The GOP's House of Representatives Thread

Are you really that inept that you can’t find them?

To be clear here, are you saying that no Democrats have previously officially objected to certification of election results, specifically in 2000, 2004, and 2016?

You’re implying this is new. Do you mean to say that it’s never been done before or simply isn’t common?

Is the claim that it’s illegal in some manner? Would you like a prediction that will be entirely accurate of what is going to happen?

Yes, I’m saying a concerted effort by the losing party to throw out certified election results and install the losing party is unprecedented in modern times. This is NOT to be confused with symbolic raising of objections at the counting of the electoral votes. Cite me those videos that show me otherwise, unless you simply want to insist apples are oranges.

2 Likes

Conflating what is happening now with what has happened in the past requires quite the mental gymnastics routine. Even me saying you are comparing apples to oranges does not do justice to how wildly different and more dangerous this scenario is compared to ones prior.

Until the very end, Trump et al continue to pentest the rule of law in the US. Shameless, and quite frankly should be deemed criminal.

I think you are really missing the gravity of the situation here. Trump and his cult have moved the Overton window so much over the course of the last four years and you seem - at best - blissfully ignorant to the gravely dangerous implications of that.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s not really what I’m seeing. Most people I see are saying one way or another, get the facts out.

Given the state of the distrust, it seems a reasonable ask. :idunno:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/01/02/sen_blackburn_an_audit_will_answer_questions_as_to_what_happened_in_disputed_states.html

“This audit will answer the questions as to what happened in some of the disputed states,” she said. “There are many questions in Pennsylvania. But when you look at what transpired this year and people saying, we want to know what happened.”

Sadly, this is where we get stuck, the but but but they did it!

“You also have to realize what happened over the last four years,” Blackburn continued. “The Democrats never accepted President Trump. They spent every single day trying to undermine him, trying to work against him, trying to obstruct. The day after, they named themselves the resistance and said they were going to resist him every single day.”

I wonder what the Long Game is?

The state of Pennsylvania is still uncertain just how many residents voted in the 2020 election, a state official revealed this week, amid allegations of discrepancies between ballots and voter rolls in the battleground state.

Pennsylvania was thrown back into the limelight this week when a group of Republican state representatives claimed to have found “troubling discrepancies between the numbers of total votes counted and total number of voters who voted” in the state last month.

“A comparison of official county election results to the total number of voters who voted on November 3, 2020 as recorded by the Department of State shows that 6,962,607 total ballots were reported as being cast,” a press release announcing the findings said, “while DoS/SURE system records indicate that only 6,760,230 total voters actually voted.”

OK, and the other side says:

The Pennsylvania State Department strongly disputed the representatives’ allegations of mismatched vote totals, with spokeswoman Wanda Murren calling it “uninformed, lay analysis combined with a basic lack of election administration knowledge.”

“This obvious misinformation put forth by [the representatives] is the hallmark of so many of the claims made about this year’s presidential election,” Murren continued, calling the allegations “wholly without basis.”

Except that it’s not wholly without basis. On its face there seems to be a discrepancy. This is the kind of slanted reporting fails us. If the numbers don’t match up they don’t match up. Just do the audit.

Why is asking for an audit a threat? There are channels built into the system for uncertainties. This is one of them. Claiming fact overload seems weak. Big Data is king. More data. Data now!

Here’s some hyperbole:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/12/31/tom_fitton_if_republicans_back_hawleys_electoral_college_objection_trump_will_be_made_lawful_winner.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/12/31/msnbcs_mehdi_hasan_hawley_has_outed_himself_as_the_lead_plotter_in_trumps_attempted_coup.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/12/30/george_conway_on_sen_hawley_this_is_just_the_height_of_absurdity_this_election_is_over.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/12/30/hawley_when_millions_of_americans_have_concerns_about_election_integrity_were_supposed_to_sit_down_and_shut_up.html

I can’t trust the opinions of these people. We have millions of government minions. Let them count the ballots and check the signatures. How difficult could it be? All the confusion does is promote complacency.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Racist or troll I’m not sure, but not bringing anything positive to the forums

Except that’s a load of crap - it’s all unsubstantiated allegation - claims thrown out without any proof. If they want this looked into, why aren’t they showing their evidence now, so there’s more time to look into it?

