Make anonymous calls

You can withold the caller ID from your cellphone by dialling #31# before the number. ie you dial #31#0932123456

Sorry if this is WTLW.

But what would be the point? Does anybody actually answer calls with number witheld? I sure don’t.

I don’t either.

Does anyone know how to do it from a landline?

So, that is why you don’t answer my calls. I have caller ID switched off as default on my cellphone.

[quote=“sandman”]But what would be the point? Does anybody actually answer calls with number witheld? I sure don’t.[/quote]Ever wanted to call the cops while your hoodlum neighbor is beating up his wife again, but not wanted any reprisals in case the two parties just happen to be buddies? Or call a tow truck to yank that black 530 from in front of your driveway, with the same concerns?
I can think of many such uses. Remember the case recently where a girl was raped, and the cops sent her to the hospital where she was admitted in order to be identified, attacking her again? :noway: If you cannot trust the cops to protect your identity even in a case like this, then who can you trust?

I do. Quite a few calls I receive from overseas do not display a number.

You could check with the operator/service provider as the exchange decides that.

Depending on the operator/service provider and type of connection (e.g. analog or ISDN) this may or may not be possible. If it can be done it will most likely be a permanent change though (until you apply for showing the ID again).

[quote=“hsiadogah”]Ever wanted to call the cops while your hoodlum neighbor is beating up his wife again, but not wanted any reprisals in case the two parties just happen to be buddies? Or call a tow truck to yank that black 530 from in front of your driveway, with the same concerns?
I can think of many such uses. Remember the case recently where a girl was raped, and the cops sent her to the hospital where she was admitted in order to be identified, attacking her again? :noway: If you cannot trust the cops to protect your identity even in a case like this, then who can you trust?[/quote]It would only stop Caller ID, they can still trace the call the old fashioned way if they really wanted I guess. A public phone would be more anonymous.

[quote]Ever wanted to call the cops while your hoodlum neighbor is beating up his wife again, but not wanted any reprisals in case the two parties just happen to be buddies? Or call a tow truck to yank that black 530 from in front of your driveway, with the same concerns?
I can think of many such uses. Remember the case recently where a girl was raped, and the cops sent her to the hospital where she was admitted in order to be identified, attacking her again? If you cannot trust the cops to protect your identity even in a case like this, then who can you trust?[/quote]
Don’t be mistaken - the network can be and often is configured in such a way that certain called parties (e.g. authorities) can see the identity, even it supresses it for other, private users.
As well all the digital exchanges keep a record of all calls, including the calling and called numbers, date, time etc. - regardless if you use CLIR (Calling Line Identification Restriction) or not.
Showing the number is called CLIP (Calling Line Identification Presentation) btw.

Here are a few more codes to play around with, strictly at your own risk .

[quote=“Rascal”]
Don’t be mistaken - the network can be and often is configured in such a way that certain called parties (e.g. authorities) can see the identity[/quote]Yes, I was aware of that, thanks. If involved in anything that dubious I would advise taking further steps, like a disposable number (IF card etc.). It is pretty handy for avoiding simple random stupidity and for doing things like calling sales people and not being hassled with follow-up calls. Want to check out a potential client or employer on the sly without having to frig around looking for a payphone?