Major Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ

I don’t think it’s an example of a law enacted to protect Muslims.

Last I checked, saying Mohammad married a child bride is accurate from both Islamic sources and secular sources. That’s blasphemy now I guess. It’s the way it’s applied that’s ridiculous.

I don’t get your point. I think it’s an absolute farce of a law, don’t get me wrong. But it does not seem to be an example of a law with any particular application towards Muslims.

1 Like

Obviously how the law can be applied matters.

How the law can be applied? I don’t see what you’re getting at.

1 Like

The valid point here , IMO, is the disparity in reaction. ALL Terrorism is just as bad . Here was a FB post from an individual ( Miss Kennedy)

"Everyone on 4 chan and 8 chan should be on a Terror list. Every single incel. I couldn’t give a single shit about their "freedom of speech ".
Harsh? I don’t care. I am raging that white radicalisation is being ignored and allowed to flourish . Enough. "

This is as stupid as saying everyone who attended the same Mosque as the Manchester bomber , sshould be on a Terror list. Do the Left see the rank hypocrisy every time this happens? The lack of self-awareness is staggering.

2 Likes

How a law can be applied and the reach of the law is part of the law. Laws, however well written do need interpretation. And the reach and application of the laws are often set by precedents from previous rulings. Granted it was a bad law to began with but now we see it being able to applied to even factual statements like Mohammad married his wife when she was a child. I do not believe it’s within the spirit of the law to include that.

I agree that’s stupid, but that’s one person.

People have said just as bad about Muslims. One person, oh let’s call him the President of the United States, even suggested an entry ban on most Muslim countries at one point. Instead of everyone at the same mosque, he’s blaming everyone in the same country! So it’s much worse actually. And that’s the leader of the free world, not some rando on social media.

1 Like

No < i hear where you are coming from but I was under the impression that even that Trump initial opinion , was based upon the intel taken on advice from Obama time ? As everything , the facts can be distorted by emotions.

The lack of self awareness with Emma Kennedy is staggering. That doesn’t apply to “the Left” (assuming she is the Left).

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that outlandish to place restrictions on citizens of certain countries. The ban and restrictions include countries with terrorist problems in general like NK. When a country’s leader like in Iran openly says death to America, it’s not a bad idea to screen people there a bit harder. Plenty of countries do this for other countries to varying degrees. To me it seems to be more about that country than being Muslim. Not to mention the list of countries he put restrictions on are from the Obama administration.

I think to suggest there is not a legitimate debate to the extent to which a person has free speech and when prohibitions by the law become authoritarian or totalitarian in nature is a fair and often discussed point.

If you are not allowed to speak the truth. An observable and objective and undeniable truth without being prosecuted, fired from your job or banned lets say for example from sport. I would argue that point has been crossed.

In the case @Andrew0409 talks about I can see both sides. On the one hand Aisha was very young when she married and consummated, hence the claim of pedophilia. On the other this happened over a thousand years ago, the social norms were very different and to label the most respected person within a religion with what in the 21st century as a slur and crime (which wasn’t then), constitutes a deliberate attempt to incite and inflame people. i.e. there could have been other ways to say the same thing.

This is the offending speech from a article I found.

“A 56-year-old and a six-year-old? What do we call it, if it is not pedophilia?”

It seems like a pretty fair thing to ask in an academic setting, which it was. The lecture was about basic knowledge of Islam, of which she correct said Mohammad married a child and had sex with the child.

This information is from a hadith Bukhari, and contradicts the timeline suggested by other hadiths, which would make Ayesha about 20 years old at marriage.

When Mohammed married Aisha it wasn’t normal for the society at the time. He sought blessings/permission from elders.

1 Like

So which Hadith is the correct one?

It was standard back then.

That wasn’t the statement.

I agree. It seems to me if you have a blasphemy law, this might be the kind of result you’ll get from it.

I quoted the offending statement. Is it incorrect? I checked and it seems to be the one.

These seem to be the statements:

In one of her seminars, Mrs S is reported to have said: “A 56-year-old and a six-year-old? What do we call it, if it is not paedophilia?”
She also said Mohammed “liked to do it with children”.