Major Mosque shooting in Christchurch NZ

A post was split to a new topic: From major mosque shooting

Another one…

It’s just sad.

It’s so sad that people aren’t even trying to prevent the next mass shooting in the US… At least in New Zealand people can know they’ve done all they can to prevent hate crime of the same scale.

Not true.

Americans may not be doing exactly what you want, but that does not mean we’re doing nothing.

3 Likes

oh yeah, sorry I forgot about the thoughts and prayers.

3 Likes

Sure. I mean, we’re Americans. Thoughts and prayers will always be a part of what we do.

But I’m referring to more concrete actions. It’s simply not the case that we are doing nothing.

2 Likes

Why? “Thoughts and prayers” is a buzzword that has almost become synonymous with being disingenuous and empty. Keep it to the concrete actions. Stuff the thoughts and prayers. No one in the history of shootings has ever said “those thoughts and prayers really gave me comfort after escaping that spree killer who shot my friend and/or loved one.”

There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing both.

We do have a few Americans who are religious, after all. I realize that you are far, far above and in all aspects superior to people who find comfort in prayer and who think they can help by praying, but praying does no harm.

1 Like

Nowadays it seems to be an excuse not to take any actual action or engage in meaningful reflection.

You’re obviously a fan of Bojack Horseman. What did you think of this episode lampooning that exact empty platitude?
https://youtu.be/irejJm-Bkzk

I think it was written by and for people who think prayer is an empty and meaningless reflection, and who believe that prayer is synonymous with doing nothing.

I also think the writers have only superficial interest in solving the problem of mass gun violence in the US.

So I guess that’s your least favorite episode then, eh? I thought it was pretty spot on.

I think most rational people realize better mental health services coupled with stricter gun control is the proper route to preventing or at least minimizing the number of future victims.

Not at all. Lampooning Americans who believe that thoughts and prayer are enough action to solve the issue of mass gun violence is hardly the only thing that was going on in that episode. If I recall, most of the lampooning in that episode was of superficiality in general, especially superficial romantic relationships that serve the industry.

People do seem to lose sight of the fact that you can do both.

1 Like

That’s why I get into arguments with people on both the ideological left and right. People are entrenched in their “teams” believing “compromise” is a dirty word, and thinking there’s only one course you can take. I think it’d be better if we viewed solutions as a buffet, and picked the best ideas from all sides.

1 Like

I’m sure you can, but which is more effective? The problems I have with the improve mental health service line are as follows:

1. How many spree killers would have been diagnosed as having mental health issues? I very much doubt the guy in NZ would have been. It feels to me like we’re diagnosing after the event. Well, he must have been nuts.
  2. Does any country have the resources to provide mental health services for everyone, even if they’re not seeking help?

The mental health excuse is just that. An excuse. People who support gun ownership view, possibly subconsciously, spree killings as a trade off for their desire to own guns.

I’m no better. I accept road deaths as a trade off for my desire to drive a car. But at least I support measures to minimise road deaths. I don’t fight them tooth and nail.

1 Like

As far as I know, the gun show loophole hasn’t been closed. Background check still isn’t operating at its original scope. Federal Assault Weapons Ban still hasn’t been picked up since it expired in 2004. Multiple attemps of renewing AWB or making it permanent failed due to Republican opposition.

So exactly what has been done since Sandy Hook, Las Vegas and all those horrific shootings?

The difference is cars serve a practical purpose in every day life. Unless you’re a hunter or farmer (or live in a dangerous area in which you are at risk of violent crime), guns are just for pleasure.

Again, why would you need assault weapons to hunt or farm?

1 Like

I 100% agree.

Two things. First, this will quickly devolve into a long and very heated shitstorm about our 2nd amendment. I’ve had many, many, many conversations about 2A outside the US, but I’ve never had one that shed more light than heat (plenty like that in the US, too). There is nothing for me to gain from having these conversations online.

The short answer is that, as far as I know, almost all the realistic things being done (for one example, trying to shoehorn red flag laws into passing constitutional muster) are being done outside the Democrat party, and for good reason. If you’re a Democrat then you are probably not a part of this dialogue.

Second and more importantly, this thread is about New Zealand, not the US. You can take the topic up on the “USA and gun control” thread, if you like.