oils all the moveable parts and gives advice on other items as needed. This happens about quarterly. Once a year it goes in for a complete makeover. Annually, he repairs or replaces any dinged up plastic, mirrors, brake grips and the like. He strips the plastic and changes all filters and checks for any undue tire and brake wear. In other words, a complete review. My 150 SYM has over 30,000 km and still turns heads at stop lights. It look like it just came off the showroom. My 125 Kymco, presently being driven by my S.O.'s daughter is the same and it was bought new in 1996. It looks and runs like new. I would take either bike on an around the island tour tomorrow with no hesitations.
My point is, find a good mechanic that won’t cheat you and keep it well maintained. You won’t regret it and it really is not that expensive. Compare that to the idiots you see trying to hand grind a start from a POS at the MRT station. When I see a young girl out there trying to get her ride to start and the battery is dead, the lights don’t work and parts are taped on, I just cringe. Imagine sending your wife or daughter out on such a piece of crap.

hi guys when the brake is making noise what could be the problem? my front brake have been making some noise, I changed out the pads and they cleaned the rotor and it still making noise. well it’s been 2 years and 20k km and I havn’t change the brake fluid…maybe that’s the noise?

Brake fluid isn’t causing any noise. You’re going to have to stick your head down there and figure out where the noise is coming from before anyone can help you. First of all, do you have drum or disc brakes? Then you’re going to have to describe the sound, and say at which point it usually happens.

If disc, the pads may be just lightly rubbing the rotor. That’s normal with all disc brakes.

If the sound is only when you apply light pressure, it may be because your rotor/disc is slightly out of round. This is also normal, and doesn’t require anything, if you can live with it.

Your rotor may be shot and in need of replacement.

Be more specific and someone might be able to suggest something. You might be best off finding someone to help you explain your problem to a scooter shop guy.

Yeah please tell us what kind of noise you are hearing. Is is a screeching sound? Sounds to me like your rotor might be done for.