Making Canadians

[quote=“Gilgamesh”]We just got back from applying for the citizenship certificate and a passport for our new daughter. They have a new rule concerning the passports. If you want to apply for a passport at the same time as the citizenship certificate, or apply for a passport before the citizenship certificate arrives, you need to have a plane ticket to show that you plan on travelling. As far as I understand this only concerns newborns who have not had a passport yet.

We didn’t have this so they wouldn’t allow us to apply for the passport. I complained about this rule and asked for an explanation of the point behind the new rule but no one really knew. I was told that Passport Canada made this a rule in February but they didn’t know the reason behind it. I can’t fathom the reasoning behind the rule and it just seems silly to me.[/quote]
You can get around this by providing a travel itinerary, which is not the same as buying a ticket. If you have a travel agent willing to do this for you, no ticket is necessary. It IS a stupid rule, though.

The trade office has moved you might want to edit the OP to reflect their new address: 6F, Hua-Hsin Building, No. 1 SongZhi Road, Xinyi District, Taipei 11047, Taiwan

Oh and that also means the picture place won’t be around the corner anymore. hmmm.

So strange. I’m looking around the embassy’s website and I can’t find any links to download the passport forms/info for my son…do i have to go there in person?

And there’s no links about passports whatsoever. No rules regulations…nothing.

canada.org.tw

[quote=“Mordeth”]So strange. I’m looking around the embassy’s website and I can’t find any links to download the passport forms/info for my son…do I have to go there in person?

canada.org.tw[/quote]
canada.org.tw/taiwan/consula … g#passport

[quote=“funkymonkey”][quote=“Mordeth”]So strange. I’m looking around the embassy’s website and I can’t find any links to download the passport forms/info for my son…do I have to go there in person?

canada.org.tw[/quote]
canada.org.tw/taiwan/consula … g#passport[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I love that ‘Guarantor clause’.
Whatever civil servant thought up that jumpable hoop and prime cash generator, is most certainly a fiend amongst fiends.
[/quote]

I always hated that clause. I mean, how many regular folks are well-acquainted with magistrates, judges, officers of banks, etc. as if dentists are somehow above culpability or mendacity… get real.

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]I love that ‘Guarantor clause’.
Whatever civil servant thought up that jumpable hoop and prime cash generator, is most certainly a fiend amongst fiends.
[/quote]

I always hated that clause. I mean, how many regular folks are well-acquainted with magistrates, judges, officers of banks, etc. as if dentists are somehow above culpability or mendacity… get real.[/quote]

Tried to get my son’s doctor to sign his pictures…he refused. :unamused:

So for the PPTC 132 “Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor” what do I need to bring?

Oh, Canada… :laughing:

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]I love that ‘Guarantor clause’.
[/quote]

I always hated that clause. I mean, how many regular folks are well-acquainted with magistrates, judges, officers of banks, etc. as if dentists are somehow above culpability or mendacity… get real.[/quote]

Tried to get my son’s doctor to sign his pictures…he refused. :unamused:

So for the PPTC 132 “Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor” what do I need to bring?[/quote]
From their website:

Please Note: The PPT 132 form may not be accepted in some situations. For example, if you have been living in Taiwan for over 3 years, you will be expected by Passport Canada to have a guarantor and the form will likely be refused.

[quote=“funkymonkey”]

Please Note: The PPT 132 form may not be accepted in some situations. For example, if you have been living in Taiwan for over 3 years, you will be expected by Passport Canada to have a guarantor and the form will likely be refused.[/quote]

But considering it’s a “rule” for doctors and dentists to NOT sign forms…I think they’ll understand.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“funkymonkey”]

Please Note: The PPT 132 form may not be accepted in some situations. For example, if you have been living in Taiwan for over 3 years, you will be expected by Passport Canada to have a guarantor and the form will likely be refused.[/quote]

But considering it’s a “rule” for doctors and dentists to NOT sign forms…I think they’ll understand.[/quote]

I didn’t get any hassle at all other that being questioned “Why is it that you have been here for 12 years and don’t know anyone to sign the form?” Answer “I know a a few people on your list but they freak out a little bit when you ask them to sign something for you”

I used to have a doctor friend in town who did this but he moved to Changhwa so it’s just easier to pay them than do all the footwork now.

