Make text into a picture?

If you have, say, an address in Chinese characters in Word format, is there a way to make it into a jpg file so that someone without Chinese on their computer can print it out?

Sandman, easiest way is to convert it into a PDF file, then there should be no problems

Wouldn’t they have to have Chinese support on Acrobat Reader?

Do a screen capture of that window using alt-PrtScrn.
Paste it into Microsoft Paint (or other drawing program).
Edit down to the size and shape you want.
Either send them the .BMP file from MS-Paint, or use another tool to convert it. PaintShop Pro (PSP) can do it, or you can use one of the various free tools on the web (some of which are perfectly legitimate and don’t include spyware or other crap).

Do a screen capture of that window using alt-PrtScrn.
Paste it into Microsoft Paint (or other drawing program).
Edit down to the size and shape you want.
Either send them the .BMP file from MS-Paint, or use another tool to convert it. PaintShop Pro (PSP) can do it, or you can use one of the various free tools on the web (some of which are perfectly legitimate and don’t include spyware or other crap).[/quote]
I tried that alt-print screen thing, but nothing happened.

[quote=“sandman”]I tried that alt-print screen thing, but nothing happened.[/quote]Then open a drawing program, MS Paint will do, Then press Ctrl+V

You’re using Microsoft Windows, right?

Open MS-Paint from your Programs->Accessories->Paint (in Chinese, it’s “Xiao Hua Jia”, little artist)

Pop some window to the top

Hold down the Alt key and push the PrintScreen key

Bring MS-Paint to the top

Type ctrl-V (paste).

Should work; if not, sorry, I don’t know what else to try. It functions fine for me in Win2K at the moment, and I know it worked in Win98, and I think Win95 as well. If it doesn’t work, perhaps it’s a keyboard problem, or something with a Microsoft update that did something snarky, dunno.

You could always take a photo with a digicam and send the photo. Might need to edit it with an image editor to make the picture readable/printable, though.

[quote]Wouldn’t they have to have Chinese support on Acrobat Reader?
[/quote]

No I don’t believe so. If the source machine can print the Chinese OK then it should be able to print to the PDF distiller OK also, and be perfectly readable at the other end. Same goes for Logos etc

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]
Either send them the .BMP file from MS-Paint, or use another tool to convert it[/quote]

mS-Paint can save as JPG.

Acrobat requires language packs. The other day I got a Japanese brochure as PDF and it displayed really weird things. The reader prompted me for a download and after that it was ok (not that I can read Japanese though …).

As to the initial problem you could use some graphics program like Paint Shop Pro that has a capture function.
It can read and save into nearly any format, including those that some of us have never heard of.

Pr(in)t Sc(reen) and pasting (CTRL-V) it into another application like Word, Paint, Power Point etc. works fine though and is perhaps easier …

I’m surprised there isn’t a website that’ll do it for you. I found this site:
mandarintools.com/hangif.html
But couldn’t get any of them to work :frowning:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“MaPoSquid”]
Either send them the .BMP file from MS-Paint, or use another tool to convert it[/quote]

mS-Paint can save as JPG.[/quote]
Depends on the version – thanks for mentioning this, as it couldn’t under Win95 and Win98, but it looks like Win2K can do it, and presumably WinXP has it too.

[quote]Acrobat requires language packs. The other day I got a Japanese brochure as PDF and it displayed really weird things. The reader prompted me for a download and after that it was ok (not that I can read Japanese though …).
[/quote]

Thanks for that Rascal. I always thought PDFs were immune to language pack issues. Good to know

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“MaPoSquid”]
MS-Paint can save as JPG.[/quote]
Depends on the version – thanks for mentioning this, as it couldn’t under Win95 and Win98, but it looks like Win2K can do it, and presumably WinXP has it too.[/quote]
Indeed, with Windows 98 you can only save pictures from MS-Paint as BMP - unless you have MS Office installed. Then you can save as GIF or JP(E)G as well! Bizarre, isn’t it? Should you be in the position of having Windows 98, no Office and no alternative graphics program (e.g. Irfanview, Paintshop Pro) - you can convert your BMP files to GIF with an unobtrusive little free program called Giffy.

…All of which is a diversion, since a BMP file will be fine for Sandman’s purpose.

Sandman, you can type characters into a picture in MS Paint. You can copy (highlight + Ctrl-C) the characters from MS-Word or whatever text program and paste them (Ctrl-V) into MS Paint. You can change the size of the text before you fix it into the picture. Still, I think screen capture from Word (or other word processor) as suggested above would make it easier for you to control the appearance of the text.

Thanks for all the help and advice. The matter’s been taken care of.