Making the perfect paella

The pro stuff can be a bit pricy, like a cast-iron enameled pan, 30.5 cm, which has paella & casserole-style handles; suitable for paella or shallow casseroles or braising. Robert informs me that the similar Le Creuset pan is about $300 USD. With lid, theirs is NT$4200, or less than half the price. So it’s pricey for average people, but a bargain compared to other pro stuff. :idunno: The lid alone weighs as much as an average cheap pan, btw. :noway:

In stuff suitable for paella they also have a black iron professional 36 cm frypan with one long handle and one helper handle; needs seasoning but at only around US$38, not a bad price for the quality.

Their small items like spatulas are good quality too, around NT$200 for the ones I looked at. I’d rather get a good one for 200 than a crap one at Wellcome for $75.

4200 isn’t expensive at all if it’s similar to the Froggy stuff. It’s less than I paid for my current favourite pan about 15 years ago, which is still in good nick, while all my others have been replaced at least once, sometimes twice or three times.

Stay away from the enamelware - it’ll take you at least 10min to chip it. Well…at least for people that are all thumbs like me :smiley:

There’s a paella recipe in Larousse Gastronomique, the encyclopedia of cooking. Ever pro cook has it, why not check it out.

I think I’ll try it soon.

Sorry I’m kinda feeling lazy at the moment to type it up; just spent a couple hours cooking. I have a scanned copy of the original French; maybe that’ll help some.

Found this page that includes many recipes, including one thats a mix of the above recipe and a few others.

gumbopages.com/food/spanish/paella.html

I think the sale at the abovementioned cookware store is over at the end of the month, so if you’re going to pick up a pricey pan, I’d do it now. :wink:

I spent about NT$35k there just a couple of weeks ago. Great stuff. One of those giant chopping block/prep table things on wheels, a couple of copper-bottomed pans, a super-skillet, pie tins, a beautiful-looking round-bottomed copper whisking bowl, various bits and pieces. They threw in a free NT$1,000 set of scales and a couple of these space-age cake moulds made out of silicone – looks and feels like rubber, but you can bake them in the oven. Weird. Too scared to try them out.
Even delivered the stuff for us for free – they were waiting at our lane-end when we got home that evening. Nice people. Very poor on knife selection, though, which I found a bit odd. Or maybe they saw me coming and hid them away, just in case.

My first paella turned out a bit soft; the rice wasn’t firm enough. On Saturday I tried again, reducing the liquid and upping the rice slightly, and I found it was hard to judge when the liquid was almost gone (which is when you add the squid and shrimp, in my recipe). I ended up scorching the bottom layer of the rice. :blush:

Now I know a tip for avoiding that. Make sure you have a glass lid for your paella pan, and, holding the handles and lid with potholders, occasionally tilt the pan until the liquid reaches the glass lid. You can judge the remaining amount of liquid this way. If it’s almost gone and the rice isn’t quite done yet, you can add a bit of chicken broth.

By going easy on the liquid at the beginning, and adding more as needed, you can thus achieve better control of the rice texture. :smiley:

Oh, and I used regular long-grain Taiwanese rice, and it worked fine. I’ll be trying other rices later, but it’s nice to know an easily available, economic choice exists.