I’m friends with the local…head of area…guy. Sigh.

The head of a city is a Mayor
the head of an area of the city is a ________.

Can he sign the guarantor papers?

[quote=“navillus”][quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“funkymonkey”]

But considering it’s a “rule” for doctors and dentists to NOT sign forms…I think they’ll understand.[/quote]

I didn’t get any hassle at all other that being questioned “Why is it that you have been here for 12 years and don’t know anyone to sign the form?” Answer “I know a a few people on your list but they freak out a little bit when you ask them to sign something for you”

I used to have a doctor friend in town who did this but he moved to Zhanghua so it’s just easier to pay them than do all the footwork now.[/quote]

I did the “in Lieu of guarantor” form no problem. Just told her that doctors refuse to sign and that was nothing new for her. And she said it wouldn’t affect the time it took to get the passport. It was a fairly easy process. I didn’t have some of the info they needed. Namely my work info for the last 5 years. I told her I worked “here and there” and I didn’t have addresses…and she was like “OK, I’ll just write ‘ground school’ and that’s fine”. Went rather smoothly.

Also the new office is 3 minutes walking distance from Taipei 101.

Passport is already ready. They said 3 weeks it only took 1.

Quick question though. I use my son’s Canadian passport to get him into Canada. But what about when the little half breed is re-entering Taiwan? Do I need to apply for his Taiwanese passport to get him back into this country? Or can he enter with his Canadian one?

He needs to leave and enter Taiwan on the same passport. If he leaves on the Canadian one, he’ll need to re-enter on the same one and he’ll then need a visa, ARC, visa runs, etc., just like any other foreigner.
In fact, if he was born here there’s a good chance he won’t even be allowed to leave on anything other than a local passport (I’m not 100 percent on this part though).

[quote=“sandman”]He needs to leave and enter Taiwan on the same passport. If he leaves on the Canadian one, he’ll need to re-enter on the same one and he’ll then need a visa, ARC, visa runs, etc., just like any other foreigner.
In fact, if he was born here there’s a good chance he won’t even be allowed to leave on anything other than a local passport (I’m not 100 percent on this part though).[/quote]

Thanks for that. I’m new to this dual passport thing. But I should have thought of it before now. I’m supposed to leave next week…now I got to rush to get the Taiwan passport.

Yes… passports are not something to put off till the last minute: they take time, sometimes weeks.

Perhaps they have an expedite option.

FYI:

As of February 1, 2012, all Canadian citizenship certificates are 8.5x11 paper size documents. The “cards” are no longer issued after February 1, 2012. See cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

I sent in our application for my child’s citizenship certificate in February 2011 from California to Nova Scotia. CIC received it 2/21/2011. They started processing it 3/18/2011. They issued the citizenship card 1/24/2012. I received it in Taiwan (mail rerouted from US) 2/29/2012. So on average, 11 months.

[quote=“914”]FYI:

As of February 1, 2012, all Canadian citizenship certificates are 8.5x11 paper size documents. The “cards” are no longer issued after February 1, 2012. See cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

I sent in our application for my child’s citizenship certificate in February 2011 from California to Nova Scotia. CIC received it 2/21/2011. They started processing it 3/18/2011. They issued the citizenship card 1/24/2012. I received it in Taiwan (mail rerouted from US) 2/29/2012. So on average, 11 months.[/quote]

Talking about efficiency eh?

My son is just shy of 22 months old, he had 3 passports for over an year already. (Taiwan, Japan, Canada)

Question: my child was born in Taiwan a few weeks ago. I need to get back to Canada as soon as possible as that is where my job is. Could she simply enter Canada with her Taiwanese passport and we’ll take care of all the Canadian citizenship stuff when we’re back in Canada?