Making-up Holidays on Saturdays

I’m obviously still fairly new here. But what’s up with “making up” holidays on Saturday? Do other countries of the world do this?

:loco:

[quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]I’m obviously still fairly new here. But what’s up with “making up” holidays on Saturday? Do other countries of the world do this?

:loco:[/quote]
Yes, seen it in a few countries (incl. Europe).

It’s all the DPP’s fault. :rainbow:

In my workplace, we’re not making up holidays per se - we’re making up days that would have been a one day work week breaking up a long holiday plus a weekend that work decided to make holidays to extend the vacation. Still, I can’t say I appreciate it given that I’m not included in the decision process to do that. A one day weekend is definitely not enough to recharge to get back to work on Monday. :noway:

Making up holidays on Saturdays. Ha! That sucks. Bizzaro World stuff.

well it wasnt too long ago when everyone in taiwan worked at least 9am to 12noon on saturdays !!!

NOW THAT WAS B.S. big time

[quote=“tommy525”]well it wasn’t too long ago when everyone in taiwan worked at least 9am to 12noon on saturdays !!!

NOW THAT WAS B.S. big time[/quote]

Yup, I did that! Every second Saturday!

[quote=“Anubis”][quote=“tommy525”]well it wasn’t too long ago when everyone in taiwan worked at least 9am to 12noon on saturdays !!!

NOW THAT WAS B.S. big time[/quote]

Yup, I did that! Every second Saturday![/quote]

They still do that in Hong Kong… and in the mainland, don’t they have to work like two weeks straight before 10/1 to get all those days off?

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“ILoveItHereButIDoMissSnow”]I’m obviously still fairly new here. But what’s up with “making up” holidays on Saturday? Do other countries of the world do this?

:loco:[/quote]
Yes, seen it in a few countries (incl. Europe).[/quote]

Yeah, make up days for holidays … but not on Saturdays … now you make me thinking … anyways, in Belgium we have the other way around … when the holidays falls on a Saturday or Sunday, they’ll move it to another day … sometimes to later in the month or year to make a ‘bridge’ on another holiday and extend that holiday let’s say to Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday … or, to the next Monday or previous Friday

[quote=“belgian pie”]

Yeah, make up days for holidays … but not on Saturdays … now you make me thinking … anyways, in Belgium we have the other way around … when the holidays falls on a Saturday or Sunday, they’ll move it to another day … sometimes to later in the month or year to make a ‘bridge’ on another holiday and extend that holiday let’s say to Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday … or, to the next Monday or previous Friday[/quote]

Ours usually end up falling on a Monday. Even if the Holiday is on a Wednesday, it will often be moved to the Monday before.

Matt

Taiwan is screwed-up … I suppose they have the least amount of holidays in the industrialized world

Especially for the office staff. At the law firm I used to work at in Taipei, we had to make up a holiday with a Saturday work day once. None of the partners or senior associates showed up (including me), only the secretaries and junior associates did, none of whom had any work to do because no partners or senior associates were there to give them something to do. My secretary said she and the others gabbed all day, took a long lunch and were allowed to go home at 3 p.m.

The managing partner then got labelled the “generous” boss for letting them leave early (he called from home). :loco:

That’s pretty funny.

I don’t know about law firms in Taiwan, but there is always plenty of work to do in most law firms (large to mid-sized–don’t know about small ones, but I’d include them too) in the states regardless of whether partners/senior associates are in the office. And usually, if the partners/senior associates didn’t show up for work because they are taking a day off, they are still doing some work from home. I would guess that the “generous” boss calling from home was not actually working at home?

Office workers in Taiwan can/will not do anything out of own initiative, they need directions from supervisors …