I’m in one of the “disputed” states, and nobody is coming forward with anything that anyone can actually look into.

2 Likes

And that is an opinion.

Uhm, how so? Many allegations have been made, many substantiated. For example:
https://www.cbs46.com/news/lawmakers-hear-bombshell-allegations-of-georgia-election-fraud/article_8404e930-35e5-11eb-8ac3-1fc96e3b52d8.html

I’m not sure what you mean. True, several cases were thrown out, but mostly for procedural challenges afaik.

I completely agree. It would certainly speed up the process, wouldn’t it? However, showing me and you evidence doesn’t have the sticking power of showing a relevant Court. I don’t need to personally see the evidence, but I’d like a Court to.

These are old cases of voter fraud off the Obama White House page:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/docs/pacei-voterfraudcases.pdf

So, voter fraud does happen, and given the state of governmental fuckery in well, just about everything this year, I would guess that there will indeed be more cases in the 2020 election.

A lot of the fraud cases in the Obama White House link I provided were individuals who forged names…small potatoes but still felonious activity. There should not only be a zero tolerance to voter fraud accepted by each and every political party, there should be zero tolerance to letting any of it slide. A lot of rules were changed due to the chaos covid brought along with it, so this year, yeah, I’m OK with people speaking up when they think they saw something.

Do we need to add a “STFU” to the See Something, Say Something trope if what is seen works in our favor?

This part is from The Congressional Record of January 6, 2001, at URL https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CREC-2001-01-06/pdf/CREC-2001-01-06.pdf
and the video at URL House Session | January 6, 2001 | C-SPAN.org .

Please note that dialogue takes place between these objections, most of it having to do with the invalidity of the objections because the lack of a Senate co-signer (apparently a requirement of a joint session).

Ms. WATERS of California. . . . I am present on the floor of the House of Representatives prepared to object to the electoral vote count for the State of Florida. . . .

p. H30, col. 1 (about 4/5 down the page), about 9:45 in the video

Mrs. MEEK of Florida. . . . I must object to the way the votes were handled in the State of Florida. . . .

p. H30, col. 2 (about 3/4 down the page), about 12:20 in the video.

Ms. JACKSON-LEE of Texas. . . . I intend to make a formal objection to the tally. . . .

p. H30, col. 3 (about 4/5 down the page), about 15:35 in the video.

Ms. LEE [of California]. . . . I object to the tallying and to accepting the electoral votes and will formally do so.

p. H31, col. 2 (about 1/5 down the page), about 18:42 in the video.

[At page H31, about 4/5 down the page (about 20:11 in the video) Rep. McKINNEY of Georgia spoke, not to object formally (as far as I could tell), but to air grievances about the conduct of the Florida election and to allege violations of the Voting Rights Act.]

Recess.

This part is also from The Congressional Record of January 6, 2001, at URL https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CREC-2001-01-06/pdf/CREC-2001-01-06.pdf and some of it can be found in the video at URL House Session | January 6, 2001 15:07:07 | C-SPAN.org , but a lot of this part was not in the video (or I couldn’t find it there).

Mr. HASTINGS of Florida. Mr. President, I object to the certificate from Florida.

p. H34, col. 1, bottom of the page.

Mrs. MEEK of Florida. Mr. President, I have an objection.

p. H34, col. 2, about 1/3 down the page.

Ms. BROWN of Florida. Mr. President, I stand for the purpose of objecting to the counting of the vote from the State of Florida as read.

p. H34, col. 2, about halfway down the page

Ms. EDDIE BERNICE JOHNSON of Texas. Mr. President, I rise on behalf of the Congressional Black Caucus to object to the 25 electoral votes from Florida.

p. H34, col. 3, near the top of the page

Mr. CUMMINGS [of Maryland]. I have an objection.

p. H34, col. 3, 1/3 down the page

Ms. JACKSON-LEE of Texas. Mr. President, I have an objection.

p. H34, col. 3, 2/3 down the page

Ms. WATERS. Mr. Vice President, I rise to object to the fraudulent 25 Florida electoral votes.

