Making Yogurt at Home

Sorry finley, could you post a picture of this yogurt? thanks! :slight_smile:

google.com.tw/imgres?imgurl= ā€¦ 32&bih=532

Thanks! I actually ended up buying another yogurt (didnā€™t have the picture with me at that moment), but I read on the label that it had like 4 or 5 bacteria. I will try tonight.

Oh, that wonā€™t be enough. Youā€™ll need thousands of the little buggers to get it going. :wink:

xD

Chus, go to the organic foodstores, they have packets of live bacteria for your yogurt.

Chus, go to the organic foodstores, they have packets of live bacteria for your yogurt.[/quote]
They used to have that years ago ā€¦ all flavoured crap.

Living or pasturized and dead? Thickener added? Stabilizers?

Chus, go to the organic foodstores, they have packets of live bacteria for your yogurt.[/quote]
They used to have that years ago ā€¦ all flavoured crap.[/quote]

Organic no do flavored crap.

Packets have live bacteria and thatā€™s all. I know, I have bought them.

They used to have that years ago ā€¦ all flavoured crap.[/quote]

Organic no do flavored crap.

Packets have live bacteria and thatā€™s all. I know, I have bought them.[/quote]
There was a time many years ago that they promoted the hell out of home yogurt makers and sold those crap live yogurt flavoured very expensive packs ā€¦ people bought into it, then stopped because of all the trouble involved and cheaper supermarket premade crap yogurt. Now a few companies make good living yogurt, but itā€™s expensive still. Never saw the stuff you posted about as I alway brought them from Europe.

Sorry, but your statement made it look like you knew what I was talking about -which was specifically the one sold at organic stores- and called it crap, flavored crap.

Today I finally found the time and the energy to start this small kitchen adventure. I ā€œsterilizedā€ (kind of) the glass and boiled the water, and when I was going to mix the yogurt with the milk, I found that the yogurt was soooo lean, water-like, so Iā€™m not sure if this is gonig to work. I mean, may be the bateria are still there and they just canā€™t make that ā€œyogurtā€ in the bottle any thicker because thereā€™s not enough fat/sugar on it, butā€¦ well, I dunno.

For making the culture temperature stable I decided to put the glasses inside a port with warm water, that I might warm up again in an hour or so. The pot is also in a closet, as insulated as possible :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT:

the yogurt claims to have the following bacteria:

• Streptococcus thermophilus
  • Lactobacillus acidophilus La5
  • bifidobacterium lactis Bb12
  • lactobacillus bulgaricus

J80, there are thinner yogurt drinks (liquids) in little bottles, and then there are eating yogurts (thick like pudding) in little cups. As long as they have ę“»čŒ (live bacteria) on the label, I doubt it matters which you use, although I think Iā€™ve only used the thick yogurts as starters.

Sounds like youā€™re doing fine so far. Donā€™t disturb (stir/shake/tip) the yogurt till it sets, which could take 8-14 hours in this weather, depending on how consistent you keep that water bathā€™s temperature. I find yogurt to be quite forgiving and easy to make, though. Good luck!

I opened one of the glasses and it looked nice! It wasnā€™t very thick though, so I tried and gave a bit to my gf and after deliberating for a while, put some water to 45Āŗ and the glasses inside again. Tomorrow morning Iā€™ll put them in the fridge, and Iā€™m sure that the yogurt will be more consistent :slight_smile:

The taste was sour/acid, which is no surprise, yet it still had some somewhat sweet notes. Letā€™s see how it tastes tomorrow.

Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s possible to add jam or honey DURING the process, not just at the end. I might try it the next batch.

Quick update: it is GOOD. And mixed with orange mermelade, itā€™s SO GOOD :smiley:

:thumbsup: Good job! With none of the gutter oil, melamine or plasticizers theyā€™ve been poisoning us with, either.

Yeah, only with whatever chemical stuff that the milk and the other yogurt hadā€¦ :smiley:

I would love to have some old fashionable village near in the mountains where to buy raw milkā€¦

[quote=ā€œjesus80ā€]Yeah, only with whatever chemical stuff that the milk and the other yogurt hadā€¦ :smiley:

I would love to have some old fashionable village near in the mountains where to buy raw milkā€¦[/quote]

Buy organic man, it is the closest. It tastes absolutely different from that chalk powder sold at 7-11.

This gives me an idea. I wonder if I can make my own sour cream at home. Iā€™m guessing I canā€™t use the culture from yogurt. apparently need something called ā€œDirect Set Starter Cultureā€