Major Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ

It’s also upsetting because the bodies have to be processed as part of the investigation before they can be buried, and until then the grieving process for survivors is on hold.

I think Christchurch experienced a pretty devastating earthquake several years ago, something like 180 people died. These sorts of things traumatize a whole city. The repercussions will be felt for a long time.

It took 36 min for the police to arrive after the shooting starts. Seems like they would have been better off if they all had guns to me.

2 Likes

Again, people with training are needed. Civilians with guns against armor piercing rounds are not going to cut it.

The time to respond was not that long, just to secure perimeter and aprehend suspect. Even in a wartime situation, they cannot respond that fast, see cases in Pakistan, Afganistan, Nigeria, Irak.

More shocking is the fact that the video of the massacre took hours to pull down.

What’s not made clear in the headline is thankfully both father and son survived.

6 Likes

Not really. Think of how pervasive social media and live-streaming is nowadays. If you can truly scrub anything off the Internet nowadays, that’s impressive.

1 Like

Facebook did not stop the streaming soon enough and left the video up too long, so anyone could copy it. Now many NZ businesses are pulling ads out of FB and there is talk of having FB fined significantly by the NZ government.

It takes a few second to make copies. How fast should Facebook be?

2 Likes

As far as I am aware , one has to press the “play” button to view. I chose not too , just as everyone can.
I can only hope that the next atrocity is carried out using killer mosquitos and Mosquitos are eradicated Worldwide.
A sick individual …is a sick individual, life is about choices, at least that’s what many clamour for ; to try and ban information or the means that a crazy person may use to commit a crime is questionable. By all means anything inherently dangerous should be monitored and perhaps restricted. But banning , I am not sure is a solution. So many ways to kill if a crazy person wants to .

2 Likes

Seriously? That’s completely uncalled for.

3 Likes

the fuck

Thank you.

1 Like

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Dutch-police-Multiple-injuries-in-shooting-on-13696324.php

Not sure related but the NZ attack can spur on extremist individuals

More is sure to come.
It will get to a point where police will never be in time to protect us. As is the case now.

All able bodied should be trained and armed if and when it gets to that point where terrorattacks are daily

If many are armed there’s a chance to fight terror right where it starts.

One problem I see immediately though is when an event happens some who are armed may shoot other armed men thinking they are also terrorists. But who were not.

In can be confusing who is who.

So perhaps many who are able can be deputized and trained and know how to recognize the situation before firing.

It is clear if the good guys , at least some of them were armed then terrorists can be stopped sooner.

Police are at best minutes away…when seconds count.

Am I the only one who feels more of a need to be able to defend myself after these acts of violence? It seems completely bizarre to think people want to get rid of the means to defend themselves from bad guys that dont care about gun laws.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

You’ll feel the same waiting 36 mins for the police to arrive?

I don’t get it either. The good guys aren’t the ones shooting up a mosque. And guns will still flow to the bad guys no matter how many bans they put in place. Like the bad guys actually care about pesky things like laws.

4 Likes

Some terrorists are cowards. Without gun grabbers for cover baddies like this be easy to beat.

There aren’t really any “Indonesian” mosques here. The leaders tend to be ROC citizens, often waishengren, who in China would be called Hui min. You get all kinds of people on Friday. The Grand Mosque in Taipei was built mainly with Saudi money. Indonesians would be the largest group of Muslims here, but they can’t always get off on Friday, and anyway, not all of them are very religious.

The best way to defend yourself against extremism would be to visit one of those mosques and get to know some of the Muslims there.

2 Likes

sorry

1 Like

I hunt, and all your observations are kind of… well… not right.
First, for big game (deer, elk), the hunter typically has a “stand” where he/she waits long hours, often not even seeing the big game, and often in very cold weather. Then, to even have a chance, the animal for a scoped rifle has to be maybe within 200-250 yds for a regular hunter (not some SEAL sniper, most regular hunters cannot take into account wind speed, slope of hill, etc.), within 100yds for a slug shotgun shell, and maybe 30yds for a bow and arrow. It isn’t easy-peazy to say the least.
That’s just big game. Other not-so-easy situations for waterfowl and upland birds.
Squirrels might be easy if just sitting in tree.