p. H35, col. 1, near the top of the page

Ms. LEE. Mr. President, I have an objection.

p. H35, col. 1, about halfway down the page

Ms. MCKINNEY. Mr. President, I have an objection at the desk to Florida’s 25 electoral votes.

p. H35, col. 1, about 3/4 down the page

Mrs. MINK of Hawaii. Mr. President, I want to voice my objection.

p. H35, col. 1, at the bottom of the page

Mrs. CLAYTON [of North Carolina]. Mr. President, I rise in objection to the Florida electoral votes, and I rise to object to the process that, indeed, that voters do count, the essence of democracy demands that we speak to it.

p. H35, col. 2, about 1/4 down the page

Mr. FILNER [of California]. I have an objection to the electoral votes from Florida.

p. H35, col. 3, near the top of the page

Mr. JACKSON of Illinois. Mr. President, I have an objection.

p. H36, col. 1, about 1/4 down the page

Ms. WATERS of California. . . . [Rep. WATERS continues her earlier objection and seems to express disapproval of the requirement that at least one person from the Senate side approve her objection and the objections of other House members in order for the objections to be acceptable. Discusses other election-related grievances.] p. H46, col. 1 (about 4/5 down the page), about 3:03 in the video.

There seemed to be some discussion of withdrawing from the session, but the Vice President did not approve of it, citing the requirements of a joint session of Congress.

News conference: Congressional Black Caucus rejects Florida vote count:

It’s an opinion shared by every agency responsible for these things, including those run by die hard Trump supporters. And by basically every court, including those presided over by Trump appointees, where these claims have been laughed out of court.

No, that’s are a good example of crap claims. Unless you think republican Trump supporters are leading a cover-up of attempts to steal the election from Trump, because… reasons?

No, many were thrown out because they.werw nonsense. Take a look at the nonsense that was filed in PA and the beat down in the courts there.

They could start by showing to the agencies responsible for the count, like in the PA case you linked, where they don’t know what data the Republicans are using. That seems like the sensible thing if you want the truth, no?

Nobody, but nobody denies that individual cases of voter fraud happens (anecdotally, seems more often on the Republican side. Speaking of which, we should probably look into Trump’s fraudulent voting in florida, where he’s not actually a resident, evidenced by him using a non residential address, right? Ha.), but that’s not the issue here.

2 Likes

GOP can die for all I care, take the Dems with them while they’re at it. I’ve had it with these clowns on both sides. Besides maybe Trump, I’m probably looking to vote independent again.

1 Like

seems you need to cite me more than one instance, in something that was a total clusterfuck (florida, 2000), to show that it’s really common. ;D

I can’t read this. Can you clean up the quotes? Thanks.

We need term limits for congress. Watching Beijing Mitch screw us while his family profit off of Chinese trade interests and watching Pelosi’s “let them eat cake” attitude with the 600 check after months of stalling and even a long vacation…I just can’t stand it. Get rid of these fools.

I tried. Doesn’t seem to take? All the quote /quote tags and parens seem in place. :dunno

But I’m sure you can figure it out, of you actually care about the content. :wink:

After the 2004 election:

https://edition.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/06/electoral.vote.1718/

From the article linked above:

https://edition.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/06/electoral.vote/

After the 2016 election:

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/06/politics/electoral-college-vote-count-objections/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-congress-idUSKBN14Q25R
From the Reuters article:

Thank you for the links. I would chalk those up to mostly symbolic objections, which I alluded to earlier. Yes, those regularly happen. Those delays of a couple hours are nothing like the continued attempt to overturn the votes we have going on now.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

1 Like

It’s the curse of the overzealous poster. Been there. :wink:

Unless you link to it, nah. like the recent Texas complaint. Thrown out not bc of the claims, but bc the Court said this wasn’t the right place to file the complaint.

Now, I agree, if one is going to file the complaints do it the right way.

Absolutely. When I watched the Release the Kraken presser, Rudy’s leaking hairline was the only factual piece of data I took home.

Well, some people do, and then they cover their arse by saying, well, no WIDESPREAD corruption.