Major Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ

Okay.

It turns out that guy didn’t actually shoot back. It seems like the terrorist dropped a gun and went back to his car to get more. Then this man grabbed the dropped gun, chased him outside with it, and then hurled it through his back window. The terrorist thought he was being shot at, and he fled the scene.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: OT from Major Mosque shooting

A post was merged into an existing topic: OT from Major Mosque shooting

If the people of New Zealand move towards banning semi-automatic weapons like they were gonna do back in 2009, before the NSA pushed to have it overturned, then perhaps things like this wouldn’t happen again, at least not with this kind of fatalities.

Australia’s Port Arthur trajedy got the country together. Perhaps New Zealand would do the same.

5 Likes

Here is their crowdfunding page if anyone is interested in helping out. There’s a few others but this seems to be the main one.

So are they banning most guns because even a 9mm pistol is semi-automatic.

Good, ban them

2 Likes

If the whole point of having these weapons is for hunting, like so many people claim when arguing for a loose gun law, in what situation do you really need these weapons for hunting?

I mean if you miss one shot, the animals would be scurrying away anyway, what’s the point of having 10 or 20 consecutive shots for hunting? They are only needed when fighting off a swarm of giant ants or tarantulas, or kill of bunch of people…

1 Like

You can shoot an animal while it is running away. I think you would get about 3 shots off if you are good.

With a bolt-action hunting rifle that is.

The people affected are complying.

1 Like

The few hardcore outdoorsmen I know have actually switched to a bow and arrow for hunting. Ups the challenge and interest level for them. So really, a good hunter hardly even needs a gun. Unless you’re shooting something fast and tiny like woodcock, I guess.

1 Like

I think some farmers in NZ use semi-automatics for pest control, rabbits and possums. That’s the only reason I can think of.

Terrible way to get them as rabbits and possums are super fast. They also have super hearing. They also have holes around that they can hide after surviving the first shot. I think it’s extremely expensive and ineffective killing those animals with a gun.

There are good CO2 powered possum traps that costs 200 dollars. There’s really not much you can do about rabbits in New Zealand… That’s why all their new trees have those green skirts around it.

I think people mostly hunt deer with their guns over there. Although they are also incredibly agile and usually really far away for you to take a second shot.

All that’s based on my single trip to New Zealand last year…

Deer are big as hell! They’re easy to hit. With big game like that, a bow and arrow should suffice for the true sportsman. :bow_and_arrow:

I don’t know if you’ve ever hunted, but small and fast mammals aren’t particularly tough targets, either. It’s fliers that you need a gun to hit.

Expect since rabbits have eaten all the saplings, most of New Zealand is deforested, and the deer can see you and smell you from miles away.

Geez those are some aggressive rabbits.

Well, at any rate, I support what NZ is doing.

What about pigs? Do they use semis for pigs over there? I guess if you have a wild pig charging you you might want a semi.

1 Like

Easy to hit… hard to kill. Humanely, at least. And exploding rounds are forbidden in many hunts.

Dunno how accurate the Math is but NZ is not even 5 million people, of which Muslims are barely a drop.

They simply could not handle burials for 50 people. Think of this: not enough people to dig 50 graves on time. No one expects to have 50 people gone in an instant. Plane or train crash, quakes or other devastaion may leave you with that awful number of casualties but having to dig 50 graves is still a task against time. Not to mention in thsi case 50 autopsies. 50 body repairs. 50 funerals. In a small town of a bit more of 300k.

2 Likes